Our D might be nasty?

eball

Fair enough but I think we have way more talent than KC on defense.

Agreed..If this defense can stop the run and finish in the middle of the pack, we will be much better. My concern is still the talent on the front seven...We really need a rock to man that Nose tackle position, someone that we don't have yet...I hope Troup can go on to become even half of a Mt. (Ted) Washington or Pat Williams.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed..If this defense can stop the run and finish in the middle of the pack, we will be much better. My concern is still the talent on the front seven...We really need a rock to man that Nose tackle position, someone that we don't have yet...I hope Troup can go on to become even half of a Mt. (Ted) Washington or Pat Williams.

So far Troup and Williams are looking good. That's saying a lot because the interior of our offensive line is certainly no weakness. Both of these guys are 300 pounders that can take on 2 gaps. The thing I like about them, is that they can penetrate offensive lines and disrupt plays because they are not so big that their only strength is to be an immovable object. They have the ability to attack. And the beauty is that there are 2 of them and can rotate and stay fresh. These guys are will be fine. As for the rest of the front......???? I think that the edges are a concern because while they look great against our offensive line so far, that really isn't saying much. We will have to see how guys like Stroud and Edwards do and our outside linebackers do against opposing teams. All in all, my overall outlook is pretty optimistic. The D is looking great.

So far Troup and Williams are looking good. That's saying a lot because the interior of our offensive line is certainly no weakness. Both of these guys are 300 pounders that can take on 2 gaps. The thing I like about them, is that they can penetrate offensive lines and disrupt plays because they are not so big that their only strength is to be an immovable object. They have the ability to attack. And the beauty is that there are 2 of them and can rotate and stay fresh. These guys are will be fine. As for the rest of the front......???? I think that the edges are a concern because while they look great against our offensive line so far, that really isn't saying much. We will have to see how guys like Stroud and Edwards do and our outside linebackers do against opposing teams. All in all, my overall outlook is pretty optimistic. The D is looking great.

Edwards is a known commodity. He is essentially stepping into a very similar role to the one he played in Baltimore.

Here is his scouting report:

Grade 75

Expert's Take Edwards had his most productive season of his six-year career for the Ravens' defense. He is a high-effort player who can contribute to the Ravens' multiple fronts as an interior lineman as well as defensive end. While he isn't powerful enough at the point to handle the nose, he is very resilient and battles to the whistle. He is a good athlete who fits best as an end in Baltimore's 3-4 defensive schemes. Edwards has improved his hand usage at the point of attack shedding blockers better than in previous seasons. Edwards continues to struggle as a pass-rusher and needs to continue to develop more creative moves and counters to contribute in this area. Edwards has made marked improvements over the past two seasons and has been a consistent performer for the Ravens.

70-79: Good Starter

Solid starter who is close to being an outstanding player. ... Has few weaknesses and usually will win his individual matchup but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the league.

We have at least one proven starter on our defensive line.

Yes, I know, they're only playing against our anemic offense right now, but even the most pessimistic fan has to be pleasantly surprised by reports of how this D is coming together this early in camp.

Could it be that we really DO have the players and talent for the front seven in the 3-4, and one of the best secondaries in football?

Nasty defense, strong running game...these sound like the ingredients for a successful team in WNY.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that we lost four SuperBowls playing the 3-4.

I'm just sayin'.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that we lost four SuperBowls playing the 3-4.

I'm just sayin'.

Because of the lack of a true NT in Jeff Wright. IF the Bills had Ted Washington during that period....

If we are going off history, there is a good chance our defense will be much better. Here is a good read on it:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...=115847&hl=

Nice find Fingon...I had missed that thread.

I was thinking even 2 out of 3 teams being successful switching to the 3-4 would show those

posters who say most teams switching in the first year do not improve or it takes 2-3 years

wrong, but 10 out of 12 shows that switching the D to a 3-4 should not be an excuse for anyone

anymore as to why the Bills (in their words) are going to suck this year.

i think there's legitimate reason for optimism about the defense. Our secondary is second to no ones and I feel that since we're going to be ditching the cover 2 zone bull **** this is gonna let poz and mitchell and everyone attack more. Should help with the run, and should help pressuring the quarterback. Basically on any given play there's 4 holes where a blitz could come. This makes the offense have to react to it rather than a 4-3 which really only has 2 or 3 holes depending on where the safeties line up.

That's where you and I differ. Why not attack the statement and not the person? Ever think of that? Instead, your reply always has to reference a troll. The troll comments are not very productive. Very immature and shallow but I suppose it will go right over your head?

I was just reading a Stieg Larrson novel in which his protagonist noted that another character was "richer than a troll." Who knew trolls were the standard for wealth in Sweden? So stand up proudly, all you trolls.

Yes, I know, they're only playing against our anemic offense right now, but even the most pessimistic fan has to be pleasantly surprised by reports of how this D is coming together this early in camp.

Could it be that we really DO have the players and talent for the front seven in the 3-4, and one of the best secondaries in football?

Nasty defense, strong running game...these sound like the ingredients for a successful team in WNY.

Somebody save this post for week 16 and then look back on it and see how ridiculous it really is!

YIKES!

It looks like our defense might be pretty good this year. We have the best secondary in the NFL. We signed two veteran 3-4 players, taking one of Baltimore's starting DEs. The secondary will give our pass rushers longer to get to the QB and collapse the pocket. Not to mention that if Kyle Williams and Troup keep playing up to their training camp levels, combined with Stroud and Edwards being stout against the run (Carrington also performing well in practice), our rush defense looks to be much better.

