The Auto Bailout

No, no, I love the Volt. All 27 of them.

My issue wasn't with the Volt, but what it represented in the way the president and media were/are trying to push the idea that the only way to save the auto industry and ourselves from oil dependency was to take it over and hand a large chunk of it to the unions while paying for it with taxpayer dollars.

Now add in the fact that they in order to justify the laundering of taxpayer funds to WH friends/unions, they have them make a car that no one wants, and then take a photo of the president driving one a whole three feet while trying to convince us all is well.

I didn't realize there were 27 of them. I was just wondering what your opinion on it was, as a good friend of mine got one a few months ago and loves it- only filled it up once so far.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize there were 27 of them. I was just wondering what your opinion on it was, as a good friend of mine got one a few months ago and loves it- only filled it up once so far.

How many times has he gotten laid?

$10,000 (estimated overcharge for a volt - tax refund over a comparable 5 seat Accord/Camry) @ $3.5/gal = 2857 gallons of gas.

2857gal / 15gal/tank (estimated sedan tank size) = ~190 tanks

10 days/tank * 190 tanks = 1900 days

1900 days / 365 days/year = 5+ years

So congrats to him on the volt and prepaying for 5+ years worth of gas.

So now instead of saving him money it only costs him

8 fill ups a year(~every 6 weeks) * 5 years * 15 gals * $3.5 = $2100 more in fuel costs than someone with a normal car.

$10,000 (estimated overcharge for a volt - tax refund over a comparable 5 seat Accord/Camry) @ $3.5/gal = 2857 gallons of gas.

2857gal / 15gal/tank (estimated sedan tank size) = ~190 tanks

10 days/tank * 190 tanks = 1900 days

1900 days / 365 days/year = 5+ years

So congrats to him on the volt and prepaying for 5+ years worth of gas.

So now instead of saving him money it only costs him

8 fill ups a year(~every 6 weeks) * 5 years * 15 gals * $3.5 = $2100 more in fuel costs than someone with a normal car.

But....But...But...

Do you want to be part of the solution or are you part of the problem! :rolleyes:

That one ranks up there with "Well you just don't get it"

Obama: "I invested in the auto industry..." etc.

No, assclown. We made the investment. You are just the broker that sold us your investment, and collectively, we were dumb enough to buy into it, and you.

Now, the real investors, us, are gonna lose X Billions on this....Hmm...what should we do with a broker like that? Especially since he has a track record of bringing us exactly 0 worthy "investments"?

How many more "investments" like this can we make? It's not enough just to get rid of this broker....we need to make sure we never hire another one like him ever again.

When people who don't know what they're doing are put in charge of money they never earned...

http://news.investor...ion-dollars.htm

On the day Government Motors, aka GM, announced it was recalling at least 38,000 of its vehicles — Impalas used by police nationwide and in Canada — due to a crash risk, a new Treasury report said it now expects to lose $25 billion on the bailout, $3.3 billion more than forecast earlier.

As the Detroit News reported, this loss was based on GM's stock price at the time of the report, which was 15% higher than the previous report. Because the stock price has fallen since then, the latest report likely understates taxpayers' real losses.

The monthly report sent to Congress last Friday covers predicted losses through May 31, when GM's stock price was $22.20 a share.

On Tuesday, GM fell $0.26, or 1.3%, to $20.21.

At that price, the government would lose another $995 million on its GM bailout. The report notes the government still has 500 million shares of GM and needs to sell those shares at $53 each for the government to break even on the bailout.

What? GM is going down the tubes again? No way, Obama saved it, right?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/louiswoodhill/2012/08/15/general-motors-is-headed-for-bankruptcy-again/

President Obama is proud of his bailout of General Motors. That’s good, because, if he wins a second term, he is probably going to have to bail GM out again. The company is once again losing market share, and it seems unable to develop products that are truly competitive in the U.S. market.

Right now, the federal government owns 500,000,000 shares of GM, or about 26% of the company. It would need to get about $53.00/share for these to break even on the bailout, but the stock closed at only $20.21/share on Tuesday. This left the government holding $10.1 billion worth of stock, and sitting on an unrealized loss of $16.4 billion.

What? GM is going down the tubes again? No way, Obama saved it, right?

http://www.forbes.co...nkruptcy-again/

That is a pretty retarded article.

Which nonetheless illustrates an important point: the lack of accountability in a government-mandated bailout vs. a court-managed bankruptcy hardly motivates a company to improve. Doubly so if the bailout isn't of the company as much as it is the UAW.

Next up, the Government Motors mandate. Because government can tax you/regulate interstate commerce. :rolleyes:

You won't have to buy a Government Motors vehicle but there will be a $10,000 new car tax. Purchasing GM cars will qualify for a $10,000 tax credit

You won't have to buy a Government Motors vehicle but there will be a $10,000 new car tax. Purchasing GM cars will qualify for a $10,000 tax credit

Yes, the 2nd term of BO will be epic. There will be no stopping him as he runs the country by dictate.

His government is desperate for cash. There's a ton of cash in our 401ks, IRAs, and pension funds.

They've already posited confiscating that in a swap for - government bonds. Here. Let me take your cash - which you're not using right now anyway, and I'll give you a bond - guaranteed by the gubmint - with a fixed interest rate... It's coming. You know it's coming.

Yes, the 2nd term of BO will be epic. There will be no stopping him as he runs the country by dictate.

His government is desperate for cash. There's a ton of cash in our 401ks, IRAs, and pension funds.

They've already posited confiscating that in a swap for - government bonds. Here. Let me take your cash - which you're not using right now anyway, and I'll give you a bond - guaranteed by the gubmint - with a fixed interest rate... It's coming. You know it's coming.

I don't know if they'll go so far as to raid 401ks.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a push to start taxing Roth IRAs. I remember when I was first striking out on my own and my Dad was talking up about not neglecting retirement planning. He suggested that I start a Roth but I never did. Something in the back of my mind just screamed out, they've got 40 years to find a way to tax it and they will.

I also suspect there will be a push to forgive student loan debt and underwater mortgages. This will drive some smaller banks out of business and the "Too big to fail" banks will eat them up and get even bigger.