according to Peter King, Fitz is #2 in the QB pecking order

Buffalo: The Bills look to be Trent Edwards' team, as if there was any doubt about that.

Talked to coach Chan Gailey on our Sirius NFL Radio show this morning, and he told Bob Papa and me he made the quarterback pecking order Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm, in that order, headed into training camp. "What has happened in the preseason is that nobody has faltered,'' Gailey said. "Unless something changes drastically, I don't see anything changing entering the regular season.'' Edwards has thrown only one interception and completed 65 percent of his balls in the first three preseason games, and he's been very good on the intermediate throws that Gailey relies on so heavily.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/31/preseason/index.html

A bit unexpected - I was hoping Brohm would make a stronger push for the job but Edwards certainly did enough to fight him off. I guess we're keeping 3 and Levi gets PS'ed.

Agreed - sad that there was not more competition though. I hate feeling like Edwards sort of "won" because nobody challenged him.

Buffalo: The Bills look to be Trent Edwards' team, as if there was any doubt about that.

Talked to coach Chan Gailey on our Sirius NFL Radio show this morning, and he told Bob Papa and me he made the quarterback pecking order Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm, in that order, headed into training camp. "What has happened in the preseason is that nobody has faltered,'' Gailey said. "Unless something changes drastically, I don't see anything changing entering the regular season.'' Edwards has thrown only one interception and completed 65 percent of his balls in the first three preseason games, and he's been very good on the intermediate throws that Gailey relies on so heavily.

http://sportsillustr...ason/index.html

Gailey said that exact same thing to the Bills reporters after the game, but he was referring to the fact that Trent was #1 and will continue to be #1, not that Fitz was #2 and will continue to be #2, and that Brohm is #3 and continue to be #3. Not to mention that if nothing changes entering the season, Levi will have been and remain #4 and waived/put on practice squad.

Agreed - sad that there was not more competition though. I hate feeling like Edwards sort of "won" because nobody challenged him.

Could be, but how much competition is enough? You can't just hold an extended four-month training camp to figure it all out. You need to develop a starter that is ready in week 1, so at a certain point you need to make a decision and then make it work.

Based on how Edwards has looked, I think Chan has managed this process as well as could be expected.

I'm most surprised that Fitz is going to stay at #2, let alone on the team at all. Just waiting for all the Leinart threads to begin. Heaven help us. We've already had one Rob Johnson!!

Go Bills!

Another way to look at it is that TE rose above the crowd and won it. He threw several TD passes (long and short) and put up drives against better teams (Colts, Bengals). He had a crappy film record for Gailey to see coming in, so he had to differentiate himself in action in the OTAs, Training Camp (much more rigorous one than before) and games.

While he worked with the first team, none of the QBs were getting routinely destroyed because of the OL. They all had opportunity to make things happen. Plus the 2nd half skill positions on the team; Bell/Simpson running and Nelson/Jackson/Jones are among the leaders receivers in preseason. While I didn't see every game, I didn't hear a bunch of angst about lots of drops.

They all had a chance to show what they have and Edwards won...

Edited by cage

Why do you say there was not more competition? Do you think Gailey just handed the job to Edwards. He has no ties to a single player on this team and htis is his last chance at a HC job. He is going to play who he thinks has the best chance to win. It was about the only thing I respected Perry Fewell for doing. Fitz was obviously his guy and he stuck with it.

A bit unexpected - I was hoping Brohm would make a stronger push for the job but Edwards certainly did enough to fight him off. I guess we're keeping 3 and Levi gets PS'ed.

Who said that? Brohm wil be gone by the final cuts. Levi to the PS. They will start the season with 2 QB's.

Edwards certainly rose up an earned the job, just surprised (disappointed?) the others didn't really come close to challenging him. @Gugny...Oh the Leinart threads have already started my friend. God help us all.

You're right, I was hoping to see more from Brohm,... but if he's 3rd, then he's 3rd. We didn't waste any draft picks or big signing on him. We grabbed him off a practice squad and that's what he may be...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/31/preseason/index.html

I hope Brohm ends up #2 only to make Peter King look more like the fatuous idiot he is.

If the Bills were looking to make a deep run, then yeah maybe you keep the more experienced Fitzpatrick as a back-up even though he's already reached his very limited ceiling. But they're going nowhere this year and know it, so the smart move is to keep Brohm's far superior toolbox and see if he blossoms with another year of pro experience and increased maturity.

While a championship contender might value Fitzpatrick over Brohm, a rebuilding team should place more value on Brohm's superior upside.

If the Bills were looking to make a deep run, then yeah maybe you keep the more experienced Fitzpatrick as a back-up even though he's already reached his very limited ceiling. But they're going nowhere this year and know it, so the smart move is to keep Brohm's far superior toolbox and see if he blossoms with another year of pro experience and increased maturity.

While a championship contender might value Fitzpatrick over Brohm, a rebuilding team should place more value on Brohm's superior upside.

And yet the bills will just cut Fitzpatrick instead of trying to capitalize on whatever value he may have.

Trust me, i take whatever King says with a grain of salt; the guy mails it in IMO. And how do some of you figure there was no competition? What i and others were getting at was that the others in camp (brohm especially) didn't take advantage of the competition and press Edwards for the job. Throughout the camp and preseason games Edwards was the best guy. I was just hoping for a closer "competition."