The quality and depth of the players in our secondary will also give George Edwards the ability to blitz more often, and that should help with pressuring the QB. Maybin seems like he can be at least be an effective 3rd down rusher.

Also, teams historically do better against the run in their first year of the transition to the 3-4 defense. It doesn't seem, barring injury, that our run defense won't be much better against the run. This does translate into a nasty defense. If our run defense was top 10 we would be elite.

It looks like our defense might be pretty good this year. We have the best secondary in the NFL. We signed two veteran 3-4 players, taking one of Baltimore's starting DEs. The secondary will give our pass rushers longer to get to the QB and collapse the pocket. Not to mention that if Kyle Williams and Troup keep playing up to their training camp levels, combined with Stroud and Edwards being stout against the run (Carrington also performing well in practice), our rush defense looks to be much better.

The quality and depth of the players in our secondary will also give George Edwards the ability to blitz more often, and that should help with pressuring the QB. Maybin seems like he can be at least be an effective 3rd down rusher.

Also, teams historically do better against the run in their first year of the transition to the 3-4 defense. It doesn't seem, barring injury, that our run defense won't be much better against the run. This does translate into a nasty defense. If our run defense was top 10 we would be elite.

I hear a lot of good things about this guy. He looks to be the total package: Big, strong, fast, and from all accounts appears to be a high character guy. I'm hoping he can help with the pass rush, which seems on the surface to be the only real ? at this point.

Don't worry eball. When the Bills win a couple of games, Billlsvet will crawl back under his rock and won't be heard from. His only goal in posting here appears to be to piss on every last little shred of optimism that other fans might express.

I've never had to run away when the Bills play well, because they haven't in quite some time. You've accused me of going underground before when Buffalo signed Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis. It wasn't true then, and I'll be here if the Bills are successful in 2010. But go on making things up.

Optimism for optimism's sake is worthless. Give me the real picture or don't give me anything at all. Frankly, I'm encouraged by a few things, but 2010 will be a rebuilding year. If more fans studied the league and how it works, they'd understand that Buffalo's method remains in stark contrast to the successful teams.

I've never had to run away when the Bills play well, because they haven't in quite some time. You've accused me of going underground before when Buffalo signed Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis. It wasn't true then, and I'll be here if the Bills are successful in 2010. But go on making things up.

Optimism for optimism's sake is worthless. Give me the real picture or don't give me anything at all. Frankly, I'm encouraged by a few things, but 2010 will be a rebuilding year. If more fans studied the league and how it works, they'd understand that Buffalo's method remains in stark contrast to the successful teams.

Fantastic way of putting things in the correct perspective. Very well said sir. I agree with you 100%.

This is where you lose all credibility. You dismiss a post suggesting -- repeat, SUGGESTING, not guaranteeing or offering the proposition up as fact -- our defense might actually be a strength, based upon firsthand camp reports and an analysis of the roster, "optimism for optimism's sake." That's b.s., and you know it. I won't bother trying to explain it further.

There are two major glaring hole in the D. The first that I can't believe that I haven't heard is the Depth at LB. If Poz or Davis goes down, who fills in? This is hardly a far fetched scenerio seeing that Poz has missed a few games in his career and now that he loses a D lineman in front of him he's going to have to be more of a plugger which isn't his forte.

The second problem is the OLB position. As an OLB in a 3-4, there has to be some athleticism and fluidity to your game. The great ones are cat quick, powerful and versatile. Ware, Harrison, Merriman (before the injury) Dummerville and Woodley are all converted DE's from college who played with the athleticisim of LB's thoughout their careers. Kelsay has never been fast/quick and now he's asked to play in space? I would say Ellis falls under the category as Kelsay does and has shown absolutely nothing to this point in his career. Although I think Maybin will bust, he deserves a shot but how long will his leash be once he's exposed? Torbor is nothing but a roster filler and will contribute next to nothing on he field whether he starts or not. The rest of the OLB's are roster fillers.

Undoubtedly the secondary is impressive and the front 3 has depth and potential. But the lack of outside pass rush WILL hurt this team during key spots of games just like it did last year. This team can't bring 5-6 guys every play because they'll get burnt to often.

Lastly, there are to many players playing positions that they've never played before and it's going to take a while. There is some potential here but for those who are expecting a top 10 D, tell me you aren't shaking in your boots when the BB's travel to Green Bay for week 2....?

Pessimism for pessimism's sake is worthless. If more fans studied the league and how it works, they'd understand that there is no such thing as a perfect method. Every team does it different but none have a sure fire way of doing things.

This is where you lose all credibility. You dismiss a post suggesting -- repeat, SUGGESTING, not guaranteeing or offering the proposition up as fact -- our defense might actually be a strength, based upon firsthand camp reports and an analysis of the [/b]roster, "optimism for optimism's sake." That's b.s., and you know it. I won't bother trying to explain it further.

Depends how you see things. Firstly, reports out of camp have to be taken with a grain of salt. Everything is watered down and our defense is lining up against one of the worst offenses in the league. Secondly, when I look at our roster I am not impressed. I see a lot of what ifs and potential. I don't see many solid proven players. As a result, I don't thing his statement is that far off. Depends how you see things, but to say he loses credibility IMHO is not correct.