Clayton ranks Edwards 31 of 33

Coach55

There's a lot to this list I don't like. Jason Campbell and Matt Cassell ahead of Byron Leftwich? Don't think so. Cassell should be last on this list. Edwards may not be too much higher than Clayton has him slated, but I don't see him being way down at 31. For the time being at least, he should certainly be ahead of Kevin Kolb who still hasn't played enough to give a thumbs up or down.

That's the first thing that catches your eye??

Leftwich is ranked way too high. At this point, he's well below Edwards.

Delhomme is last, where he belongs.

As fans we get all rankled when someone calls us bad. Until he proves himself this year, this is where Trent should be ranked. Same with the Bills- until we pile up some regular season wins and earn respect, we are going to be ranked low and we need to accept it. The preseason has been pretty good so far, so I have some confidence that we will be an improved team and Trent will have a decent season, at the least.

I think Edwards is more toward the mid 20 range going into the year with the possibility of moving into the 15 range with a good year. 31 is just ridiculous.

We are wanting to look forward - he has looked back. Statistically Edwards has never lit it up. He has looked downright awful against 3-4 defenses. I know the coaching, line and offensive system all contributed but remember this is a guy who was benched last year.

I simply hope that going forward he takes a big step forward.

Im pretty sure i remember clayton singing edwards praises when he won 5 out of 6 games 2 years ago. That being said his article is more or less a what have you done lately. Which is nothing really. With wins come respect, if we start winning and Trent plays well i'm sure writers opinions will change.

if anyone is grading by 'how they did in preseason this year', then jake delhomme should be waaaayyy higher than trent edwards. delhomme has been pretty damn good this preseason. but anyone with half a brain knows that doing good in preseason does not always translate into regular season success.

I have zero confidence in Trent Edwards as a QB. He has looked pretty good in these preseason games but he has proven time and again that he does not translate it over to the regular season well. He's great in practice... Still I think ESPN was a little rough on him, He should probably be ranked ahead of at least the unproven rookies. Put him in the late 20's and I'd give him at least a 5% chance of becoming an elite QB, 0% is a bit harsh for a guy that is still young. He's unimpressive and ESPN is convinced this line sucks (I think they are wrong, it is mediocre) so it's not surprising that they have him ranked so low. The Bills are looking at another middle of the pack season. Here's hoping they draft a great QB next year.

Dude, Byron Leftwich is a horrible QB!

Leftwich isn't great, but he certainly isn't horrible. Cassell is horrible. I bet he wouldn't even be in the league anymore if it weren't for the recognition he got the season Brady went down and he only did well that year because he was handed a world of talent.

Crazy to think coming out of college that Edwards would have a better NFL career than Leinart. It's why I never got the Edwards' hate. He was a 3rd round pick. Imagine if he went #11 like Leinart.

Interesting thought, Bisc. Many more fans would probably be carrying pitchforks if Edwards had been drafted that high given the same level of production. It's an ugly mess as it is.

I guess you can say that everyone knows that both Roethlisberger and Leftwich will start games at some point over the course of the season. The same can't be said for Leinart/Anderson. When putting the list together, that situation wasn't completely clear, so he combines them. But in the big picture, the vast majority of the readers are going to stop reading at the halfway mark, if they even make it that far. No one cares about the bottom feeders, which Arizona clearly has with either QB. Roethlisberger, being a big name that many people are looking for is going to get his own mentioning in the portion of the article that people will actually read. Drop him down half with into a combo with Leftwich and all of a sudden people never even see his name.

I get what you are saying, but I think you were probably more on the mark in your first post. The 2 Steeler QBs are nowhere near close, and Clayton just put them both in as individuals rather than muddy his list. I think fans are going to scan the list to see where their QB is ranked and either be happy, indifferent, or annoyed and defensive.

I still don't like ranking a "?" in a list against individuals, and certainly not ahead of other individuals. Suffices to say, I wouldn't have written the article that way.

Thanks for the discussion.

John Clayton is a jock-sniffing panty-waste who has never competed for anything in his entire life! If he never called out Sean Salisbury he would be back scraping gum off the floor at the Regal! Why his opinion matters I have no idea. Most likely because the Church of ESPN says his opinion should matter. He is joke. :wallbash:

Tell us how you really feel,please! :thumbsup: Great post

And now that Leinart is being cut, he stands ahead of no one that starts... ;)

You don't really put that much stock in Clayton do you?

