Okay, let me have it.

I know I was leading the TBD optimist's club lately. Everyone is invited to say "I told you so." Not throwing in the towel and we still have time to right things, but that was not the performance I was expecting to see, outside of the first offensive and defensive series. I'm as disappointed as anyone.

FYI I was at a show so I could only see a little TV from afar with no sound. So I have not seen the game in detail yet. I know the results though.

PTR

Simple advice: Trust your eyes more than your heart. :beer:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had hopes the Bills would play well and impress....and I have hopes I'll win the lotto when I buy that ticket once every blue moon. In hindsight, expecting a team with a new coaching staff, new offense, new defense, a long injury list and a talent-deprived roster to function well in their first game is pushing it. That's why my prediction Friday was that there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth today.....bingo! Should have played the lotto instead!

If I'm going to follow the Bills, I hope for the best, but my expectations are much lower. I said earlier this year, if they give us a couple MEMORABLE wins (plus maybe a few not so memorable wins), I'll be happy. It's a major transition year, there are more holes than can be filled in 1-2 years, and we continue to be snake-bitten with injuries. I'll be happy if the games are close and competitive throughout the year. To expect anything more isn't in me. But I'll continue to hope for a miracle!

The "transition" decade of the aughts (2000-2009) will make that Super Bowl win that much sweeter! Hopefully it happens before I die. I've been following them since '68 and am starting to feel and look a little like Ralph. :beer:

Anyone that knows the game has heard this but it apparently needs repeating here...

Blueprint:

1) Do you have a QB?

2) Can you protect that QB?

3) Can you get to the other teams QB?

Period.

Until OBD follows this blueprint AND IN THIS ORDER, you will continue to be the worlds most miserable fans.

You are right on. Those 2 TD's should not have counted. The WR fumbled the ball and only recovered it after he was tackled, and he never crossed the goal line, and they called it a TD.

Cary Harris was clearly and blatantly blocked in the back and there was no flag thrown.

The 4th & inches non-play was very strange. Had it been a regular season game they would've punted, but going for it could have given the offense some desperately needed motivation.

The first thing that came to mind when they punted on that 4th and inches was Jauron. A preseason game, already getting whooped and we still have not guts. Sounds just like the last few years.

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed on the previous play but I rewound it slowed and it down at the end of the play and it looked like Johnson got the first down on the 3rd down play. When he got tackled, he was pulled back and should have gotten forward progress beyond the first down marker but they didn't give it to him.

I know I was leading the TBD optimist's club lately. Everyone is invited to say "I told you so." Not throwing in the towel and we still have time to right things, but that was not the performance I was expecting to see, outside of the first offensive and defensive series. I'm as disappointed as anyone.

FYI I was at a show so I could only see a little TV from afar with no sound. So I have not seen the game in detail yet. I know the results though.

PTR

I don't think the problem is this year, even if they had made all the right moves this off-season I think they would have been a poor team this year, but I have serious questions about whether they have set any foundation for next year or the year after- they needed to increase the talent level of the offensive line and QB- Spiller may be a fine player but a situational running back is not part of a quality foundation, more like putting fancy rims on a junker.

I was not and still am not overly optimisitic about the season. But, wow. They looked worse than I could have imagined. Call it tired, call it injuries, call it what you want, but they didn't even look adequate.

Can we please bench Trent. Please. I honestly can't imagine what the coaching staff sees in him. Is it me or does he just look completely disinterested out there?

he didnt fumble a handoff. he's great.

he threw a quick pass to a receiver with zero pressure. "hike" stand up. throw. NOW HE'S IMMORTAL.

he's just not that good. and im tired of hearing how we won some games with him before. all that is dumb and in the past. any qb can win some games.

Other than blind faith, there is no reason to expect the Bills to be good this year. Maybe there will be a few nuggets of hope for next year among some of the young guys.

That's about right. I am hoping that they are better at the end of the season than they will be at the beginning.

I've written it before, and have been torched for it. I'll write it again and please torch away if necessary. because I'm really liking it. It's not my rule, but your QB must have leadership qualities, because your QB controls the tempo of the game, blah...blah...blah, I know! (much like a pitcher in baseball) also, instilling confidence into his team mates to execute and take control of the game. (taking command of the huddle, the QB's job, hello Mcfly! etc. et,al) The "IT" factor!

We all know that the game of football requires mental and physical prowess.

