Sabres waive Tim Kennedy - great PR move!

bbb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you waive a hometown kid who came to play during the playoffs over a relative pittance?!?

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2010/0...edy-waived.html

This comes apparently over $200K!!! Sabres offered $800K, the arbitrator ruled $1M. And it was the Sabres idea to take him to arbitration. Fuggin' insane!

PTR

How can you waive a hometown kid who came to play during the playoffs over a relative pittance?!?

You can waive because he simply isn't a very good hockey player. I hope it was about that, and not the arbitration money, but obviously I could very well be wrong. Either way though, I'm not losing sleep over it at all. Insert any other player in the system into his spot and do you really think you're going to lose tangible production? Good kid, hard worker, but not a full-time NHL player IMO.

You can waive because he simply isn't a very good hockey player. I hope it was about that, and not the arbitration money, but obviously I could very well be wrong. Either way though, I'm not losing sleep over it at all. Insert any other player in the system into his spot and do you really think you're going to lose tangible production? Good kid, hard worker, but not a full-time NHL player IMO.

If it wasn't about the money, why would the Sabres have bothered to go to arbitration with him? They could have just let him go, before the deadline... they liked him enough to wait for arbitration, and then dump him over $200 thousand?

I agree, this isn't really a major move, but it does give some interesting insight into how the franchise operates.

This comes apparently over $200K!!! Sabres offered $800K, the arbitrator ruled $1M. And it was the Sabres idea to take him to arbitration. Fuggin' insane!

PTR

Exhibit A: Blackhawks lost money last year, so they say.

200 there, 200 here... I am glad everybody is like a drunken sailor on shore leave... What is up with these arbs anyway... The 'Hawks just lost their SC winning goaltender the same way.

Yeah... They want to make money not LOSE it.

:lol::):lol:

So, they believed in Tim Kennedy, enough to try to re-sign him, and have it go to arbitration, and then, let him go over a measley $200,000? It is just kind of stupid...and makes it sound like they really don't know what they are doing, IMO.

Personally, I wouldn't have been upset if they had just let Kennedy walk, and never try to re-sign him. But why go through all that, for this result? It doesn't make a lot of sense.

So, they believed in Tim Kennedy, enough to try to re-sign him, and have it go to arbitration, and then, let him go over a measley $200,000? It is just kind of stupid...and makes it sound like they really don't know what they are doing, IMO.

Personally, I wouldn't have been upset if they had just let Kennedy walk, and never try to re-sign him. But why go through all that, for this result? It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Exactly - they would have looked much better if they just let him walk............You do this to someone else, it's no big deal.............You look like you just got rid of a hometown kid because you didn't want to pay what the arb. thinks you should, you look cheap.

Maybe they are totally misjudging what the arbitrators are going to rule? The arbitrators do seem to be going high.

If it wasn't about the money, why would the Sabres have bothered to go to arbitration with him? They could have just let him go, before the deadline... they liked him enough to wait for arbitration, and then dump him over $200 thousand?

I agree, this isn't really a major move, but it does give some interesting insight into how the franchise operates.

I agree that it probably was about money, that's why I said that I obviously could be wrong in hoping that it's not. Overall, it's a fine hockey move, but it brings up questions about the way the organization is run internally, as usual. My guess is that Quinn/Golisano are to blame for strange money moves such as this, if that's what this is, more than Regier.

PTR

The Sabres didn't take him to arbitration. Kennedy elected to go that route. Kaleta was the one Buffalo took to arbitration, but he agreed on a deal before it went that far. The Sabres had no choice in the matter, once Kennedy chose to do so, they were locked in. They couldn't walk away from the deal either because the CBA doesn't allow a team to walk away from a deal that low.

That said, this is a very strange move and there has to be more to it than we'll ever hear. I'm guessing that during the process, Kennedy pissed them off a bit.

The Sabres didn't take him to arbitration. Kennedy elected to go that route. Kaleta was the one Buffalo took to arbitration, but he agreed on a deal before it went that far. The Sabres had no choice in the matter, once Kennedy chose to do so, they were locked in. They couldn't walk away from the deal either because the CBA doesn't allow a team to walk away from a deal that low.

That said, this is a very strange move and there has to be more to it than we'll ever hear. I'm guessing that during the process, Kennedy pissed them off a bit.

But, they could have just let him go, as a free agent, before the deadline passed. Maybe they figured they could get him to agree to an $800,000 deal, before it went to arbitration? That is all I can figure. So, they are going to buy him out, from all I am hearing, and have to pay him at least a third of the arbitrated salary, to not play. If they liked him enough to keep him around this long, why not keep him, for a year, get to see some of that potential pan out, and then, decide if his worth keeping around. It seems like poor business to me.

I agree with the majority of posters...Just seems to be more of the same from a joker front office...It's more about the handling of the situation rather than the player. Kennedy was a smallish, inconsistent forward with flashes of promise. The Sabres have been, and are currently, loaded with those players. But he was a local kid who had some grit (which they say they've been missing) and elevated his game during the postseason, when other more prominent forwards were looking over their shoulder to avoid the next hit. I was at one game in Tampa early in the season when Kennedy was easily the best Sabre on the ice.

I liked Kennedy, but I don't think his absence is anything that would cost the Sabres a chance at another division title. It's just disappointing that they can't shake this rinky dink M.O. in the front office.

He made $650K last year, and the Sabres reportedly offered him $800K for this year. Kennedy wanted about $1.5M. The arbitrator ruled (very fairly, by all comparisons) that Kennedy was due $1 million this year. So Buffalo waits four days, and then waives him, which if he clears waivers, they will have to pay him $333K to buy out his contract. In what universe does that make sense??? Add that Buffalo is currently about $9 million under the projected salary cap.

It's worrisome to watch the same clowns who wasted Hasek's MVP prime with the 1-2 punch of Brian Holzinger and Derek Plante handle a roster with another world class goalie as the foundation. It would be a shame to waste that type of talent again.

You'd like to think they know something about Kennedy that we don't....But then like Buftex said, why would they even offer him a deal for $800K in the first place? Just let him walk.

For Exiled in Illinois...When an independent audit tells me the Blackhawks lost money last season, I will believe it. When their executive accountant and team president tell me they lost money, I will assume it's the same money that my business "lost" last year. :lol: There's very legal ways to report/distort/declare income, especially in a venture that large.

I still think Kennedy will be a Sabres next season, no one will pick him up that kind of contract for a 30'ish point player. He has to clear waivers for the arbitration ruling to be void and then they will work to sign him. But this is the reason you don't let anyone go to arbitration, it's a joke. Chicago just cut their Stanley Cup winning goalie because of it...