Just how close is it?

I have a special and unique proposition for the National Football League. This propostion will finally bing closure to the idea of just how good some of the top ranked college football teams are and how seemingly bad select NFL teams are. Every year a week after the super bowl, there should be a nationally televised game featuring the champion collegiate team (Ohio state, oklahoma, etc) against the lowest ranked NFL team (raiders, lions, rams etc). The game would be hosted by the collegiate team in their very own stadium to give some sort of a slight edge to the collegiate team. In your honest opinion would this be a hit or a totally far fetched idea that would be a complete waste of time?

Something about this seems mean spirited and wrong. Why would the lowest NFL team want to highlight the fact that they suck-- by playing the best college team. Even if the game turned out to be close, I would imagine that the NFL team might turn dirty just to ensure that they won. Still though, I can't imagine any instance where the college team would win, unless of course the entire NFL team had a case of the runs.

What's the upside for the NFL? Why would they participate? Why would the NFL players give a damn?

I think the worst NFL team could absolute crush the best college team in the country 90 out of 100 times, maybe more. But unless they completely embarrass the college team, they still don't win in the public's eye. I could see the NFL team sitting starters and mildly injured players and having the scrubs not even give much of a crap. So in that case the NFL team wins in a close game or possibly even loses...a disaster for the NFL. So why play a game where there is no upside for the likely winner?

Additionally, why would a player risk injury to play in a meaningless game? Unlike the Probowl- which is an honor to play in, players would risk injury just to prove that they can beat a college team? I don't think so. You'd also have to assume that they'd want to get paid.

The premise of the thread rests on this, IMO:

This propostion will finally bing closure to the idea of just how good some of the top ranked college football teams are and how seemingly bad select NFL teams are.
[sIC]

Is there any big controversy here? Did I miss something (sure it's possible)? Are there respected and objective football analysts who suggest a great college team is better than a poor NFL team? If so, I have yet to hear that claim made by any credible person.

okay yeah you guys are right, there would have to be some sort of financial incentive and upside for the NFL, plus the worse team in the NFL would be far better than the best team in college. The college team would have to be an all start team made up of the best college players for that year (which would be top NFL prospects in the draft anyway). but then you bring in the idea of injuries and unneccesary risk and it shoots it down. i just think it ould be interesting to see for kicks

Back in the day an NFL team would play a college all star team. I think they did that up until the late 60's.

Yes, the College All-Star game pitted the NFL league champion vs a team of college allstar seniors. The last game was played in 1976.

I have a special and unique proposition for the National Football League. This propostion will finally bing closure to the idea of just how good some of the top ranked college football teams are and how seemingly bad select NFL teams are. Every year a week after the super bowl, there should be a nationally televised game featuring the champion collegiate team (Ohio state, oklahoma, etc) against the lowest ranked NFL team (raiders, lions, rams etc). The game would be hosted by the collegiate team in their very own stadium to give some sort of a slight edge to the collegiate team. In your honest opinion would this be a hit or a totally far fetched idea that would be a complete waste of time?

Even the best College teams only have a handful of players that make it to the NFL. They would get crushed and it would not be close.

I can hear the VP of Marketing talking to the players in the locker room after their last game.

"Hey listen-up guys. I know we had a hard season this year. Believe me, no one in the orginazation thought we were going to go 1-15 this year. But, I have a surprise for you guys. Since we finished with the worst record in the league this season, the NFL and NCAA has agreed to let as play <INSERT National Champion here>, for no other reason then to see if you sorry sacks of fecal matter can muster up enough heart and/or brains to beat a college team. So, chin up lads, you may feel like losers now, but just imagine how bad you'll feel if you lose NEXT week."

"Oh, did I forget to mention you won't be getting a game check for this? Well, seeya next week fellas."

Christ, you already have players skipping "mandatory" off-season work outs, mini-camps, training camps AND the Pro-Bowl. I'm gonna go ahead and say this doesn't have a snowballs chance in H-E-Double Hockey Sticks of happening.

Guest dog14787

I LOVE the idea! We could call it the Toilet Bowl

I brought up this same idea not to long ago here on TSW except the best UFL football team plays the worse NFL team and If the UFL team wins it replaces the NFL team the following season.(called it the toilet bowl)

I figured it might teach teams jockeying for the first pick of the draft a lesson.

Play to win or risk getting flushed down the toilet.

Makes more sense to me then collegiate, College teams would get obliterated in my opinion by even the worse NFL team.

Edited by dog14787

I brought up this same idea not to long ago here on TSW except the best UFL football team plays the worse NFL team and If the UFL team wins it replaces the NFL team the following season.(called it the toilet bowl)

I figured it might teach teams jockeying for the first pick of the draft a lesson.

Play to win or risk getting flushed down the toilet.

Makes more sense to me then collegiate, College teams would get obliterated in my opinion by even the worse NFL team.

The European soccer leagues do this, I believe. The bottom teams fall out of the "top" league, and are replaced with the top teams from the 2nd tier league. No idea how that could possibly work in the NFL though...the complications would be significant.

Edited by eball