Edwards Looks like A Different Man

tonyd19

Hey just some random thoughts after watching the first three pre-season games. It looks to me like Trent is an entirely different QB. He has a certain swagger about him, he is smiling and it looks like he actually enjoys playing again. I am very confident that he will have a good season. The only thing I can say that is negaitve about him is the last couple of games it looks like he tries to release his passes so quickly, that he is losing some velocity on routes. This might be bad when it's only starting defensive backs in the game, as they can recover quicker than 2nd or 3rd stringers and may lead to some picks. Other than that, I think he looks really strong. After watching Buffalo this pre season, I fully expect them to be very competitive this season. You can see the whole team just looks different, like they expect to win.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey just some random thoughts after watching the first three pre-season games. It looks to me like Trent is an entirely different QB. He has a certain swagger about him, he is smiling and it looks like he actually enjoys playing again. I am very confident that he will have a good season. The only thing I can say that is negaitve about him is the last couple of games it looks like he tries to release his passes so quickly, that he is losing some velocity on routes. This might be bad when it's only starting defensive backs in the game, as they can recover quicker than 2nd or 3rd stringers and may lead to some picks. Other than that, I think he looks really strong. After watching Buffalo this pre season, I fully expect them to be very competitive this season. You can see the whole team just looks different, like they expect to win.

1) Good point on his release. It seems like he is employing at times an earlier release point, and not following through on his throws. I don't know if that is intentional or due to the fact that Cornell Green is allowing all defenders immediate and unfettered access to Edwards' face.

2) I will say that the play against the Bengals, where Edwards stepped up in the pocket and hit Parrish on a deep cross near the sidelines, was one of the best throws I've seen him make.

Well he is the key to out team this year so I hope he does well. I hope he proves all his haters wrong but only time will tell( I am a hater him because he has not proved anything). Lets hope he got his confidence back and lead this team to a wildcard spot. I really hope the bill prove all their haters wrong it will make watching ESPN and NFL NETWORK so much more enjoyable when they are forced to say the bills are actually a good team.

I think a lot of the people who do not have confidence in Edwards are justified, but keep in mind, that this is the 2nd coach who has watched him everyday and has come to the conclusion he can do the job. Gailey believes it so much, he passed on other QB's in thee draft. That says a lot to me. and hey, if Edwars plays well, we'll be playoff bound. Let me say this. I would rather have edwards than Henne or Sanchez (at this pont in their careers. I think if Edwards was on either the Jets or the Fins last year, he would have been the starter.

Edwards has always had a stupidly quick release, he doesn't look any different to me on that front...

But... his pocket presence and confidence *do* look improved.

Yea, I noticed it most on the out routee to Parrish that was almost picked off in the first quarter. It was a complete pass, but he has to be careful with those kind of throws.

I think a lot of the people who do not have confidence in Edwards are justified, but keep in mind, that this is the 2nd coach who has watched him everyday and has come to the conclusion he can do the job. Gailey believes it so much, he passed on other QB's in thee draft. That says a lot to me. and hey, if Edwars plays well, we'll be playoff bound. Let me say this. I would rather have edwards than Henne or Sanchez (at this pont in their careers. I think if Edwards was on either the Jets or the Fins last year, he would have been the starter.

Yea, I noticed it most on the out routee to Parrish that was almost picked off in the first quarter. It was a complete pass, but he has to be careful with those kind of throws.

I'm referring to his throwing motion being compact and quick, as in it doesn't take him much time to go from wanting to throw the ball, to actually throwing the ball. I think there is a mixture of terminology here.... because a quick release wouldn't cause more interceptions, it'd theoretically cause fewer interceptions.

Edited by Dorkington

I'm referring to his throwing motion being compact and quick, as in it doesn't take him much time to go from wanting to throw the ball, to actually throwing the ball. I think there is a mixture of terminology here.... because a quick release wouldn't cause more interceptions, it'd theoretically cause fewer interceptions.

I think a quick release is a good thing, but it's kind of like a boxer, you can punch very fast without a lot of power, or slower with a tremendous amount of power. I think Trent tries to be a little to quick sometimes and loses velocity. If he does that in tight coverage the delay in velocity could allow the defender to be in a better position for an interception. That is all I meant.

