No season in 2011

Interesting thought, If there is a lockout,

Is there a draft for 2011?

If the draft occurs and no season is played in 2011, Will there be a draft in 2012?

Would the same order be used for 2012 that was used for 2011? If so, could the team drafting have the two consecutive #1 picks for "11 and "12?

If the draft occurs and no season is played in 2011, Will there be a draft in 2012?

Would the same order be used for 2012 that was used for 2011? If so, could the team drafting have the two consecutive #1 picks for "11 and "12?

Will there be a team salary cap in 2012?

If there is no season in '11, how does it change the way the Bills draft?

There will be a draft in April 2011, in my humble opinion. Unless they come to a labor agreement before hand, the owners will not announce a "lock out" until after UFA period in March, and after the draft. I think they will want to string the players along right up until OTA's are scheduled to start the week after the draft, or perhaps even after that, until just before training camp is scheduled to start. That will allow more time to negotiate, and still leave enough time for the owners to shut down before any "reporting bonuses" are due to be paid around training camp time.

I am sure that whatever happens, somebody will say it will be because Ralph is too cheap.

In reality, you cannot help but speculate if the 2010 draft selections were influenced by the possibility that there will not be a 2011 season. Trading up to select a big dollar player who would get big guaranteed money to sit at home and play Madden is not the best use of anyone's money and would certainly make me think at least twice before I made such a move.

There will be a draft in April 2011, in my humble opinion. Unless they come to a labor agreement before hand, the owners will not announce a "lock out" until after UFA period in March, and after the draft. I think they will want to string the players along right up until OTA's are scheduled to start the week after the draft, or perhaps even after that, until just before training camp is scheduled to start. That will allow more time to negotiate, and still leave enough time for the owners to shut down before any "reporting bonuses" are due to be paid around training camp time.

I was under the impression that the players were the ones who were going to hold out....

With that said, college players leaving for the pros wont have a say in anything yet because they arent in the league - at least that would make sense to me. So even if there is a strike, the owners would prob say they need to have to draft same as always to allocate the new players properly.

PS If no CBA is agreed upon prior to say January, We are not going to see many underclassman declaring. Underclassmen always make or break a draft - especially at QB in 2011.

A lot of people say the early 90's Bills were so dominant because they had Bruce on defense and Jim on Offense. And we wouldn't have been in a position to draft Bruce if Jim hadn't gone to the USFL so some of the cornerstones of that team were put in place by a unique set of circumstances.

Maybe something similar will happen with this next season. We'll most likely get a high draft pick and get Mallett, Locker or Ponder. And depending on how the next draft is arranged we could pick up another stud and take a few giant steps forward.

And if you give Mooreman a year to rest he might just punt the ball out of the stadium from time to time...

I just can't believe there will be a lockout in 2011. There are billions of dollars at stake for both sides. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face! Could be a diminished season but I doubt that as well.

We've discussed this before and I have the same solution:

Shane Falco

His coaches rushed him into the starting position in his first season, he should have never been on the field that early.

...if he brings his hot cheerleader girlfriend, I'm all for it.

:thumbdown:

Note: Not a great movie by any stretch, but if you haven't seen The Replacements at least twice you have no business being on this board.

:wallbash:

I give major credit to the Bills and Ralph Wilson relative to the CBA. Almost every team but Buffalo is so over-leveraged, with debt to their eyeballs that I don't see how a lockout can be avoided. The NFL has the highest debt load of any professional sport. You've seen the NFL lower the debt cap and put forth a very aggressive debt reduction plan.

The owners *need* concessions from the players to remain somewhat economically viable and to reduce all that debt. It's really not a question of negotiation.

The financial approach and mechanisms of the 90s and 00s are unsustainable. A lockout might do some good in that it will protect the game itself and the investments that cities (taxpayers) have made in the teams and set a course where teams are financially healthier.

I just can't believe there will be a lockout in 2011. There are billions of dollars at stake for both sides. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face! Could be a diminished season but I doubt that as well.

Not as many billions at stake for the owners, since their TV contract is guaranteed even in the event of a lockout. They're likely to profit more from a lockout, since they won't have to pay the players.

I had asked Tim Graham this and he said there would definitely still be a draft. He didn't get into what would happen for 2012, but I think most people are assuming they will salvage some of the 2011 season, so the 2012 rules likely wouldn't be changed.