Farewell to all, you guys are great fans.... I mean that!

DIE HARD 1967

Die Hard,

Sorry to see you go. And thanks for the blood, sweat and tears you gave to the Bills.

Although there are good people, players and fans elsewhere, I have no trouble talking trash about Miami, NY, or NE. Football is war, after all. But I don't understand us attacking our own Bills players or fans. The only justification for attacking a Bills player is that he quit in his heart but still suits up.

We may wish TE, Maybin, Whitner or whoever were more talented, but they aren't. I wish I was as talented as them and could contribute to the Bills organization in whatever humble capacity. But since I'm not good enough and too old to play, I'll root for anyone who wears a Buffalo on his helmet.

I'm a Bills fan through and through and wish well for anyone who has ever fought on the gridiron for a Bills victory.

So good luck to you, Die Hard. Hope you change your mind.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK guys, it's about time you knew. I am in fact Pete Metzelaars. Fire away, ask me anything, I won't shy away.

Pete, would you consider coming out of retirement? I know you're busy as an assistant coach with the Colts and chillin with Polian is probably pretty cool. But we are in need of a great blocking TE and you fit the bill. Make some great blocks for Spiller and give us some TD catches now and then and we'll be happy. It's not too much to ask. Think about the perks! Just consider it Pete :)

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Pilsner

This is not a knock against the board, actually its the opposite.....wonderful place to hang out.

I am going to tell you a little secret but this will change your attitude about your threads and comments!

Are you ready?

I played for the Buffalo Bills 1967-1972. I read your comments and I now understand the fans better. Just a little warning here!

The players do frequent the message boards, and they do care what you write and yes I personally know 1 former player that posts here!!! Yep, it is true! If you investigate, you could easily figure it out! I did ! I PMed the guy and we now chat from time to time!

So why leave the board now? No player or former player is interested reading garbage about why a player should be waived or why he is overpaid.These are proud, proud former star college football players. The career is short, the physical burden is high and the players are just people. We all have emotions and nobody enjoys bashing! The Buffalo fans are the best but by far the most frustrated.

I will stop by from time to time and read some topics but my responding days are over.

Oh, and my prediction for 2010?

Some of you place to much importance in high skill players. The "team" will determine the final outcome.

Buffalo is better then most of you think and a playoff birth is not impossible!

I thought about placing my real name here, but most likely someone will say I sucked or I was just a good solid player.

Either way I will not be happy because football was my LIFE and still is!

So I ask the question and this is a good one.....

IF YOU WERE A FORMER PLAYER,WOULD YOU PLACE YOUR REAL NAME ON THIS BOARD? If you think about it very carefully, the answer is no way! Some will call this thread a hoax but that should be expected from fans in today's world! Everything is a hoax and everybody is a fraud, not always true guys! Some people are honest and until proven otherwise, learn to trust people!

Good luck on your threads, the season, and GO BILLS!!!

-DIEHARD 1967

Good Bye Die Hard. I enjoyed your posts.

I agree that the team is more important than anything else, I just wish we had a little more to work with at OT an LB.

I think I know who you are, and if so, you were a good solid player. Nothing wrong wth that!

Take care. Go Bills!!!!

I'm sorry, now I just wanna know who the guy is.

I know who the guy is but players generally do not join message boards.

If you read the responses above you will find a wide range of fans.

Some are happy, some sad, some down right rude.

As a player you can't always say what is on your mind because you still represent the Buffalo Bills and the NFL.

Die Hard, enjoyed your posts. Gotta say, though, the fact that you were a player is immaterial on a message board based on anonymity. If you are entering a fan site you have to expect that there will be discussion of everything Bills, including who sucks, who doesn't, who's overpaid, who's underpaid, etc. The fact is this message board, the local watering hole, the water cooler at work... it's all the court of public opinion. This board EXISTS to serve it, otherwise tell me what the point of it is. You don't have to agree with it, and if it offends you you needn't partake in it. To come here expecting that the topics you mentioned wouldn't be discussed is naive... it's what fans do. That's not to say that I agree with every cursing, head bashing, bad mouthing post, but others are entitled to their opinions just as I'm entitled to mine. Freedom of speech can be a B word sometimes.

I'd also like to say that while some people are probably a little louder and a little more brash when hidden behind their keyboards, the world as a whole is not as nice a place as it used to be, it's not just this message board. Is it life imitating art, or art imitating life. The sense of entitlement on the planet is getting offensive. The fact that we live in a "me-first" and an "instant gratification" society is getting offensive. With each passing day it seems there is less civility in the world. The opinions on this board are but a microcosm of the world we live in. We can either work to change it or we can get used to it.