Because as of right now, I'd put Edwards a haead of a lot of those QBs. If you switched Sanchez and Edwards, I think the Jets would be in much better shape.

There is absolutely nothing any paid prognosticator can do other than base his predictions on past performance. On that basis, Edwards is not a good QB.

The dice the Bills are rolling is that Edwards has matured and has received enough coaching over the past 5 months to begin realizing his potential. How can any of the ESPN or NFLN talking heads count on that when making their rankings? They can't.

Don't get your panties in a wad over this. It's Edwards' ball now; he will determine how those rankings change.

You had to know the second that this was posted that the slew of "Clayton stinks, he's an idiot, how does he have a job" posts would come out.

So I guess he can be added to the list of "terrible professionals that write about sports or talk on the radio or talk on the tv about sports" because he made an honest, critical and reasonable assessment of the 32 starting quarterbacks in the league.

Where are we at now?

Tim Graham

John Clayton

Jerry Sullivan

Bob Dicesare

ALL NFL Network employees

ALL ESPN employees

Colin Cowherd

Jim Rome

Mike Schopp

Chris "Bulldog" Parker

Howard Simon

Jeremy White

Paul Hamilton

Brad Riter

Mark Gaughan

Allen Wilson

Peter King

Dr. Z from SI

Gregg Easterbrook

Rick Reilly

Jim Kelley

John Vogl

John Wawrow

Did I miss anyone?

i'd vote for that wawrow twice. wotta blowhard. :thumbsup:

j(finallymakingabadlist)w

Guest dog14787

Geeesh, Your at the bottom of the list jw, you really need to pick it up some and start delivering some cold hard facts, you know, the kind that would crush everyone's hopes and dreams, sending folks into drunken binges/stupors or chain smoking blunts of kind bud like there's no tomorrow.

So give us reality Wawrow, we're really counting on you :flirt:

Edited by dog14787

JW,

Who isn't on the list? Anyone not on the list should feel insulted. Even Dr. Z, who has been incapacitated with a serious stroke for more than a year, is on that extended list.

A week or so ago two sports radio/TV personalities on separate occasions and different locations both made the statement that whenever they are critical of Buffalo they get a deluge of responses. It's not unfair to say that the Buffalo fans are insanely hyper-sensitive. Don't they understand that a generation of losing and ineptitude is worth a morsel of ridicule?

JW, if you want to be anointed as a brilliant analyst by the Buffalo fans write some articles on how the Bills are going to find their way into this year's SB game. Then cover your ears to avoid hearing the laughter and snickering coming from your colleagues. Being laughed off the stage is certainly not a way to enhance one's career.

I guess Bill Simmons thinks higher of Edwards than Clayton does:

30. Trent Edwards, Bills

It's always fun when a QB sucks, but especially when fans are in deep denial and say things like, "If he had time to throw, I think he'd have a chance to be good" (like Bills fans do with Edwards). In general, deep denial is fun. My wife watches "Bachelor Pad" every Monday as I read books and magazines and pop my head up anytime someone's in a bikini. For this week's immunity game, they had everyone answer mean questions about everyone else in the house, one of which was, "Which one of the girls is destined to be a bridesmaid but never a bride?" Everyone picked the show's tramp, Natalie, who did everything but roofie the other guys in the house during the first few episodes. Amazingly, Natalie was blindsided by this and ended up breaking down in the bathroom after the game. My wife (who never tweets except when this stupid show is on) tweeted, "Why do women who act like sluts act shocked and hurt when someone points out that they probably won't get married?" As if we don't know the answer. Come on. Deep denial. It's a dangerous drug.

Guest dog14787

damn, you're right. me and my attempts to remain objective. ok, here's a start: i can't see the Bills making the Super Bowl this year.

jw

doggonit , I hate when that happens!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

You don't really put that much stock in Clayton do you?

Because as of right now, I'd put Edwards a haead of a lot of those QBs. If you switched Sanchez and Edwards, I think the Jets would be in much better shape.

No, Bisc. The point was that Leinart didn't even make his team's roster. Ranking him higher than anyone else was a joke.