Edwards Looks like A Different Man

tonyd19

I watched the Cinci game for the first time last night. Trent looks the same as he has in the past. He was dink/dunk down the field and missed Evans deep. I have said he would be the starter and believe he should be the starter. To say he looks much different, I just don't see that. The difference is that it was Roscoe cathcing the underneath ball and sprinting to the endzone and not Josh Reed who made zero plays. The other difference was the underneath passes were to players who were moving not stationary targets. Even Stupar ws moving(all be it in white man slow motion).

I am hopeful this is just the beginning of a true offense under Gailey and not the junior high level we saw with DJ/AVP.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue with Trent isn't ability or physical tools. He can make all the throws, he's intelligent enough to win in this league as he's proven. The problem has been the dude is made of glass.

With the O-lines that Trent has played behind with the Bills and Stanford, that's like saying that Evel Knievel was made of glass because he broke a lot of bones riding motorcycles! Sure, he has been oft-injured, but he has been oft-CRUSHED by DTs, DEs, LBs, CBs, and safeties running at full speed like a bull through a bullfighter's cape. It's fair to say that he is frequently injured, but I don't think it's fair to say that he's been easily injured.

But your underlying point still holds, Tgregg -- it's a matter of him staying on the field for a full season.

Yet, his throwing motion just seems wrong to me. It looks at times as if he's simply pushing the ball rather than letting it rip.

I agree with this. For some reason the way he's constantly pushing the ball just bugs the begeesus out of me.

With the O-lines that Trent has played behind with the Bills and Stanford, that's like saying that Evel Knievel was made of glass because he broke a lot of bones riding motorcycles! Sure, he has been oft-injured, but he has been oft-CRUSHED by DTs, DEs, LBs, CBs, and safeties running at full speed like a bull through a bullfighter's cape. It's fair to say that he is frequently injured, but I don't think it's fair to say that he's been easily injured.

But your underlying point still holds, Tgregg -- it's a matter of him staying on the field for a full season.

Well, he's not quick or mobile to elude rushers, nor does he sense the oncoming or backside rush well, he stares down receivers (so he's not seeing rushers either) and he's stubborn as hell, so he stands in the pocket and gets murdered. There is a huge difference between being tough and being brittle/injury prone. I think Trent is really tough, and fearless. But he takes a beating as much because of his own choices and deficiencies as his linemen.

The issue with Trent isn't ability or physical tools. He can make all the throws, he's intelligent enough to win in this league as he's proven. The problem has been the dude is made of glass.

You can't be a franchise QB when you're not on the field for 16 games. That's the question that he still has yet to answer. Can he stay healthy.

We'll find out ...

That has been my main concern as well. He has looked very good the last two games. I hope it continues. He needs to show he can read a 3-4 D.

What I've seen so far is typical warm weather early season Trent. Including the big pick thrown in for good measure. He always starts fast. Then fades. If I see him playing good games after Halloween, I'll then think we're seeing a new man. Then if he plays well in a really cold or snowy/rainy game, then I'll say for sure he's a new man. If he stays healthy an doesn't miss any games, that'll be a new man too.

I hope for the best and hope he plays well this year. I just gotta see if over an extended period of time.

I'm going to reserve judgment on Mr. Edwards until the games really count. He has been a preseason wonder before, only to turn into a regular season bust. Sadly we have, arguably, the worst QB corp in the league.

So you don't like Sanchez or Brunnell?

This board continues to amaze me. The guy had ONE decent game and now "hes a different man" and you're "very confident with him as our starter." Why do you guys do this to yourselves? STOP GETTING YOUR HOPES UP. Reality: Trent is an average QB with the ability to be very subpar on any given Sunday. Our defense is going to struggle mightily as it is apparent we don't have the personnel for the 3-4. Our o tackles are no better than the previous two years. Wake up, you guys are acting like a bunch of children.

