ESPN Text Alert - Schobel cut w/link

boyst

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His 2010 salary was guaranteed. If he showed-up, the Bills would have owed him $8M.

Link?

My understanding is that contracts are guaranteed for Veterans if they're on the team on opening day, but not before that. Also his salary was just over $6 mil. He forfeited his $2 mil bonus by not showing up in the offseason for his physical.

Only if he was on the roster at the start of the season.

According to Shefter, if he showed up and passed his physical, Bills owed him the $2M bonus. If they failed him, they owed him $6m as the salary portion was guaranteed agaisnt injury. So at the very least, Bills were on the hook for $2M if he showed up

9 year veteran with 78 sacks has been released from the team...

I do not know what to this! Schobel Released per ESPN

"If he chooses to retire, he will do so as a Buffalo Bill. But this move allows him the opportunity to play somewhere else if so chooses and we felt that was a fair thing to do for a guy who has played hard for us the past nine seasons," Bills general manager Buddy Nix

Schobel told The AP on Monday that if he did play this season, it would be his last in the NFL.

versus...

However, Schobel's agent, Jeff Nalley, told ESPN that Schobel intends to play in 2010.

What a nice man Buddy Nix is and Ralph too! to Help out Houston like that and save the Schobels happy home.

The last time the Bills were so generous they sent Darryl Lamonica to Oakland for three losers so that Oakland could win a Superbowl and save the AFC. Choke me with a spoon please.

I think this thread is absurd. Schobel is one of a very small group of Bills that has worked his ass off for the Bills for 9 years. The guy has done only good things and is at the end of a career. He wants at least a year on a team that's got a shot. I'm sure he didn't spend his life playing football to not sniff the playoffs for a decade.

Let him go have a chance at some success before he hangs it up. He's a great player that never had a chance to enjoy success. His contract makes him virtually unreadable...and what, the Bills are going to grasp at a 6th rounder or something?

Good for the Bills for letting him go. He's a rare bright spot in the last 10 years when the team really needed one.

They make a lot of stupid decisions, but letting a solid trouble free player pursue some level of success after years of hard work is ok in my book. I'd expect my employer to do the same.

Only if he was on the roster at the start of the season.

Link?

My understanding is that contracts are guaranteed for Veterans if they're on the team on opening day, but not before that. Also his salary was just over $6 mil. He forfeited his $2 mil bonus by not showing up in the offseason for his physical.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Schobel signed a new seven-year, $50.5 million deal that includes $21 million worth of guaranteed money. Schobel’s full base salaries from 2007-'09 are now guaranteed, as is $6 million in base salary in 2010.

What a nice man Buddy Nix is and Ralph too! to Help out Houston like that and save the Schobels happy home.

The last time the Bills were so generous they sent Darryl Lamonica to Oakland for three losers so that Oakland could win a Superbowl and save the AFC. Choke me with a spoon please.

Lamonica never played for a Super Bowl winner.

I think this thread is absurd. Schobel is one of a very small group of Bills that has worked his ass off for the Bills for 9 years. The guy has done only good things and is at the end of a career. He wants at least a year on a team that's got a shot. I'm sure he didn't spend his life playing football to not sniff the playoffs for a decade.

Let him go have a chance at some success before he hangs it up. He's a great player that never had a chance to enjoy success. His contract makes him virtually unreadable...and what, the Bills are going to grasp at a 6th rounder or something?

Good for the Bills for letting him go. He's a rare bright spot in the last 10 years when the team really needed one.

They make a lot of stupid decisions, but letting a solid trouble free player pursue some level of success after years of hard work is ok in my book. I'd expect my employer to do the same.

+1

Hooray! Let's be the nicest team in the league and let all of our talented players walk. :doh:

Yeah, because thats what we did right? Geezus, this isnt Madden, you cant trade players to teams who dont want to trade you for them. What is so complicated for you and the other posters with their panties in a wad over this to understand? There was no market for a guy who isnt sure he wants to play, PUBLICY stated he lost a step and cant do the things he used to, PUBLICLY stated he doesnt practice hard or train hard, and makes $8 million a year...oh, and theres that little pesky thing where he wants to fly home after each game and not come back to the team he would be playing for until Wed...

Read this if you want more insight to why you are crying about nothing...the Bills not only did the right thing for him, but did the right thing for the team.

Link to a does of reality about the situation

Yeah, because thats what we did right? Geezus, this isnt Madden, you cant trade players to teams who dont want to trade you for them. What is so complicated for you and the other posters with their panties in a wad over this to understand? There was no market for a guy who isnt sure he wants to play, PUBLICY stated he lost a step and cant do the things he used to, PUBLICLY stated he doesnt practice hard or train hard, and makes $8 million a year...oh, and theres that little pesky thing where he wants to fly home after each game and not come back to the team he would be playing for until Wed...

Read this if you want more insight to why you are crying about nothing...the Bills not only did the right thing for him, but did the right thing for the team.

:doh: Are you seriously citing a Chris Brown article to bolster your argument??? :lol: You do realize that Brown is nothing but a shill for the organization right? We just handed the Texans our most productive DE on the roster. Not a good move no matter how you spin it.

Hooray! Let's be the nicest team in the league and let all of our talented players walk. :doh:

If they don't want to be here, you're right. Show 'em the door. AS is talented but his heart wasn't in it to be in Buffalo. That being the case, if I were a new coach trying to get young players to buy into my philosophy, I wouldn't want him regardless of his talent. Releasing Schobel says A TON to the players fighting for spots.

Please don't act like the Schobel situation isn't unique. The Bills did the right thing by AS and the team. A win/win for everybody. For reasons already alluded to elsewhere. It's not like there is a mass mutiny on their hands.

GO BILLS!!!

:doh: Are you seriously citing a Chris Brown article to bolster your argument??? :lol: You do realize that Brown is nothing but a shill for the organization right? We just handed the Texans our most productive DE on the roster. Not a good move no matter how you spin it.

No, we didn't hand the Texans our most productive DE. We handed them our soon to be 33 year old OLB who never played the position.

GO BILLS!!!

No, we didn't hand the Texans our most productive DE. We handed them our soon to be 33 year old OLB who never played the position.

GO BILLS!!!

No other Bill comes close to his sacks, you can find a spot on the field for him regardless of the scheme!

No other Bill comes close to his sacks, you can find a spot on the field for him regardless of the scheme!

I agree. He'll be a great DE for somebody. But his days as a DE were over with us. And while we would have been more than happy to have him at OLB (and the Bills REALLY did want him), it became obvious, after his stated intention of needing a couple more weeks, that the Bills needed to cut bait. And it was good that they gave him a chance to catch on with another team before too much camp time was gone. It was the right move all the way around.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree. He'll be a great DE for somebody. But his days as a DE were over with us. And while we would have been more than happy to have him at OLB (and the Bills REALLY did want him), it became obvious, after his stated intention of needing a couple more weeks, that the Bills needed to cut bait. And it was good that they gave him a chance to catch on with another team before too much camp time was gone. It was the right move all the way around.

GO BILLS!!!

Well it's done now. On the bright side, I guess this means more snaps for Maybin. :doh:

Well it's done now. On the bright side, I guess this means more snaps for Maybin. :doh:

+1

Although the thought of Maybin trying to replace a great player like AS, well... Hopefully, he pans out.

How's that for understated elegance.

GO BILLS!!!

Right on! If he signed w/Jets or Miami or Pats, I'd be upset. But Sch wont and so I deal with it. Its right cause he'll make it right! Or we'll burn his lawn like Leodis. Maybin needs his shot too!

Go Bills!