I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE SPILLER PICK!!!

This is a great post on so many different levels.

As an aside, on draft day, I had so many different friends (who are fans of other teams) call me to congratulate me on the pick. One friend, for example, who is a fan of the Giants both congratulated me and was bemoaning the fact that he did not fall to the Giants. There is not one player that was picked after CJ that I would prefer to have on the team. We got a top five pick with the ninth pick in the draft. I am so happy we did not reach for a tackle or one of the mediocre QBs. I am a fan that really believes that the Bills have to upgrade the offensive line, but I am very happy that the Bills did not pass on CJ's unique abilities and reach to make some of the people on this board happy. It is obvious to me that Buddy has a plan and did a great job on draft day. I am happy that he is our GM.

My name is John Cocktosten and I was wrong about the CJ Spiller pick. It's not that I didn't like him as a player, I've said that I think he was the most exciting player in the draft. It was selecting a RB that bothered me (my rationale below). But after watching the Bengals game, I am here to say that I was completely wrong. He is Marshall Faulk/Gale Sayers, he's special beyond special and if he stays healthy, he will retire one of the great ones. So here's to Buddy Nix, your first pick as a Bills GM was BRILLIANT. May there be many more! :beer:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though Spiller has been great so far and has given us Bills fans something to be excited about, the one lesson this franchise has taught me over the last 10 years is to wait and see before defining ANYTHING.

Remember after the 05 opener how much we loved JP's intensity and arm strength?

Remember how much we loved Trent after a couple good performance sin the 4th quarter?

Remember how amazing Willis McGahee was?

Travis Henry?

I say just sit back, pull up a chair or barstool, gather with friends or family, and enjoy every minute of the Buffalo Bills season, and stop worrying about defining who is or isnt a good pick before they are even eligible to rent their own car.

Willis McGahee was only amazing in college before he blew out his knee.. We drafted him with no idea if he would fully recover and be as productive. I don't believe Travis Henry was ever considered "amazing" and he was drafted in the 2nd round. Henry sure was effective, even after he left.. until his drug conviction that is..

Good job John. Rarely will anyone here admit they were wrong, and at least you are not clinging to your original belief. Now we'll see how long it takes for Joe in Macungie to come around....

I don't mind be accountable especially when I was so vocal about the pick.

It is funny how some have taken this as my "stamp of approval" for Nix and I'm sure that comes off as self important but that wasn't my point at all.

My point was that I thought the Bills needed more from that pick but Spiller was a once in a lifetime in their eyes...and NOW I see what they meant.

However, I'm only left to dream about the Bills gong Spiller/Clausen..... :cry:

Can't say I'm as excited as you are base on two preseason games, (three if you include Washington, where he didn't play a whole lot), but I will admit that his ability to hit the holes and break into the secondary is phenomenal. The best part is, if he can do it now with ease, there's a huge chance that it will happen in the regular season, skill like that is natural and effective at any time.

Edited by bills1960

I didn't like the pick then ... and I don't like the pick now.

Don't take this wrong ... I absolutly love the player ... but that pick for this team at this time is bad.

It's bad for the fact that the Bills didn't seem to have a "plan" ... the pick was purly a luxury pick when we needed a "foundational" pick.

If let's say the Bills were on the verge of pulling the trigger on a trade for one of our starting RBs (either one, Lynch or Jackson) for an extra pick or two .... then yeah it would have been a GREAT pick. But what we did was add a running back into an already talented full backfield of a team devoid of talent in a number of areas .... did we need linemen (on both sides of the ball)? heck yeah ... did we need linebackers? heck yeah ... did we need wide recievers? heck yeah ... did we need a Tight End? heck yeah.

I understand all the hype of C.J. being a "home run hitter", but this team needs more guys capable of hitting singles before we worry about the home runs.

That being said ... he is a fun player to watch ... and he's much MUCH more fun to watch in our uniform than he would be in a Pats*, Jets, or Dolphins uni.

I didn't like the pick now and I still question the pick today. We didn't need a RB and we still have glaring offensive line needs and a QB issue to boot. As well as a pass rushing and linebacker need. IMHO, we could have moved down in the draft, acquired more picks and filled more needs.

If Spiller was so dynamic and a sure fire as Gayle Sears do you think the other 8 teams would have passed on him? I ask you to look at D Mcfadden...

Sure it is nice to get that "home run" hitter as one poster previously has said. What fan doesn't like a home run hitter? That doesn't equate to winning. A home run hitter will never win anything if he doesn't have a good supporting cast. Look at CJ for the Titans. Look at OJ for the Bills. We will get the wow factor from time to time but in the end this pick was a mistake in my humble opinion. We didn't have the luxury like the Chargers to pick a RB. We should have and could have addressed many more needs in our draft. I believe the lack of selecting and acquiring talented players in need areas will set this team's development back.