Edited by tonyd19

I think a quick release is a good thing, but it's kind of like a boxer, you can punch very fast without a lot of power, or slower with a tremendous amount of power. I think Trent tries to be a little to quick sometimes and loses velocity. If he does that in tight coverage the delay in velocity could allow the defender to be in a better position for an interception. That is all I meant.

Gotchya. :)

The only thing that bothers me with Edwards is how fragile he's been since high school, that and the fact that the OL isn't what some would call a strength. But there's no doubt that he looks good so far, he looks like he knows exactly what he's doing. I think a lot of that can be contributed to the addition of Gailey, who is a QB guy.

Edited by Section444

a) he does look dramatically better. stats can lie but stats back it up and he has passed the eyeball test with flying colors esp last game

3) aside from last season trent always looked great in preseason so forgive me if i hold my breath cross my fingers and shove a four leaf clover up my butt anyway

pi) if theres one thing thats giving me hope its read progressions. hes made it through the routes to seconds thirds and fourths without immediately going checkdown

rho) hes also doing better at looking off receivers but not as much as id like. he still locks on too much and im worried that will get exploited once the season starts, but hes at least shortening up the amount of time he looks at one guy most of the time

so there are real signs the light is finally going on for him but ive seen this kind of thing before in him and others so we just have to wait for a few games to see if its an illusion or not

This board continues to amaze me. The guy had ONE decent game and now "hes a different man" and you're "very confident with him as our starter." Why do you guys do this to yourselves? STOP GETTING YOUR HOPES UP. Reality: Trent is an average QB with the ability to be very subpar on any given Sunday. Our defense is going to struggle mightily as it is apparent we don't have the personnel for the 3-4. Our o tackles are no better than the previous two years. Wake up, you guys are acting like a bunch of children.

What I am seeing is that Trent Edwards we saw in his first preseason with the Bills. I remember commenting to a friend who is A JETS' fan that this rookie quarterback seems confident and in control. We then saw that Trent Edwards until the Arizona game. The next Trent Edwards we saw was tentative and worse ... but we have no way of knowing whether it was all in his head or partly a reaction to the coaching.

Right now he looks and sounds like a winner and every quarterback has his own unique faults. Will be interesting to watch as the season opens up.

I've noticed his swagger and poise quotients have both increased by factors of 3.5.

Seriously, he has looked better. I just hope, as another thread noted, that his awareness and pocket presence don't disappear the moment he's thrown in against the 3-4 again (which happens 10 times this season).

Not sure about all of the other stuff, like locking on to his reciver, differences in his release, etcc..

But one thing about Trent that has stood out to me so far, and again, it is only preseason, but I think it is

a significant thing, is how he reacts after a difficult series, or a poor pass attempt, he is much better

at just fogetting about it. The first series in the Colts game is one example, where, although aided by a iffy

penalty on the KR, the Bills started with terrible FP, and Edwards had a horrible series, not all of his fault.

The next series, he comes out and directs the team on a fairly lenghty drive, making several clutch throws, and gets

them in to the end zone. The first series of the Bengals game was similiar, ending with a sack, but he comes back out

the next series, and directs a nice drive again making some clutch throws, scrambling and improvising on several plays

and gets them in to the end zone. This is the biggest improvement from last year to this year, and if he keeps that up,

we should have a decent year and he will thrive. He just has to trust in his recievers, and in his own ability, and he

will be fine, he is very accurate with the football.

What I am seeing is that Trent Edwards we saw in his first preseason with the Bills. I remember commenting to a friend who is A JETS' fan that this rookie quarterback seems confident and in control. We then saw that Trent Edwards until the Arizona game. The next Trent Edwards we saw was tentative and worse ... but we have no way of knowing whether it was all in his head or partly a reaction to the coaching.

i'm so sick and tired of this excuse. if he was so 'tentative and worse', then how do you explain him having his career-best game against san diego the next time he played after the concussion?

It's amazing what a Q.B. can do when he has a bit of time and an O line !! Isn't it ??