Should we hope the bills lose games, like Jerry Sullivan said?

Hossage

I just got done with a live chat on the Buffalonews site with Jerry Sullivan.

Sully predicts the bills can look forward a 4-12 season this year, and seven and nine next year. As a goal.

He said we are more likely to be the worst team in the NFL than make the playoffs.

He also said the best thing for us is to lose as many games as possible to get a higher draft pick.

Sully: "You're a fan. Set your goals high. But understand that the best thing for this franchise is to get a high draft pick in a year where there might be several franchise QBs available."

Me: "I have more pride than to hope the bills lose to get a higher draft pick. If you think that, I dont believe you respect the game of football at all."

Sully: I'm not asking you to hope they lose. You obviously don't grasp the fine points of the argument. Sorry for not "respecting" your favorite game. You can't even present a literate screen name. Get out of here, you cretin.

He then banned me.

Why do we have to suffer this lack of professionalism from our journalists?

We may only deserve to win a five games. But if we work hard, stick together, and with the fans and the weather on our side, we can pull out a few more. Football is an emotional game. Anything can happen. We could be better than we think. We can win every game we play.

Losing games on purpose is not even allowed in the NFL. Nobody with any respect for the game wants a team to go out and throw the game. It is just wrong.

Sullivan also cheats at golf.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sully predicts the bills can look forward a 4-12 season this year, and seven and nine next year. As a goal.

He said we are more likely to be the worst team in the NFL than make the playoffs.

He also said the best thing for us is to lose as many games as possible to get a higher draft pick.

Sully: "You're a fan. Set your goals high. But understand that the best thing for this franchise is to get a high draft pick in a year where there might be several franchise QBs available."

Me: "I have more pride than to hope the bills lose to get a higher draft pick. If you think that, I dont believe you respect the game of football at all."

Sully: I'm not asking you to hope they lose. You obviously don't grasp the fine points of the argument. Sorry for not "respecting" your favorite game. You can't even present a literate screen name. Get out of here, you cretin.

He than banned me.

he soulds like a POS. a big one.

He than banned me.

Somehow I would think getting banned by Sullivan would be a badge of honor!

Dude sounds like a jerk. I don't hope the Bills lose any games. I'm tired of rooting and living and dying every Sunday for the laughingstock of the league.

At this point I'm definitely thinking we'll win maybe 4 games, but I'm getting more optimistic each time I see something from camp. I dunno.

He than banned me.

Neither are words I would associate with Sullivan. Maybe next time you can type in "whiney" font to make him feel more at ease. His response to you could have come straight from one of his blind and worthless columns, as I see 'em. He is the epitome of a douchebag.

He then banned me.

I'm not a Sullivan fan, and "we should lose to get a high draft pick" smacks of the old "winning hurts the franchise" argument from someone here (DeLuca, I think).

...but he certainly had you pegged from the start. :thumbsup:

He then banned me.

We may only deserve to win a five games. But if we work hard, stick together, and with the fans and the weather on our side, we can pull out a few more. Football is an emotional game. Anything can happen. We could be better than we think. We can win every game we play.

:thumbsup:

Rock on Sully!

Sullivan has balls calling out the Bills for having a loser's mentality, then he suggests they tank games for a draft pick. If you have good scouting you don't need a high daft pick to find players. The Bills will be better served learning how to win now than act like they're doing everyone a favor by losing.

Sorry John, but this is what I hate about Sully.

PTR

Yup...I agree...I'm rooting for a high draft pick and a potential franchise qb. It's obvious this team isn't anywhere close to being a playoff team and the difference between 7-9 and 5-10 in terms of building a team is negligible. It can't be any worse than what we've had the last ten years. I want this flux between 5-11 and 9-7 to stop.

Sullivan has balls calling out the Bills for having a loser's mentality, then he suggests they tank games for a draft pick. If you have good scouting you don't need a high daft pick to find players. The Bills will be better served learning how to win now than act like they're doing everyone a favor by losing.

Sorry John, but this is what I hate about Sully.

PTR

Not to mention that if you like a guy that much, you can acquire the pick to get him (everybody has their price).

As a fan, I cheer for the Bills to win. I really don't take into consideration their record and where they land in the upcoming draft. Perhaps, I am being a little "closed minded" because there is validity to what Sully said. I have a difficult time agreeing with it but I understand it. I myself find it very difficult to encourage my team to lose. Long term, maybe it is best to try to get the best draft pick. One might ask? What's the difference between 2-14 or 4-12. Both are really horrendous seasons. However, the 2-14 might be able to land the top QB in the next draft and the 4-12 team might not have that chance.

What do you guys think?

Why does everyone think the Bills are going to be worse than last year? They have the same QBs, Same line(although now more experienced), some new talent on defense, strong secondary, strong runningbacks and a new head coach who is clearly lightyears better than dickie jauron. So why does this all add up to the team taking a step backwards from 6-10? Because they cut underperforming TO? please. they split with the jets and the dolphins last year and actually came really close to beating the patriots. all with the worst coach in the league...

As a fan, I cheer for the Bills to win. I really don't take into consideration their record and where they land in the upcoming draft. Perhaps, I am being a little "closed minded" because there is validity to what Sully said. I have a difficult time agreeing with it but I understand it. I myself find it very difficult to encourage my team to lose. Long term, maybe it is best to try to get the best draft pick. One might ask? What's the difference between 2-14 or 4-12. Both are really horrendous seasons. However, the 2-14 might be able to land the top QB in the next draft and the 4-12 team might not have that chance.

What do you guys think?

You can also get a high draft pick by trading up if we really need to be in the top 5 to get a qb. actually Sully's argument is stupid, the fact that there is supposedly a lot of QB depth in the next draft means we DON'T have to have a top pick to get a great QB...

Why does everyone think the Bills are going to be worse than last year? They have the same QBs, Same line(although now more experienced), some new talent on defense, strong secondary, strong runningbacks and a new head coach who is clearly lightyears better than dickie jauron. So why does this all add up to the team taking a step backwards from 6-10? Because they cut underperforming TO? please. they split with the jets and the dolphins last year and actually came really close to beating the patriots. all with the worst coach in the league...

Right on! :thumbsup:

He then banned me.

Sullivan also cheats at golf.

He's a straight fool. I don't believe he played a down of anything to make the statement he did. Losing is NEVER a remedy for a competitor. What if they lose games and their "franchise" QB turns out to be Ryan Leaf? Or Tim Couch? Or Jamarcus Russell. I'm tired of all these media folks and "fans" talking slick. The games are played in September and the results have yet to be determined. I expect the Bills to win just like I do every year, and damn it, everybody in that organization better be expecting the same thing.

On paper they don't have the talent of other teams in the division, but the game is played on the field and there are plenty of young players with an opportunity to make their name. That's what I expect to happen and that can lead to wins.

nothing has spawned more heated debate in the history of sports forums than this question right here

it all boils down to fans getting confused regarding their role and how it relates to the team

in short:

- coaches have to coach every game trying as hard as they can to win every time no matter what

- players have to prepare every game like its the superbowl of superbowls no matter what

- fans can do whatever the hell they want cuz it has absolutely no bearing on the coaches, the players, or the outcome of the game

thus i will do what i have done every season for decades: root for the bills to win until they are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention and then hope they lose

so sometime shortly after game eight or nine i suspect my motto for the remainder of the season will be: just lose baby