Preseason Head Coaching Decision's - YIKES

T master

Given how deep the Bills are at the running back position and certain distractions that follow certain players at that position i was wondering what some other Bills fans might think.

At the beginning of OTA's when all the rookies came in Joique Bell's college numbers really caught my eye & now that the preseason play has started (which living in Tenn. i don't see the Bills games) i haven't only seen what Bell has done on BB.com .

I just read on Rumblings though this kid has an 8.3 YPC average & has also scored a couple of touch downs this preseason . I know it's only the preseason but given his production in college & it seems to have carried over to the pro's , can you imagine the possibilities ???

I guess what i am getting at is with all the crap following Marshawn around , what would you do if you were the Bills head coach ?

You know if the kid hits the practice squad , waivers ,or worse gets released , he will be GONE !! Probably Bellichek would snatch him up which would make it even worse. Talk is they're thinking about putting him on ST to keep him on the roster . Which if that's all we got i'll take it !!

But a trade with Lynch involved , (which i don't think will happen now) wouldn't be a bad thing for us especially if we could bolster up say the LT position .

Just thinking out loud and was wondering if any of you other Bills fans may have caught what this kid is doing and your impressions !! Go Bills !!!

Given how deep the Bills are at the running back position and certain distractions that follow certain players at that position i was wondering what some other Bills fans might think.

At the beginning of OTA's when all the rookies came in Joique Bell's college numbers really caught my eye & now that the preseason play has started (which living in Tenn. i don't see the Bills games) i haven't only seen what Bell has done on BB.com .

I just read on Rumblings though this kid has an 8.3 YPC average & has also scored a couple of touch downs this preseason . I know it's only the preseason but given his production in college & it seems to have carried over to the pro's , can you imagine the possibilities ???

I guess what i am getting at is with all the crap following Marshawn around , what would you do if you were the Bills head coach ?

You know if the kid hits the practice squad , waivers ,or worse gets released , he will be GONE !! Probably Bellichek would snatch him up which would make it even worse. Talk is they're thinking about putting him on ST to keep him on the roster . Which if that's all we got i'll take it !!

But a trade with Lynch involved , (which i don't think will happen now) wouldn't be a bad thing for us especially if we could bolster up say the LT position .

Just thinking out loud and was wondering if any of you other Bills fans may have caught what this kid is doing and your impressions !! Go Bills !!!

So far he looks good. It's all about who plays the hardest and can move this team forward. There are 5 or so running backs on our roster - If I were head coach I'd mix him in the rotation along with Spiller and Jackson. Lynch is staying out of trouble and all BUT do we really need 4 RBs?

Edited by Rust Belt Brotherhood

Every year we have a running back in camp who is tearing it up and people are proclaiming him the next Walter Payton. Then he gets cut and a bunch of people flip out. Then time goes by and the guy disappears into oblivion and is never heard from again.

Every year we have a running back in camp who is tearing it up and people are proclaiming him the next Walter Payton. Then he gets cut and a bunch of people flip out. Then time goes by and the guy disappears into oblivion and is never heard from again.

Our own Freddy J. being the exception to that rule.....

Then some years, that guy (say former Division 3 and NFL Europe player Fred Jackson) has the 4th most all-purpose yards by any player in league history.

Not saying Joyk will make it, but it's a little silly to dismiss what he's done thus far. He's looked like a complete monster, and I hope they give him a few reps with the first teamers this week.

Edited by Captain Caveman

Bell is not THAT guy. I know he makes the roster and think we keep 4. He looks really good, Jackson didn't look this good in pre-season before he started.

Then some years, that guy (say former Division 3 and NFL Europe player Fred Jackson) has the 4th most all-purpose yards by any player in league history.

Not saying Joyk will make it, but it's a little silly to dismiss what he's done thus far. He's looked like a complete monster, and I hope they give him a few reps with the first teamers this week.

But isn't also a little silly to suggest trading a back who has actually had some success in the league in favor of keeping a preseason superstar who hasn't done anything yet?

I remember this same discussion last year about Bruce Hall.

Bell is not THAT guy. I know he makes the roster and think we keep 4. He looks really good, Jackson didn't look this good in pre-season before he started.

You never know where these guys come from... Terrell Davis was a 6th round pick and would have become a sure HOF'r if he didn't have a career ending injury. Other than Jackson (who looked good, but not this good in preseason), there is not a another player that I can recall in a Bills uniform that was both a stud in preseason AND a stud at their respective college.

