What amazes me the most about Spiller.

DarthICE

My buddy and I both said Thurman.. On the scrren play last night...

He is way faster than Thurman. If he can learn to set up his blocks and pick up blitzes like Thurman, this kid will be the whole package...

But thankfully, most of the time he will. ;)

:thumbsup:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is way faster than Thurman. If he can learn to set up his blocks and pick up blitzes like Thurman, this kid will be the whole package...

:thumbsup:

I think he will but yeah he needs to learn the Blitz pick up thing, he got beat at least 2 times that I saw the other night. Not knocking him :worthy: just sayin

As soon as he learns to run upfield or cross field, but not backwards. Once he overcomes that negative yardage thing, he will be unbelievable.

With the kind of running that Spiller does, we are going to see some negative yardage. If you want a big play ability on every time he touches the ball, the opponents are going to get to him once in a while. Question is, if Edwards can bail us out of those situations (1st and 17 after a 7 yard loss).

Edited by ganesh

As soon as he learns to run upfield or cross field, but not backwards. Once he overcomes that negative yardage thing, he will be unbelievable.

Barry Sanders used to have those negative yardage plays all the time, it would be like -8, no gan, 20 yards, -2, 10 yards, etc..

I belive that that was just his style, and a product of seeing the whole field, and taking calculated risks, knowing he had the speed and

moves to make up for it. Although I am not sayin that CJ is the next Sanders, I see a lot of similarity in their styles, and this

is the type of runner that he may be his whole career, although he will have to get a little smarter, and maybe a little less riskier.

Edited by Cookiemonster

Kind of a small sample set but it does look like he has an ability to avoid the big hit. When you play the game at a faster speed than the defense that becomes possible. Thurman was like that and so was Flutie. There is a lot to be said for self perservation.

I agree. The coaching is big too, but Spiller gives off a vibe that that he expects to do well (no, please don't call it "swagger", I consider that to be a kind of false bravado, an overcompensating strut), and I think it 's rubbing off, or maybe just bringing it out of some of the other guys. He seems anxious to prove something, instead of just saying "we'll, we will see, I'm hoping that things will go our way", he says "I can't wait to start the real games, we can be explosive!".

I have been accused of being too negative on this board, but I consider Spiller a big step in the right direction not just on the field, but ATTITUDE-wise,

This vibe you're talking about...you are right, it's NOT swagger. It's EXTREME confidence which he brings forth in a humble, matter of fact manner. I love it! In his post game game presser, he mentioned how he feels the Bills can be one of the best teams in the NFL, if not "The Best". And the way he said it, you could tell he really believes it! Is this guy the only one on the planet that believes the Bills could be the best team in the NFL? The main thing he says, is to stay "healthy, & stay humble". As if to say those two things are the key...like it's a forgone conclusion...keep our bodies intact & our heads on straight, & we're #1. This is a complete 180 from Dicky J's whine...that winning is hard. I was against this pick...I wanted to address our line or QB situation. I'll flat out say it even before the season starts...Boy was I wrong! I wouldn't trade this guy for anything! I can see why CHIX picked CJ in like what?...ten seconds on draft day.

It's tricky business asking a back like Spiller to just go down when he is trapped, or the play isn't there, rather than try to do what he does. IMO, he really shouldn't be coached that way right now and I would be surprised if Gailey is harping on it. You don't want him thinking too much as he gets used to the NFL, and it may intrude on his amazing abilities we have seen.

Sure, we don't want him to get -11 yard carries, but if you really watch those plays, they were blown up right away. He probably lost a total of 5 yards more than he should or could of had he been a little smarter. I don't think it's worth it to harness this guy. That is not to tell him to start reversing his field all the time. Only that let him do what he does, he is a very smart back. he will learn when there aren't yards to be gained soon enough.

As fans watching on TV or even being at the game it's so easy to say, "Just go down! There is nothing there!" But with a back like Spiller, I don't want him doing anything but running wild.

It's tricky business asking a back like Spiller to just go down when he is trapped, or the play isn't there, rather than try to do what he does. IMO, he really shouldn't be coached that way right now and I would be surprised if Gailey is harping on it.

Yep...& every once in a while he's gonna escape the swarm, reverse field & take it to the house...wiping out those losses. I'm with you dog, don't mess with his God-given talent. How many home-run hitters are strike-out artists too? It's their batting average that counts...then add up the points.

Haven't had the chance to see the Bengals game yet, but from what I've seen from him prior, it's not just that he's fast, it's that he knows just how to use it. Backs can run flat out from the start, and good defenders can get the angle on them, but if they understand that and have the field vision, they're deadly. He looks like someone who knows how to get defenders to commit before flashing that burst. Three games in and he's already setting up NFL defender for the big whiff. Kid is an ankle breaker that is going to make a lot of good defenders look foolish.

Edited by transient

His ability to change direction going full speed. I have watched the draw play for a TD again and he is heading up field then BANG he seems to just shift 5 yards to the left near the sideline without breaking stride. This kid could end up being special

Not if that kitty Trentative can't hand the ball off to him :rolleyes:

I'm probably out of my mind (i shouldn't dare make this comparison) but the few glimpses i have seen of him remind me of the Barry Sanders

I think he's a lot like Barry. Hopefully, we'll avoid the pitfalls of Barry's huge number of negative yds. plays.

CJ reminds me of Joe Cribbs more than Thurman. Cribbs, BTW, was outstanding!!