Four Shot Dead At Buffalo Restaurant

Steely Dan

Looks like those of us who guessed gang-bangers were right. From today's buff news:

The story

Killed were Danyell Mackin, 30; Tiffany Wilhite, 32; Shawn-Tia McNeil, 27; and Willie McCaa III, 26. Wounded were Demario Vass, 30; James Robbs Jr., 27; Shamar Davis, 30; and Tillman Ward, 27. Vass remained hospitalized late Tuesday in critical condition.

At least three of the individuals who were shot had been shot or targeted before, and one of them had a brother who was violently tortured and murdered, police said.

Ward, who was shot in the elbow and is recovering, also was shot last Nov. 23 with his cousin Francois Mitchell, 25, when someone opened fire on them in a parking lot on Walden Avenue.

Ward's brother, Rome Ward, 21, was murdered in 2007. Police found his body -- bearing signs of torture and dismemberment -- about a month after he was kidnapped.

And in March of this year, another cousin of Ward's -- Dontae Coble, 16 -- was charged with murder. Homicide detectives accused Coble of fatally stabbing Daniel Smalls, 18, on Feb. 13 outside a house party on Genesee Street.

Wilhite, according to a 2007 police report, told police a man fired several shots at her late on Dec. 23, 2007, at Broadway and Mills Street but missed, striking a nearby vehicle.

McCaa, who was killed in Saturday morning's attack, survived a shooting on March 31, 2008, in which he was shot in the groin as he left a store at Bailey and Kermit avenues.

McCaa was facing some trouble with the law at the time of his death. According to Sedita, McCaa was scheduled to go to trial on a felony robbery charge this week in State Supreme Court.

That's got to smart....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least three of the individuals who were shot had been shot or targeted before, and one of them had a brother who was violently tortured and murdered...

As opposed to what other kind of torture? Watching Charles in Charge reruns?

There have been some interesting commentaries on the fallout from the shootings....downtown fighting back, how the mayor responded, racist reactions, etc.

racism & stupidity in the wake of the shootings

That is a pretty broad statement to make, but it comes down to this. When gangbangers and thugs start bringing their murderous ways to the very places that civilized people congregate, you are going to get these types of strong, emotional reactions. Had this happened in the middle of the hood we wouldn't even be talking about it.

Anyone of your friends or family, or even you, could have been caught in the crossfire.

That is a pretty broad statement to make, but it comes down to this. When gangbangers and thugs start bringing their murderous ways to the very places that civilized people congregate, you are going to get these types of strong, emotional reactions. Had this happened in the middle of the hood we wouldn't even be talking about it.

Anyone of your friends or family, or even you, could have been caught in the crossfire.

Exactly... I really believe what your last line said was true.

My whole thing is when you invite known gangbangers to a party something might pop off. It happens in bigger city way more than it happens here.

I think the police know who did it, they just have not caught him yet. I hope they do quick, people like this should be under the jail.

I can't link it from my iPhone but the D & C has an article about the people protesting the Buffalo News' publication of the victims criminal records.

Here it is.....I was a little shocked they did it, but I have to agree with Margaret Sullivan's comment:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100823/NEWS01/100823024/Group-protests-Buffalo-News-over-shooting-victims-article

I can't link it from my iPhone but the D & C has an article about the people protesting the Buffalo News' publication of the victims criminal records.

Wait a minute? You mean some of the victims weren't god-fearing, church-going, always drive 55, type of people?