I know most of you will disagree and I respect that.

I didn't like the pick now and I still question the pick today. We didn't need a RB and we still have glaring offensive line needs and a QB issue to boot. As well as a pass rushing and linebacker need. IMHO, we could have moved down in the draft, acquired more picks and filled more needs.

If Spiller was so dynamic and a sure fire as Gayle Sears do you think the other 8 teams would have passed on him? I ask you to look at D Mcfadden...

Sure it is nice to get that "home run" hitter as one poster previously has said. What fan doesn't like a home run hitter? That doesn't equate to winning. A home run hitter will never win anything if he doesn't have a good supporting cast. Look at CJ for the Titans. Look at OJ for the Bills. We will get the wow factor from time to time but in the end this pick was a mistake in my humble opinion. We didn't have the luxury like the Chargers to pick a RB. We should have and could have addressed many more needs in our draft. I believe the lack of selecting and acquiring talented players in need areas will set this team's development back.

I know most of you will disagree and I respect that.

Ok, you want to be taken seriously. You say "we should have and could have addressed many more needs in the draft." Sorry, need some specifics here. What did mpl6876 the GM have in mind? Who would you have selected at #9, and if you would have traded, who were your trading partners and upon what basis do you know you could have made the deals? Furthermore, what "need areas" did the Bills fail to address? They needed DL help -- they drafted Troup in the 2nd round and Harrington in the 3rd (and signed Edwards in FA). They needed LB help -- they signed Davis in FA, and drafted Moats and Batten. They needed WR help -- they drafted Easley, and signed Jackson and Nelson. It's pretty clear thus far there were no desirable selections at QB at #9. So they didn't draft an OT -- that seems to be all those of you who say "they failed to address needs" have left. Oh wait -- they did that too (Wang).

Please, enlighten me. And tell me why drafting a guy who has the potential to SCORE every time he touches the ball is a bad idea for a young QB who needs confidence and a young OL trying to come together on a team that has been HORRID offensively for the past 6-7 years.

Edited by eball

It's looking like a great pick but comparing him to QBs who were drafted with him is silly at this early point.

The only information we have is how the rookies have played so far. What happens in the future remains to be seen and should be revisited in several years.

So because Spiller has looked good in preseason AND because none of the QBs or Left tackles drafted 4 months ago have done anthing yet, the Bills were right in drafting Spiller? This is funny.

Spiller might be an exciting player, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was the right pick. I am not saying he wasn't the BPA on the board, I just think that other options could and should have been explored. Maybe the were, but it appears to me that the Bills identified Spiller as their guy early on and jumped on him at 9. I personally would have rather seen them find a way to address some of the other areas of weakness on the team (OL, QB, LB, DL, WR) rather than adding another running back to the group we already had. RB was one of the clear strengths on the team and did not need to be added to. Again, I am not arguing that Spiller is a dynamic talent, I just think it was a luxury pick.

Just my opinion.

I see an understand your views that we have other needs that needed to be filled. But if CJ turns out to be ROY or close to it, would you still consider him a "luxury pick"?

except that its football 101 to "bounce it to the outside". that is really where all the room is. defenses WANT to push guys back inside to where all the bodies are. this, IMO, has been the biggest knock on most of our past RBs, they would never bust it outside for the big gains. we finally have someone who knows how to get to the sideline, cause once you break outside containment, it's nothing more than a simple foot race, and i'll take Spiller in that race every time.

maybe the space is in the middle on a few particular plays, but the general rule is: if you have speed, get outside.

:thumbsup:

Always liked the pick. I am looking forward to being in awe of CJ "tear it up" Spiller for a long time and thx John for saying you were wrong but give it time you might not have been ;) .

No JK the team needed a playmaker & he is that, hell I was in favor of Tebow just because he was such a TD machine.

BTW I do think it was a need given ML's issues off the field and the fact his contract is up this year and FJ's age (although I doubt it is as much of an issue as many of you do).

I'll just go a step further just for the sake of good and fun debate. What if we had a decent RE and we see a Bruce Smith available to draft. Do we pass him up and go and try and fill a need on the 0-line, LB or QB? This is assuming there is no Manning, Munoz, or Lawrence Taylor available to draft.

CJ Spillar could end up being an amazing cornerstone to our O for many years to come. IMO

Edited by Pilsner

Great players are looked over all the time. You've heard of a guy named Michael Jordan, right? The fact that 8 other teams didn't draft Spiller means nothing. It doesn't take into account front office drafting strategies, front office aptitude, etc.

Gruden thought Spiller was the most dynamic player in the draft.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!