Jimmy Clausen

I'll be honest here: I didn't really care who we drafted this spring, as we had a hell of a lot of needs.

But after watching some of the Panthers/Ravens game last night, I have to say...I wish we had drafted Clausen. For his first NFL game, he looked better than anyone we've got on the team right now. I couldn't help but think "he could've been ours" the entire time I watched. Am I alone here?

Oh well - here's hoping that Spiller ends up making me forget all about this tonight!

[/quot

He looked really good.. I felt the same way watching him.. Looked like a real leader on the field!!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clausen continues to light it up. 9 for 22 (41%), 72 yards (3.3 ypa, thank god for that cannon), and 1 INT. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010082157/2010/PRE2/jets@panthers/analyze/box-score

His numbers so far this preseason: 17 for 37 (45.9), 152 yards (4.1 ypa), 0 tds (and 0 td drives led), 2 INTs, and 35 QB rating.

I can't believe the Bills passed on this kid. He is obviously much better than any QB we have here!!!

Was he poised, amassing those awesome stats?

The problem here is though that we continue to focus on this individual or that individual when actually if one wants to win the focus needs to be on building a winning TEAM in its entirety.

Claussen may well end up with good breaks and luck (injuries and how the oddly shaped ball decides to bounce really end up determining a lot in this game of inches where the refs even blew a coin flip in an OT game when it comes to determining the fate of an individual player) a very good player.

However, even if he proves to be productive elsewhere I still think the Bill should not have drafted him not because of an evaluation of Claussen but an evaluation of our team, the local media, and some noisy fans who troll TSW, call WGR, and wander yelling drunkenly at the Ralph.

I simply do not see the noisy opinion leaders in this area allowing us to build a winning TEAM around a QB who will almost immediately be deemed a savior and then held to a silly standard of perfection that few humans (and in particular a brash gutsy young QB who like it or not needs a bit of work on speeding up his delivery and surviving in the pro game.

How can a winning Bills team be built given the reality of a O for a decade playoff appearance record and all the realities of mismanagement which have contributed to this (blame individual players, HCs, GMs or whatever series of individuals you want but the buck has to stop with an owner who exercises his ownership right to meddle and from his handshake deal with Jimbo where he misassessed the team's QB situation leading to us chasing our tail with disastrous results for over a decade to a series of `st round snafus which either he led the charge or at least signed off on series of unarguably bad calls.

We owe him many props for keeping the team here but impossible to argue against facts point to his mismanagement of the franchise by him or the men he directly hired,

Yet, hope springs eternal and I hope the current strategy of getting and holding playmakers (Spiller, Evans, Lindell, and even McKelvin on PR can put points on the board. These playmakers are fum to watch but are not the foundation for a winning strategy. However, perhaps they are the bridge to this team buying producers in the trenches one can build around.

If this is the strategy I think there is a higher chance of success then acquiring the franchise QB as an add on rather than trying to draft and build around him.

It is not about Claussen talent or maturity it is about a lack of maturity in the fan base and media in WNY to have the patience to make it work with a Clausen. What give you faith in the media and a noisy minority in the fan base. What is your development strategy which starts with a Clausen?

I wanted him at 9. When he was amazingly still on the board when our 2nd pick came around, I was shocked and disappointed we didn't grab him. That would've been a steal and made our draft better. A top-ten talent in the 2nd round at a reasonable price.

Clausen continues to light it up. 9 for 22 (41%), 72 yards (3.3 ypa, thank god for that cannon), and 1 INT. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010082157/2010/PRE2/jets@panthers/analyze/box-score

His numbers so far this preseason: 17 for 37 (45.9), 152 yards (4.1 ypa), 0 tds (and 0 td drives led), 2 INTs, and 35 QB rating.

I can't believe the Bills passed on this kid. He is obviously much better than any QB we have here!!!

He's a rookie. You see Bradford's stats in the first half against Cleveland playing with the 1s? 6/14 24 yards. That's coming off 6/13 for 58 yards.

Rookie QBs don't light up the NFL very often.

Anyone who is ripping a guy who has taken less than 40 preseason snaps in his NFL career is just hoping and praying that the guys fail.

The ironic thing is that the same people who are killing Clausen AFTER 2 PRESEASON GAMES are the ones who are saying to give guys like Maybin a chance.

I'll give you that on Clausen, Tebow, and Bradford.

But tell that to the guys ripping Brian Brohm.