Trent "does not" have IT! That prowess, those leadership qualities, nor does he control any part of his game, or his own bodily functions! I swear to God! Stevie Wonder can see it! Why can't our coach? (and others?) Just listen to his interviews for God's sakes! Will he ever accept responsibility for any of his piss-poor performances!

I'm sure Trent is a good man, a great neighbor, a great brother, a good son, a listening friend. But a good QB, he will never, ever be.

I've written it before, and have been torched for it. I'll write it again and please torch away if necessary. because I'm really liking it. It's not my rule, but your QB must have leadership qualities, because your QB controls the tempo of the game, blah...blah...blah, I know! (much like a pitcher in baseball) also, instilling confidence into his team mates to execute and take control of the game. (taking command of the huddle, the QB's job, hello Mcfly! etc. et,al) The "IT" factor!

We all know that the game of football requires mental and physical prowess.

Trent "does not" have IT! That prowess, those leadership qualities, nor does he control any part of his game, or his own bodily functions! I swear to God! Stevie Wonder can see it! Why can't our coach? (and others?) Just listen to his interviews for God's sakes! Will he ever accept responsibility for any of his piss-poor performances!

I'm sure Trent is a good man, a great neighbor, a great brother, a good son, a listening friend. But a good QB, he will never, ever be.

I love those lines. Classic Lou.

PTR

Promo, you were an optimistic robot when I was a kid. That in itself is rare, as most robots of the day lacked the capacity for optimism and emotion in general. Today's robots pretty much want to destroy mankind as we know it. So, if we lose you, where are we?

Here's the right way to look at it:

Chan Gailey's strength as a coach is to take the people he has and design and offense to maximize their potential. He's also overseeing a transition to a new defensive scheme. Several of his penciled-in starters were not on the field for any of Friday's game on both sides of the ball.

He's got his benchmark, he didn't like what he saw and it's back to work.

There may well be time to panic, but this surely is not it.

The first thing that came to mind when they punted on that 4th and inches was Jauron. A preseason game, already getting whooped and we still have not guts. Sounds just like the last few years.

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed on the previous play but I rewound it slowed and it down at the end of the play and it looked like Johnson got the first down on the 3rd down play. When he got tackled, he was pulled back and should have gotten forward progress beyond the first down marker but they didn't give it to him.

I thought it was a bad spot as well. Chan should have challenged the spot.

You know though PTR, it was one of them games had a couple of plays went just a little differently, take a penalty or two away, I don't know, maybe things could have went differently,

Myself personally, I'm still optimistic and think 9-7 or better is still going to happen,

This is a wake up call and we still have a long way to go, but better now then in the Miami game,

9-7? Son, if you're going to post here you've got to stay off the drugs.

For me, I was expecting a putrid offense. But what really surprised me was how mediocre the defense looked. The secondary was supposed to be a strength, and even they looked somewhat lost out there. Maybe they were tired..who knows.

We'll see what we've got on opening day, but it doesn't look good at this point.

You know though PTR, it was one of them games had a couple of plays went just a little differently, take a penalty or two away, I don't know, maybe things could have went differently,

Myself personally, I'm still optimistic and think 9-7 or better is still going to happen,

This is a wake up call and we still have a long way to go, but better now then in the Miami game,

9-7 ? I give you credit for being an eternal optimist. Or are you just stubborn, stupid, or sadistic? I had to golf with my BILLS golf bag Sunday in DC and took a beating, although most people were just showing sympathy and pity on me for being a BILLS fan. You can't be serious 9-7, give me a hit of that stuff you're smokin'

Promo, you were an optimistic robot when I was a kid. That in itself is rare, as most robots of the day lacked the capacity for optimism and emotion in general. Today's robots pretty much want to destroy mankind as we know it. So, if we lose you, where are we?

Here's the right way to look at it:

Chan Gailey's strength as a coach is to take the people he has and design and offense to maximize their potential. He's also overseeing a transition to a new defensive scheme. Several of his penciled-in starters were not on the field for any of Friday's game on both sides of the ball.

He's got his benchmark, he didn't like what he saw and it's back to work.

There may well be time to panic, but this surely is not it.

The most reasoned and intelligent post I have seen on this game so far. Nice job.

Guest dog14787

PTR

A game for all the optimist on board here at TSW, ( Colts ,Bills )

Cheers to all the Billievers...:w00t: