Jumping The Gun

i know it is way too early to even speculate about how the season plays out, but after 2 pre-season wins, i am kind of pumped. (of course anything positive will do that). i am just wondering what all the "experts" , all the "talking heads", ESPN, would do if the bills are very good while the jets sh-t the bed, dallas does not do much, favre sucks, all the usual media favorites just do not do it, at least early. it would be exhilerating to watch all of them squirm.

i know it is way too early to even speculate about how the season plays out, but after 2 pre-season wins, i am kind of pumped. (of course anything positive will do that). i am just wondering what all the "experts" , all the "talking heads", ESPN, would do if the bills are very good while the jets sh-t the bed, dallas does not do much, favre sucks, all the usual media favorites just do not do it, at least early. it would be exhilerating to watch all of them squirm.

Being a Colt fan as well, (live in Indy) preseason does not mean squat around here. Indy sucks in the pre-season but we all know how they do when it really matters.

If the Bills have a great season then the media will jump on the bandwagon and that is fine with me.

They will talk about how much respect they have for Chan Gailey, how Edwards has developed, about what a great pick Spiller is, etc.

Everyone loves a winner, now lets win!

I recorded, and watched both the Jets and Dolphins games. Both Sanchez and Henne looked less than average. I have no idea what the sports media sees in these teams. On the NFL Network, last night, Marshall Faulk said that the Jets will win alot of games, they have a strong D and weak O, but "they won't out score alot of teams".

What? How do you win and not out score the other team?

I must admit being fired up by CJ's performance in particular, but doing my share of handwringing about defense & specials just the same (how many opposing team drives will start beyond the 40 yd line?). There are always a few overhyped teams that flame out... could be the Jets to assume that role this year. Must... temper... enthusiasm.... Teams are still tinkering with crap in the preseason, looking at bubble players, and not tipping their hands too much.

It's just pre-season but compare the starters this year to the starters last year:

2010 starters after 3 games:

6 TD's

16 pts avg.

22-37/304 yds/2 TDs/1 INT

133 yds rushing/2 TDs

2009 starters after 5 games:

0 TD's

0.6 pts avg.!! (not a typo!)

35-55/262 yds/0 TDs/3 INT

97 yds rushing/0 TDs

We have already blown away our 5-game 2009 performance in 3 games! Heck, we blew it away in 1 quarter!!!

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If the Bills have a great season then the media will jump on the bandwagon and that is fine with me.

They will talk about how much respect they have for Chan Gailey, how Edwards has developed, about what a great pick Spiller is, etc.

Everyone loves a winner, now lets win!

yep, that is exactly what i am hoping for!, it would be a positive step , but we have a long "recovery" after all the suffering we have endured. i do not know if i speak for anybody else on here, but it is all the more agonizing to not only lose the entire decade, but to be ridiculed , labeled "irrelevant" etc , by the media. just hoping beyond hope, that it finally turns our way.

Edited by dwight in philly

On the NFL Network, last night, Marshall Faulk said that the Jets will win alot of games, they have a strong D and weak O, but "they won't out score alot of teams".

:lol:

That pretty well sums up, not only Faulk's idiocy, but the flawed logic of many of the experts.

I don't see how the offense couldn't be better. There is a coach running the team with actual experience in building offenses. We were firing our offensive coordinator and our left tackle at this time last year. Which coach was there to lead Trent last year?

I recorded, and watched both the Jets and Dolphins games. Both Sanchez and Henne looked less than average. I have no idea what the sports media sees in these teams. On the NFL Network, last night, Marshall Faulk said that the Jets will win alot of games, they have a strong D and weak O, but "they won't out score alot of teams".

Your problem was paying attention to anything after that...

Marshall Faulk. Fantastic all-purpose back. And an absolute idiot (and not because of anything he says about Buffalo).

Being a Colt fan as well, (live in Indy) preseason does not mean squat around here. Indy sucks in the pre-season but we all know how they do when it really matters.

It was the same in Buffalo during their SB years. Preseason is what it is, but there is one absolute, the Colts are a second tier team without Manning. If he ever goes down, they're in BIG trouble.

In my 23 years of watching the NFL , I've come to accept one thing. Expect the unexpected. Each season there is a team that comes from out of nowhere to shock the league and projected contenders become basement dwellers.

I cannot look past 9/12/2010.

I have no expectations anymore, after having expectations dashed every year since 1967.

That said, I will be there at the Ralph for the opener, and I will watch and cheer for the Bills every week all season long.

I am bringing some Dolphin fabric to start the grill fire. :w00t:

Right now I only hope they start the season 1-0.

I think every true Bills' fan is loving the points being put up this preseason by the team ... it is so refreshing after the Jauron era's philosophy about not trying to score a lot but ... we are still in the preseason. Things are looking much better (And, last year if I recall we were not in the bottom 5 even with no offense) but what matters is what happens when the games count.

I think we will be competitive until the end of every game this year ... none of this 4th quarter collapse stuff that cost us games last year. Spiller is for real but so are Jackson and I think THE BEAST is back so we may have the best running back group in the league. If Gailey is creative with Parrish and Evans plus if he uses whatever tight end we have then there will be points up on the board.

So ... I am not jumping the gun to playoff dreams but I am excited about this season more than I have been in years!