It's the same thing…just a matter of degree.

You can only START to judge Brohm now because he's had such limited snaps/games/years under his belt.

It's a work in progress.

I'll give you that on Clausen, Tebow, and Bradford.

But tell that to the guys ripping Brian Brohm.

It's the same thing…just a matter of degree.

You can only START to judge Brohm now because he's had such limited snaps/games/years under his belt.

It's a work in progress.

^^^THIS^^^

He's a rookie. You see Bradford's stats in the first half against Cleveland playing with the 1s? 6/14 24 yards. That's coming off 6/13 for 58 yards.

Really? We crucify QB's after one incomplete pass!

PTR

I like Clausen, but there is not a young Qb around who has a shot at developing into something good on this team. Our O-line is terrible on the edges, which WILL affect our running game> Teams don't even need to blitz to get pressure on us. They can sit back in coverage and still pressure with a 4 man rush. That leaves us with the same problem we've always had, a solid, but undersized #1 receiver with no solid tall #2 to alleviate double teams. AND we don't have a decent TE to act as a safety blanket. So any QB starting for us starts off with the chips stacked against him.

I'll be honest here: I didn't really care who we drafted this spring, as we had a hell of a lot of needs.

But after watching some of the Panthers/Ravens game last night, I have to say...I wish we had drafted Clausen. For his first NFL game, he looked better than anyone we've got on the team right now. I couldn't help but think "he could've been ours" the entire time I watched. Am I alone here?

Oh well - here's hoping that Spiller ends up making me forget all about this tonight!

As I said a few months ago after the draft and got mauled on this board, watch in about 3 or 4 years when Clausen is in the Pro Bowl and we will see how it was a mistake to pass him up.

It works both ways. The OP was lauding Clausen after his first preseason appearance, which was mediocre at best btw. I think some were just pointing out his 2nd appearance was dog**** and cursing the front office for not taking the kid already is just asinine.

No shortage of Notre Dame fanboys on this board.

I see Clausen as a QB who has that "it" factor. He seems to be a leader, confident, poised, and eager to play and learn. He seems to be able to make all the throws and isn't scared or second guessing himself. I think you have to look beyond the stats and look at the intangibles. IMHO, he has much more potential than any of our current mistakes. How would this team in a year or two with Clausen, Spiller, and a couple of more quality offensive weapons?

It is like a broken record in my head "saying we could have gotten him at pick 41." IMHO, it was a no brainer and we blew it! I know many of you don't share my point of view...

Edited by mpl6876

Not sure on Clausen and I wish him the best, but given who was already on our roster:

Troup + Edwards + Brohm > Clausen + Edwards + Brohm.

Not sure Clausen will be better than Trent in 2010, but even if he is, I don't think by a margin that makes up for not having Troup on the roster at NT. So in terms of building a winning team for 2010 this seems like a no brainer. If Clausen excels over the next few years and Edwards and Brohm don't, then we might be disappointed with the selection in the future.

But the original post was praising him for his "amazing" debut.

And the fact remains that a lot of people argued that he was an immediate upgrade to the position. He isn't.

Anyone who is ripping a guy who has taken less than 40 preseason snaps in his NFL career is just hoping and praying that the guys fail.

The ironic thing is that the same people who are killing Clausen AFTER 2 PRESEASON GAMES are the ones who are saying to give guys like Maybin a chance.

You're just mad because you're

gonna have to pay for case of beer. People were rushing to praise the guy after a 41 qb rating, 1 int, & 3 point performance. If he actually led his team to a td, people would be falling all over themselves.

And people here were killing Maybin as a rookie. And Maybin is younger than Clausen. So if you going to criticize one young player, don't get mad when others criticize your golden boy. And I think I'm leaning toward Stellas.

I see Clausen as a QB who has that "it" factor. He seems to be a leader, confident, poised, and eager to play and learn. He seems to be able to make all the throws and isn't scared or second guessing himself. I think you have to look beyond the stats and look at the intangibles. IMHO, he has much more potential than any of our current mistakes. How would this team in a year or two with Clausen, Spiller, and a couple of more quality offensive weapons?

It is like a broken record in my head "saying we could have gotten him at pick 41." IMHO, it was a no brainer and we blew it! I know many of you don't share my point of view...

Trent Edwards had a 99 qb rating his rookie preseason. That sounds a lot more like "it" a 35 qb rating.