Steve Johnson

Cuze

I'm not sure i'm sold yet that he should be are number 2 receiver. Don't get me wrong i like the guy and think he has a lot of upside but i just haven't seen him do much this preseason to warrant that.I think Chad Jackson has shown him up thus far in preseason and i wouldn't be suprised if Chad Jackson runs with the first team sometime this preseason.Anybody else thinking the same thing? GO BILLS.

He dropped a big catch against the Colts

I'm not sold yet but he has 2 games to change that

The dropped ball happens to everyone, and I'm sure he was very nervous being placed in that position. He was pretty stable last year, and I hope it is not a sign of things to come. Once he settles in, I think he'll do fine.

I don't know if we're going to have a clear number two guy all year. Stevie might be considered the number two but I don't think he'll have a whole lot more receptions than the guys behind him, (Jackson, maybe Nelson).

Edited by bills1960

I'm not sure i'm sold yet that he should be are number 2 receiver. Don't get me wrong i like the guy and think he has a lot of upside but i just haven't seen him do much this preseason to warrant that.I think Chad Jackson has shown him up thus far in preseason and i wouldn't be suprised if Chad Jackson runs with the first team sometime this preseason.Anybody else thinking the same thing? GO BILLS.

I always thought he played his best out of the slot

I don't see the big upside either, at least not yet. I wouldn't be surprised either if Jackson ends up starting. Damn shame that it isn't Hardy.

I think he is on the bubble, he may or may not make the team.

I know there's a lot of questions concerning the new coaching staff/regime, but I doubt they would be letting a borderline cut as you say to play with the starting unit through two preseason games.

I have liked Steve Johnson since he's been here. But, seeing him these past few weeks, I've come away with one thought standing out the most: he seems slow. Like T. Owens slow - at least, Owens looked slow last year running his routes, but he's quick enough to get it done. I don't know how fast or quick Johnson is really - has anyone else thought this?

As for being number two, I agree that we'll probably not have the stereotypical number whatever recievers this year. I think we'll see Evans lining up where number two or three recievers line up at times, in order to try to get him more involved. I can see us just having a lot of different formations and groups of recievers out there to try to confuse the defense. And really, with the guys we have, each offering something different, there will be times and places to use them all. It reminds me of the Saints last year - three or four of their recievers were good enough and fast enough to be considered a one, and they all made big plays, and you never knew where it was going to go. I'd like for our offense to look like that - spread the ball around.

Not sold on anyone at all. I am sure Steve Johnson is ok when timed with a stop-watch but it looks like he just - plays - so - s-l-o-w. He has to make up for that with great routes and great hands. So far I don't think he has shown that.

Chad Jackson does look to have more upside from my limited perspective.

jackson appears to be the most rounded mature reciever after evans

official mhs guaranteed to happen® odds for the season opening WR2:

2:1 jackson

3:1 stevie

5:1 nelson

9:1 hardly

10:1 jones

16:1 sco

Edited by Meathead

Johnson hasn't had many balls thrown his way, I remember him making a big first down catch against the redskins, after Trent underthrew a ball to him the play before. The pass he drop last game, there should have been a illegal contact or pass interference called on the DB. Chad Jackson has made plays, but against second and third stringers. Johnson is still the guy in my eyes.

Johnson hasn't had many balls thrown his way, I remember him making a big first down catch against the redskins, after Trent underthrew a ball to him the play before. The pass he drop last game, there should have been a illegal contact or pass interference called on the DB. Chad Jackson has made plays, but against second and third stringers. Johnson is still the guy in my eyes.

Still a couple of games to figure it out, but I have a feeling we'll see Jackson start off as the #2 WR and Johnson in the slot.

Stevie should become a factor in the red zone, however. You don't need to be terribly fast and he's got the height that we've sorely needed.

I know there's a lot of questions concerning the new coaching staff/regime, but I doubt they would be letting a borderline cut as you say to play with the starting unit through two preseason games.

For years he has consistently done nothing. People always say "because he hasn't been given the chance". Well, the Bills are now giving him the chance by letting him run with the starters. They are giving him every chance to shine here. If he doesn't, then he may be bye bye. Remember, these are totally new coaches and they may not recognize him all the 5 time All-Pro future HOFer people around these parts do. Come on, in reality, he's done zero. He is a bubble player.

Edited by kas23

Guest dog14787

What he said...

This is dangerous ground you tread on, questioning Steve Johnson...

He hasn't shown enough to be handed the job, but with the lack of time the first team is on the field, it would be nice to see him getting some reps with the second team. As somebody mentioned, I like him out of the slot, but honestly, if Roscoe can get the ball in his hands, that is a good thing for us. There is a reason Chan wants Roscoe in the slot, and it's because he creates match-up nightmares with his speed.

Jackson has looked real good, and I am excited to see what Nelson can show us as a big physical presence. I think it is time to cut our losses with Hardy. All the Maybin bashing, but at least he tries...or so it seems. Hardy is either hurt or underachieving, and taking up a roster spot because he was a high draft pick. There is no reason to keep him around.

I felt that way until visiting TC and watching the two PS games. I think Chad Jackson is going to be the guy. He's faster and consistently gets separation moreso than Johnson. Maybe that's why Johnson hasn't has many balls go his way. He works hard but looks to me like a situational possession receiver and not a NFL #2 receiver.

I have a real hard time speaking highly of Chad Jackson after watching the Indy game. Four of his five catches were short, comeback routes against scrubs, and of course he had the great catch from Brohm deep for 25+/- yards. But he was targeted far more than the five times he caught the ball, and those plays scared me off. Jackson is a 4.3 guy, so he's got speed. But there were several times he couldn't get separation which, especially on deep routes, with his speed, and considering the competition he faced, is a big concern. The thought that Johnson might not "make the team" is insane, but he hasn't really stood out as the clear cut #2 across from Evans. I'd still wager that Johnson wins it at this point, but I'd like to see what Hardy's got when healthy. We drafted him high for a reason - he was a force at Indiana.

The big deal here about the failure of any Bill to command the #2 slot is simply that history has shown us that Evans is far less effective if the opponent can can dt him. Unless the Bills have someone lined up at #2 who at least makes the opposing DC think about giving him more than 1 on 1 attention it simply hamstrings the whole O.

I have a real hard time speaking highly of Chad Jackson after watching the Indy game. Four of his five catches were short, comeback routes against scrubs, and of course he had the great catch from Brohm deep for 25+/- yards. But he was targeted far more than the five times he caught the ball, and those plays scared me off. Jackson is a 4.3 guy, so he's got speed. But there were several times he couldn't get separation which, especially on deep routes, with his speed, and considering the competition he faced, is a big concern. The thought that Johnson might not "make the team" is insane, but he hasn't really stood out as the clear cut #2 across from Evans. I'd still wager that Johnson wins it at this point, but I'd like to see what Hardy's got when healthy. We drafted him high for a reason - he was a force at Indiana.

Take the guy with the most immediate potential and let him go for it.....at this point looks like Jackson to me.