Die Hard, enjoyed your posts. Gotta say, though, the fact that you were a player is immaterial on a message board based on anonymity. If you are entering a fan site you have to expect that there will be discussion of everything Bills, including who sucks, who doesn't, who's overpaid, who's underpaid, etc. The fact is this message board, the local watering hole, the water cooler at work... it's all the court of public opinion. This board EXISTS to serve it, otherwise tell me what the point of it is. You don't have to agree with it, and if it offends you you needn't partake in it. To come here expecting that the topics you mentioned wouldn't be discussed is naive... it's what fans do. That's not to say that I agree with every cursing, head bashing, bad mouthing post, but others are entitled to their opinions just as I'm entitled to mine. Freedom of speech can be a B word sometimes.

I'd also like to say that while some people are probably a little louder and a little more brash when hidden behind their keyboards, the world as a whole is not as nice a place as it used to be, it's not just this message board. Is it life imitating art, or art imitating life. The sense of entitlement on the planet is getting offensive. The fact that we live in a "me-first" and an "instant gratification" society is getting offensive. With each passing day it seems there is less civility in the world. The opinions on this board are but a microcosm of the world we live in. We can either work to change it or we can get used to it.

Man, I got to add you to my friendship list.......so true

Pete, would you consider coming out of retirement? I know you're busy as an assistant coach with the Colts and chillin with Polian is probably pretty cool. But we are in need of a great blocking TE and you fit the bill. Make some great blocks for Spiller and give us some TD catches now and then and we'll be happy. It's not too much to ask. Think about the perks! Just consider it Pete :)

Go Bills!!!

Beer & Boobs, great combination, keep up the goood work.

This is not a knock against the board, actually its the opposite.....wonderful place to hang out.

I am going to tell you a little secret but this will change your attitude about your threads and comments!

Are you ready?

I played for the Buffalo Bills 1967-1972. I read your comments and I now understand the fans better. Just a little warning here!

The players do frequent the message boards, and they do care what you write and yes I personally know 1 former player that posts here!!! Yep, it is true! If you investigate, you could easily figure it out! I did ! I PMed the guy and we now chat from time to time!

So why leave the board now? No player or former player is interested reading garbage about why a player should be waived or why he is overpaid.These are proud, proud former star college football players. The career is short, the physical burden is high and the players are just people. We all have emotions and nobody enjoys bashing! The Buffalo fans are the best but by far the most frustrated.

I will stop by from time to time and read some topics but my responding days are over.

Oh, and my prediction for 2010?

Some of you place to much importance in high skill players. The "team" will determine the final outcome.

Buffalo is better then most of you think and a playoff birth is not impossible!

I thought about placing my real name here, but most likely someone will say I sucked or I was just a good solid player.

Either way I will not be happy because football was my LIFE and still is!

So I ask the question and this is a good one.....

IF YOU WERE A FORMER PLAYER,WOULD YOU PLACE YOUR REAL NAME ON THIS BOARD? If you think about it very carefully, the answer is no way! Some will call this thread a hoax but that should be expected from fans in today's world! Everything is a hoax and everybody is a fraud, not always true guys! Some people are honest and until proven otherwise, learn to trust people!

Good luck on your threads, the season, and GO BILLS!!!

-DIEHARD 1967

I know you are still here, I saw your name in the sign in area.

Also, I can smell cigars, peanuts, and the smell of the old Rockpile so you must be around somewhere.

Well said.

Fantastic.

By far the best post I have ever seen on this board.

Die Hard, I am sorry to see you go, I have always enjoyed your posts and your insight will be missed. Your posts always seemed to have temperance and a level headed tone that was far and away more calming than the general hysterics here.

We are all fans, some have just watched the game, others have been able to play up until college or in your case on the pro level. There are many different viewpoints yet the most valuable seem to come from those with age and experience. I hope you still have fun reading what the fans have to say, I don't disagree with your decision to supress your name since you are correct that someone would most likely make a comment, but it seems that many here may not even have been born during the period you were with the Bills. A few old timers remember the early years and that is what made the early 90s so special for us. Unfortunately, in my opinion, most of the noise comes from those who started following the Bills during the heyday and never suffered through the tough years.

I truly hope your prognostications ring true.

Best of luck

It certainly made me smile when Die Hard said he played from 67-72, as i started following our beloved Bills during the 1967 season from afar in a small town in eastern NY (Granville). Fond memories of static on radios and reading the newspaper for any Bills news. Thanks for the years you gave us Die Hard from an old fan. :beer:

GO BILLS!