You never know where these guys come from... Terrell Davis was a 6th round pick and would have become a sure HOF'r if he didn't have a career ending injury. Other than Jackson (who looked good, but not this good in preseason), there is not a another player that I can recall in a Bills uniform that was both a stud in preseason AND a stud at their respective college.

To clarify, this does not include highly touted draft picks who are "Expected" to be a stud - such as Spiller...

But isn't also a little silly to suggest trading a back who has actually had some success in the league in favor of keeping a preseason superstar who hasn't done anything yet?

Yes, but Bruce Hall was nothing in college. He was nothing more than a 3rd down type back. His entire college career he had 416 yds rushing and 1 TD. Bell, on the other hand, had 6,728 yds rushing and 88 TD.

.. but just keep in mind that as the 3rd string back, he's been playing against the opposing defenses #3's, and that no doubt has helped to "inflate" his statistics somewhat, especially his YPC average. Still, he looks quick and powerful, and I hope the Bills do find a spot for him on the active roster. I agree that he probably wouldn't last too long on the PS. With both Jackson and Lynch nursing injuries, I'm guessing he'll make the roster. I don't expect he'll be active for many games once Lynch and Jackson are back, though, unless he can really play on ST as well.

As fans, we get excited thinking the team may have found the next Terrell Davis, or Emmitt Smith ... but he could just as easily be this year's Xavier Omon.

Edited by merlin

As fans, we get excited thinking the team may have found the next Terrell Davis, or Emmitt Smith ... but he could just as easily be this year's Xavier Omon.

Can't argue, but going back to my comment - Omon did nothing in pre-season to show he was a real deal. 29 carries for 79 yards (2.7 ypc) against weak players is not a good showing.

I don't think it's silly to suggest this when we also have a guy who gained 2500 yards last year and a number 9 pick who's looking pretty good. And to top it off Marshawn is one strike away from a lengthy suspension. If I actually thought we could get anything for him, I'd say trade him.

Edited by Captain Caveman

BTW - that stat is really misleading. Jackson had a good year last year, but absolutely not anything near historically great. Almost half of his total yards came on kickoff returns, where he was merely average. He ranked #15 in the NFL in yards per kickoff return. He also ranked #15 in rushing yards and #12 in receiving yards by a running back.

I like him and stuff, but just wanted to offer a bit of perspective on that surprising stat.

I'll say it, Bell is a NFL back. The way he looks in camp, preseason and his college highlight tape, he'll help alot somewhere barring injury. If we lose him, we will be sorry....If we can trade Marshawn for something, do it. If not, they better be teaching him special teams on the double....maybe they can carry him as an inactive if the other 3 are all healthy....

good problem....

GO BILLS!

IMO, the Bills have a great situation on their hands, four RB's that can play & produce. Currently, the top two RB's are Jackson & Lynch, but the future looks great with Spiller & Bell. I can see the Bills in the Top 5 in rushing offense this year.

I don't know how long Lynch has left on his contract. I doubt he'll get traded by the trade deadline. If this is Lynch's last year on contract with the Bills, then he'll be gone next season. IMO, it would be a big mistake to cut Bell or put him on the practice squad, because he'll get picked up by another team immediately.

I'll say it, Bell is a NFL back. The way he looks in camp, preseason and his college highlight tape, he'll help alot somewhere barring injury. If we lose him, we will be sorry....If we can trade Marshawn for something, do it. If not, they better be teaching him special teams on the double....maybe they can carry him as an inactive if the other 3 are all healthy....

good problem....

GO BILLS!

Lots of guys look good in preseason and/or college.

BTW - that stat is really misleading. Jackson had a good year last year, but absolutely not anything near historically great. Almost half of his total yards came on kickoff returns, where he was merely average. He ranked #15 in the NFL in yards per kickoff return. He also ranked #15 in rushing yards and #12 in receiving yards by a running back.

I like him and stuff, but just wanted to offer a bit of perspective on that surprising stat.

This. Trade him if you can.

Not really. That's why you have coaches/scouts, and this is how you get ahead. Trade a known commodity and make way for an unknown commodity, while bolstering up weaker parts of your team. Why not? I would like to trade Freddy, at his age, but his trade value couldn't be that high. Also, RB's are much easier to find than OT's, so the thought of going in to a game with Bell as the #2 or #3 back doesn't scare me. What I don't want to do it end up with what we had a few years ago when we went into a home game against Philly with Ken Simonton as the #1. That's when you've got problems.