Sully is at it again but I find it hard to argue this time.

Sullivan: Bills lack linebackers of distinction

by Jerry Sullivan

Normally, I don't watch NFL preseason games unless the Bills are involved. It's amazing to think Americans are desperate enough for entertainment to justify airing these fraudulent competitions on national TV.

Edited by SDS
Copyright infringement...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

says Bills have worst LB corp in football. I think with Poz, Mitchell and Davis in the middle that that's a strong group up the middle. Outside is an issue. If we get anything from Maybin I believe Torbor, Maybin and Kelsay can be competent. I just don't think we are close to the worst.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article171434.ece

says Bills have worst LB corp in football. I think with Poz, Mitchell and Davis in the middle that that's a strong group up the middle. Outside is an issue. If we get anything from Maybin I believe Torbor, Maybin and Kelsay can be competent. I just don't think we are close to the worst.

I think Jerry was one of the hecklers.

PTR

Yeah me neither. I never heard him single out the lb's last year and he even goes out of the way to say there're much improved. I actually agree with most of what Sully says, however unpopular he is. Sometimes I think he lacks the tact to make a point without sounding like a total moron. Its the "Skip Bayless Effect." You might be right, but everyone thinks your an ass because of the way you tell it.

The Bills LBs were no better last year so what's his point? We can't draft 50 players. We signed two FA LBs. You can't overhaul every position in one year. Sometimes you have to hope the players you have can be coached up.

PTR

I think he was just accessing the situation but it certainly could change! :flirt:

I can't stand Sullivan and in fact don't read the guy, just get subjected occasionally to his anger on the radio. He's obviously an angry, self-loathing individual. No one can be that argumentative and spiteful over something as meaningless as football unless he's wracked with his own issues, and that is definitely the case with this guy. I've said it before on this board, he's a columnist in a newspaper that doesn't rank in the top 50 in the country for readership and is in a one newspaper town. That should tell you all you need to know about his skills and ability. If he was good, he;d be somewhere else, not toiling in obscurity.

All that beind said, if he says our LBs suck, I'll take his back here. Poz is overrated and the rest as miscast and castoffs. Look, a LB is someone who makes an impact the first day he steps on the field. It's not a position where you need to grow and learn in the NFL. You have it or you don't. Great ones are impact players immediately. We don't have one. You can't look at them singularly as a group. They have to be measured in context with the rest of the NFl, both as a group and as individuals and both ways, they don't stack up. I see it as a weakness, not an asset.

I can't stand Sullivan and in fact don't read the guy, just get subjected occasionally to his anger on the radio. He's obviously an angry, self-loathing individual. No one can be that argumentative and spiteful over something as meaningless as football unless he's wracked with his own issues, and that is definitely the case with this guy. I've said it before on this board, he's a columnist in a newspaper that doesn't rank in the top 50 in the country for readership and is in a one newspaper town. That should tell you all you need to know about his skills and ability. If he was good, he;d be somewhere else, not toiling in obscurity.

All that beind said, if he says our LBs suck, I'll take his back here. Poz is overrated and the rest as miscast and castoffs. Look, a LB is someone who makes an impact the first day he steps on the field. It's not a position where you need to grow and learn in the NFL. You have it or you don't. Great ones are impact players immediately. We don't have one. You can't look at them singularly as a group. They have to be measured in context with the rest of the NFl, both as a group and as individuals and both ways, they don't stack up. I see it as a weakness, not an asset.

Youre right.

Poz is average and our OLBs are pretty suspect.

Sullivan: Bills lack linebackers of distinction

by Jerry Sullivan

Normally, I don't watch NFL preseason games unless the Bills are involved. It's amazing to think Americans are desperate enough for entertainment to justify airing these fraudulent competitions on national TV.

You really need to stop cutting and pasting large parts of articles here. The Buffalo News deserves those page views. This is a serious matter.

I'm a big Sullivan fan, he's a great writer. But, I must take him to task on this "But Ralph Wilson was heavily involved in that draft (the first post-Tom Donahoe) and wanted a running back."

That's just simply factually incorrect. 2006 was the first draft post Tom Donahoe. Nit picky, but that seems like an obvious oversight, his editor should have caught that too.

I am not one to sign every single "name" out there on the waiver wire, but I was curious as to why the Bills never kicked the tires on Adalius Thomas. I know he can't move laterally worth a damn, but he can rush the quarterback and get to him.

And not sure you'd find anybody else with a bigger chip on his shoulder when playing NE.

I am not one to sign every single "name" out there on the waiver wire, but I was curious as to why the Bills never kicked the tires on Adalius Thomas. I know he can't move laterally worth a damn, but he can rush the quarterback and get to him.

And not sure you'd find anybody else with a bigger chip on his shoulder when playing NE.

I agree.

Wasn't he injured and failed a physical?

Jerry Sullivan is correct in his assessment that in a 3-4 defense your LBs have to be able to make plays. The players we currently have fall in the category of being average backers. As it stands there are no playmakers within the LB corps.

You can't address all of your needs in one offseason. But somewhere down the line better players will be added to buttress the defense. If you can bring in some stop gap players to help with the defense, as they did, you do it to stay competitive.

OK I just read the whole article, what did he say that was inaccurate? He was spot on with every point. Stop being so sensitive, this is footaball we're talking about right? He's too synical, a troll, not tactful enough-BS! If you don't like his opinions , don't read his stuff. I cannot argue with one thing he said, he's right IMO.