Levi Brown to the active roster?

Have you SEEN the level of QB play in the league? It's absolutely a concern to leave Levi exposed on the PS if they believe he has future potential.

I also think it's probably pretty certain, historically speaking, that if your team has to get to the #3 QB for any extended period of time during a regular season you're screwed, regardless.

What are you talking about? How is it a concern to let a seventh rounder who's gone 5-for-12 in three games for negligible yardage get put on the practice squad? Have you SEEN him play? How is he better than any other project in this league? And are you telling me that if Fitz and Trent went down we'd be just as well off with Brown under center as we would with Brohm? How does that help anybody?

I know they want to "keep" three but with the issues the defense has at LB, lackluster special teams play this pre-season, and the battles at WR, I think they release Fitz and Brown and try to get Brown on the PS. That will give them three but not on the active roster.

Considering they haven't even named a starter yet, and the likely starter is a concussion waiting to happen, I don't see this being the case. At this point I'd be quite surprised if they don't carry Trent, Fitz, and Brohm in that order. None of them have done anything to move them from their current spots. Brown gets PS'ed almost certainly.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what you guys have seen, has Brown showed any reason other folks would have any interest in him?

Does anyone in the league even care what the Buffalo Bills do besides us?

We will keep TE, Fitz and Brohm on the roster in my opinion and Brown is going on the practice squad.

So the thing to do would be release a QB that is already showing potential in Brian Brohm? :blink:

I like Brown a lot, but it is so completely what dog said above.

Remember, they can't just sign him the have to cut somebody and put him on the active roster. At this stage for a guy like Brown, that is asking a lot. Teams just might as well draft a guy in the 7th round next year and not worry about it this year.

What are you talking about? How is it a concern to let a seventh rounder who's gone 5-for-12 in three games for negligible yardage get put on the practice squad? Have you SEEN him play? How is he better than any other project in this league? And are you telling me that if Fitz and Trent went down we'd be just as well off with Brown under center as we would with Brohm? How does that help anybody?

You appear to have some reading comprehension issues. Maybe I can simplify for you:

1 -- The overall level of QB play in the NFL ain't that great (therefore teams are looking for guys to develop).

2 -- IF (I repeat, IF) Gailey/Nix like Brown's potential, they are not likely to expose him on the PS given point #1 above.

3 -- When have you seen a team succeed when forced to rely on their 3rd QB for any extended period of time during the regular season? It's a clipboard holding, learning position.

Thanks for your time.

"3rd option" = "Brown". So dirty!

Anyway, all 32 teams had the opportunity to take a flyer with a last round pick on Brown. Why would one of them be clamoring to pick him up off waivers now? What have they seen that they didn't see in April? If a guy like Brohm could clear waivers (certainly a better college QB than Brown), why wouldn't Levi?

I wouldn't have him take another snap.

Not that anyone here listens, but in case there is someone.

What you "see" when you "see" Brown "struggle" (enough quotes for you yet) in preseason games, is a guy who has about ONE TENTH the practice reps of the other 3.

They will be keeping Brown or not based on what the coaches see of him in camps and practices, not based on a few preseason plays.

Put another way, we have had a three way QB competition going on, which has limited the reps for Trent, Fitz, and Brohm in practice (because they have to be divided up more among the three). Levi comes last in that parade and gets far fewer than anyone. All of you know this.

But if it entered your thinking at all about what you think you see in a the preseason games, and what Brown has "shown you", none of you mentioned it.

If they like Levi so much, why aren't they giving him more practice reps and game time?

I really don't think he will be on the roster. He will be on the PS

I think we haven't seen much of Levi because we need to be able to put him on the PS. We didn't want anyone else to get a look at him either. It is probably by design that he has not seen the field very much. IMO

Guys listen up! Around the NFL the Bills are known to have one of the worst QB situations. You couldn't give one away. If they aren't good enough to make this roster, what makes you think anybody else would want them? How often is our practice squad plundered? We have the worst talent pool in the league. I think our practice squad players are safe.

I don't think we'd have to worry about losing Brown by putting him on the PS. As someone else has mentioned the team picking him up would have to put him on the active roster. I doubt any team (other than us) would want to put him on the roster to groom him and they absolutely wouldn't pick him up to start.

Do we have the option of putting Brohm on the PS? I know we had to put him on the active roster when we signed him away from GB. We did that last year. So does that satisfy the requirement allowing us to now PS him? I'm not suggesting that we do this but just curious if its an option.

I think we haven't seen much of Levi because we need to be able to put him on the PS. We didn't want anyone else to get a look at him either. It is probably by design that he has not seen the field very much. IMO

So they think so highly of him that they don't even want to give him practice reps? Are they afraid that Belichick might be secretly taping their closed practices? Seriously? Brown was a 7th rd draft pick for a reason. He has some potential, but he is years away from being ready to play. He will be cut and placed on the practice squad. No team in the NFL is going to "steal" him and keep him on the active roster.

Have you SEEN the level of QB play in the league? It's absolutely a concern to leave Levi exposed on the PS if they believe he has future potential.

I also think it's probably pretty certain, historically speaking, that if your team has to get to the #3 QB for any extended period of time during a regular season you're screwed, regardless.

unless you are Sna Fran in the early 90's w/ Steve Bono as your #3, yes

Guys listen up! Around the NFL the Bills are known to have one of the worst QB situations. You couldn't give one away.

You logic in this is a big flawed here, I think. The reason the Bills QB situation is as bad as it is, is due to them not having a quality bona fide starter. It is certainly possible other teams with a starter may like one of their QBs as a backup.

I seriously doubt if Gailey and Nix know exactly what they're going to do yet. They probably are leaning one way or another but will wait until they see what Brohm can do on Thursday. They have been upfront for the most part all along. Fitz got his extra play last week, Brohm will likely get it this week. They both have shown something but neither has been great. If Brohm lights it up OR he sucks, that could go a long way toward their ultimate decision. If he's decent but not great, they have a tough choice, and even if they go one way or another, it's highly likely that the decision was a 55-45 or 51-49 kind of choice.

The fact that Brohm knew his real shot was in the Indy game and he played quite decently. And now again knows this Thursday he is likely playing for his job and maybe even his career -- if he plays well under that pressure Gailey and Nix might just LOVE that and leapfrog him, despite what Fitz has shown.

Maybe if Brohm shows well, they don't even put Levi in the game to lessen the chance he looks good and other teams see it. There are all kinds of possibilities and I believe Gailey when he says we are still evaluating. I don't think Fitz has it locked up at all.

Even though as fans we have our opinions on all three back-up QBs as well as what the team should and may do, it really is a difficult decision and no clear cut obvious answer.