Not sure why you respond to optimism with hostility. While I understand your pessimism, I politely disagree. First there is the empirical evidence. Last year, the first string offense produced just 3 points in 4 preseason games with TE at the helm. This year the first string offense has been scoring and moving the ball down the field with some proficiency.

Then there is the coaching. Last season, AVP tried to perform the duties of Off Coordinator and QB Coach. He was clearly under-prepared and over-whelmed by the challenge. Gailey and his staff will give TE a far better game plan and have him far better prepared.

Finally there is the O Line. Your concerns are warranted. But the line should at least be better than last year. Bell, Wood and Levitre will all likely be better in their 2nd year as starters. And, at least for now, the O Line is healthy. (Cross my fingers).

Even a child can find good reason to be hopeful for an improved TE and Bills offense.

1) Good point on his release. It seems like he is employing at times an earlier release point, and not following through on his throws. I don't know if that is intentional or due to the fact that Cornell Green is allowing all defenders immediate and unfettered access to Edwards' face.

2) I will say that the play against the Bengals, where Edwards stepped up in the pocket and hit Parrish on a deep cross near the sidelines, was one of the best throws I've seen him make.

Good points. I think its good to see Parrish become part of this offence again.....or finally

I'm going to reserve judgment on Mr. Edwards until the games really count. He has been a preseason wonder before, only to turn into a regular season bust. Sadly we have, arguably, the worst QB corp in the league.

Jets,Browns,Chiefs,Broncos,Cards, are all just as questionable if not more so.

Than there's teams like tampa,carolina,miami,jacksonville,seattle,sanfran,philly. None of them really know what they have. Whether it's declining vets like jax,seattle. Guys who are well into their last chance ala Alex Smith in San Fran. Teams that are in that superbowl hunt, but could be hurt by disastrous qb situations ala Arizona, or the Jets. Guys who were given big contracts and need to show something for their relatively new regime ala Matt Cassel in Kc.

Teams who had a qb give a few good starts now need to put up or bring on the rook, ala Matt Moore/Jimmy Clausen in Carolina. Does anyone expect Orton to put up the #'s he did last year sans Brandon Marshall? Speaking of Marshall can Chad Henne step up his game in Miami with no excuses now that he has viable receiving weapons, and possibly the best run after the catch wr in the game? There are plenty of teams with qb issues of their own outside of Buffalo, who when the year shakes out may be in far worse situations.

Here's what I do not understand, it was apparent the team was going with TE, BB or Fitz. The fact that TE looked promising 3 years ago, had an awful year last year and now shows promise should make ALL Bills fans cautiously happy. I am not say everyone should like Trent and lets face it, he has a bad year, he's gone. If he has a good year and the team is enjoyable to watch don't we ALL win? It going to be one or the other so lets hope he has improved under Chan.

Not sure why you respond to optimism with hostility. While I understand your pessimism, I politely disagree. First there is the empirical evidence. Last year, the first string offense produced just 3 points in 4 preseason games with TE at the helm. This year the first string offense has been scoring and moving the ball down the field with some proficiency.

Then there is the coaching. Last season, AVP tried to perform the duties of Off Coordinator and QB Coach. He was clearly under-prepared and over-whelmed by the challenge. Gailey and his staff will give TE a far better game plan and have him far better prepared.

Finally there is the O Line. Your concerns are warranted. But the line should at least be better than last year. Bell, Wood and Levitre will all likely be better in their 2nd year as starters. And, at least for now, the O Line is healthy. (Cross my fingers).

Even a child can find good reason to be hopeful for an improved TE and Bills offense.

Doing your bit to return the board a better place. Great response.

the o-line was a shambles last year, that was the main reason he looked so bad, it has been good this year, so thats the reason he looks good, hopofully the game has slowed down for him now that he has seen it for a while,we shall see. Let's hope for the best, since we've had to deal with the rest for the last 10 years, either we have patience or we become patients. :D

Explain why Fitz was able to lead the team to a 5-4 record with the same o-line last year? Hmmm does make you wonder doesn't it.