Who agrees with the statement by Peter King?

"Bradford said his surgically repaired right shoulder hasn't bothered him at camp. He said he was very happy with his accuracy in camp. Quarterbacks in the NFL need lots of traits to succeed, but none is more important than that last one -- accuracy. At the base of it all, that's why Tom Brady and Drew Brees and Peyton Manning have succeeded. And it's why JaMarcus Russell, Cade McNown and Kyle Boller didn't."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...l#ixzz0w7KDLziK

I hear this all of the time, whether its from NFL people or the high-end NFL media. Assuming that is true - or, rather, that most people of consequence in the league believe it to be true - it would explain the continuing hope that Edwards will pan out.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Montana, Kurt Warner...along with those mentioned had the uncanny ability to read a defense and quickly get the ball to a receiver in stride. I don't think accuracy is overrated.

Does it go above pure God given ability? Does it go before desire...will to win? Does it go before leadership ability?

From what I saw at camp on Saturday, particularly during the QB drills Trent was very accurate at times and downright awful at others. When he missed it was either very high or he skipped the ball.

From what I saw at camp on Saturday, particularly during the QB drills Trent was very accurate at times and downright awful at others. When he missed it was either very high or he skipped the ball.

That probably means they're working on his mechanics, which is a good thing.

There is no denying that accuracy is the number one trait personnel people value most when evaluating a QB. Intelligence, pocket awareness, and leadership are next in line, followed by "can he throw the long out?" i.e. can he make all the throws. People often confuse the last trait with the need to have a cannon for an arm. Few QBs do. But none of the other traits mean squat if a QB is not accurate.

It really is that simple. And while TE is accurate, if he doesn't regain his confidence and take shots down the field when they're clearly there, his accuracy won't matter either.

GO BILLS!!!

There is no denying that accuracy is the number one trait personnel people value most when evaluating a QB. Intelligence, pocket awareness, and leadership are next in line, followed by "can he throw the long out?" i.e. can he make all the throws. People often confuse the last trait with the need to have a cannon for an arm. Few QBs do. But none of the other traits mean squat if a QB is not accurate.

It really is that simple. And while TE is accurate, if he doesn't regain his confidence and take shots down the field when they're clearly there, his accuracy won't matter either.

GO BILLS!!!

Well said.

GO BILLS!!!

You got it.

And I question TE's accuracy downfield. I'm not saying he isn't accurate, but I haven't seen enough of it to be sure he is.

"Bradford said his surgically repaired right shoulder hasn't bothered him at camp. He said he was very happy with his accuracy in camp. Quarterbacks in the NFL need lots of traits to succeed, but none is more important than that last one -- accuracy. At the base of it all, that's why Tom Brady and Drew Brees and Peyton Manning have succeeded. And it's why JaMarcus Russell, Cade McNown and Kyle Boller didn't."

I hear this all of the time, whether its from NFL people or the high-end NFL media. Assuming that is true - or, rather, that most people of consequence in the league believe it to be true - it would explain the continuing hope that Edwards will pan out.

And it also explains why guys like JP Losman fail. Look great in pads, strong arm, mobile, but piss poor accuracy and pocket awareness.

There are a lot of factors that go into the making of a great NFL QB. But the three indispensable ones are: Quick and correct recognition of the defense; quick release, and accuracy. And it goes without saying that you must do those things consistently. Without those three, all the leadership, all the toughness, all the powerful arm, all the size in the world mean nothing.

My chief problem with Edwards is his inaccuracy while on the run. I'm not sure he completes 5% of those. For the record, my observation is the 3 top QBs are interchangeable. One is not discernably better than the others.

I don't, personally. I'd take decision-making, which includes understanding defenses and the ability to go through your reads correctly and quickly.

Accuracy is crucial, though, no question.

But you can be accurate as all get out and if you've made the wrong decision and you're throwing the ball to the wrong place, it means nothing.

There are a lot of factors that go into the making of a great NFL QB. But the three indispensable ones are: Quick and correct recognition of the defense; quick release, and accuracy. And it goes without saying that you must do those things consistently. Without those three, all the leadership, all the toughness, all the powerful arm, all the size in the world mean nothing.

Nice Hunter Thompson avatar!

And it also explains why guys like JP Losman fail. Look great in pads, strong arm, mobile, but piss poor accuracy and pocket awareness.

Actually, when they ran an offense that was built around him, in 2006, he was pretty accurate and did OK on pocket awareness, which wasn't easy with that OL:

LT: Gandy for the first 7 games, and Peters for the last 9

LG: Tutan Reyes and then Mike Gandy

C: Melvin Fowler

RG: Chris Villarrial in his last painfully slow year, and then Duke Preston

RT: Jason Peters for the first seven games and then Terrance Pennington

Except for Peters, there's nothing there. Nothing.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/team...2006_roster.htm

Then, noticing precisely that opening up the offense had brought out the best in JP in the second half of the year, they cleverly closed up the offense for the rest of his time in Buffalo. That wily, wary, Steve Fairchild.

2006: 62.5%, 7.1 YPA, 19 TDs/ 14 INTs. Not bad for a guy who, going into the season had 13 games experience, in the first four of which he threw a cumulative total of five passes. Not a franchise season, but definitely something to build on, if they hadn't taken a left turn instead.

You also have to have consistency - that seems to be the problems we had with Trent and Fitzpatrick last year. They can make some great thows, but others are just way, way off. Unfortuntely, you can make a bunch of great throws on a drive, but you throw one bad one and it's all for naught because it's a turnover.