Schobel will make his decision in 10 days...

but he won't report in 10 days...

FAVRE STATUS! :blink:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ason-after-all/

Im sorry but at some point the bills do have to draw the line on this -- if hes not in for a full training camp i do worry about our 30+ DE transitioning successfully to OLB.

I know he wants to be close to his family but in the grand scheme, whether he reports in 10 or 15 or 20 days, doesnt make that much of a difference in his families life. Will they remember any different the time spent if its 240 vs 250 days home between the close of the season and his arrival for the next? At some point it is not about family and is about him not wanting to be at camp doing the work.

I know time with the kids is important but so is coming into the season 110% prepared to make a difference when someone commits 8 million dollars to you for what will be amounting to 4 months of work since he didnt take part in the offseason program (and yes i know he still works out in the offseason) -- ESPECIALLY when learning a new system and position. Due to this last part i think that schobels actions are worse then favres, he just isnt the celebrity house hold name getting the attention.

It seems so obvious to me that Schobel wants to play this year but really doesn't want to play in Buffalo - change of position, far from his family, team years away from being decent. I think he knows he has years left on his contract and that the Bills and the fans have been good to him so he doesn't want to outright demand a trade or use retirement as an ultimatum. I think he's probably trying to work with the team behind the scenes to work a trade so everyone comes out a winner, but I don't know if that's going to happen. At some point its got to come to some sort of resolution and it will, I just think at this point he doesn't want to get into an ugly situation....

It seems so obvious to me that Schobel wants to play this year but really doesn't want to play in Buffalo - change of position, far from his family, team years away from being decent. I think he knows he has years left on his contract and that the Bills and the fans have been good to him so he doesn't want to outright demand a trade or use retirement as an ultimatum. I think he's probably trying to work with the team behind the scenes to work a trade so everyone comes out a winner, but I don't know if that's going to happen. At some point its got to come to some sort of resolution and it will, I just think at this point he doesn't want to get into an ugly situation....

He wants to play this year and will play in Buffalo. He just doesn't think he needs a lot of training camp to learn the new defense. I think he is wrong and disingenuous. He wants his fully year salary but he won't give a full year effort as he will not be fully prepared. Frankly, I'd keep him on the team until the day before game 1 and then cut his sorry ass.

Could this be a money/contract ploy? As long as he reports does he have to be paid? And if the Bills don't want to pay him, because he is basically showing up unprepared, would we be forced to release him and then he could sign with whoever he wants?

I'm sorry but this smells.

PTR

I agree with you on much of this and I would add this conjecture - the Bills have said one thing and repeated it over and over: "We think Aaron is a great ballplayer and we want him to play for us but if he wants to retire that is, of course, up to him".

At some point -if you want to talk about the "ugly" - they will begin to fine him if he does not report nor officially retire. They have made it crystal clear that they will not trade him (not to say, of course, that they would not listen to any offers for him). The fact that no trade has been consummated means two things: they have not received any offers they deem worthy to trade him and that offers would be going down (not up) as the season nears since teams already have their roster plans for the season set and are becoming more solidified each passing day. Bottom line is if you want to play and be paid a lot of money, it'll be in Buffalo...otherwise adios.

The latest statements by Schobel, in my opinion, are an indication that he has "blinked first" - thus, I think he will be suiting up for the Bills in the next week or so.

He wants to play this year and will play in Buffalo. He just doesn't think he needs a lot of training camp to learn the new defense. I think he is wrong and disingenuous. He wants his fully year salary but he won't give a full year effort as he will not be fully prepared. Frankly, I'd keep him on the team until the day before game 1 and then cut his sorry ass.

nope --- won't happen. if they did this they would be both paying him his full bonus and freeing him to sign elsewhere.

he will either officially retire or be fined by the Bills and placed on the DNR (did not report) list which frees up the roster spot.

Why can't he just make a decision? hes had all offseason now. if this was a ploy for a trade, he should of just demanded a trade. If not, stick it out another two years, and go sign somewhere to a winning team who needs a pash rusher. teams always need pash rushers. Heck the bills are moving in the right direction, maybe he should just stay here.

If he is committed to the bills this year and next, and shows up late to camp, Im not to worried about his transition. the whole team is in the same boat trying to learn this stuff. Its his job, he will put in the extra time to adjust, cause he knows if he doesnt he won't play.

But he really makes or defense better. With him back, our only question mark on D would be the NT and the other OLB, and we have maybin/troup in those spots.

Could this be a money/contract ploy? As long as he reports does he have to be paid? And if the Bills don't want to pay him, because he is basically showing up unprepared, would we be forced to release him and then he could sign with whoever he wants?

PTR

you are right in a sense - but think of poor Aaron being FORCED to work for $8 million .......poor Aaron

on the other hand, he did have a great season last year and is an asset to the team when he has played. I actually like how management has played this - either come and play or go home and quit but we won't be FORCED to do anything. Your choices are play with us (for the measly salary) or get paid nada and in fact be forced to return some of your bonus. But at least you can stay in Texas and play with your kids on the jungle gym.

poor Aaron

I would argue that Schobel is nothing like Brett - Favre was / is the QB, the KEY guy on the field for the O. It's a lot easier to move on without one DE / OLB than it is your starting QB.

And as for the TC hold-out, I would rather have some Schobel on the Bills, than none!

PTR

Yep.

Nevergiveup was pretty straight forward in his opinion of Schobel, in saying that he isn't really a go-getter. So, this guy is going to switch positions and show up when he is ready? No thanks. Thanks for all you've done Aaron, it was great watching you chase QB's all over for all these years.

Wait...you didn't really do that. Well, thanks for all the sacks. We never would have had the top rated defense or made the playoffs all those...wait...well, thanks for leading the team in sacks for the Era of Futility. It's kind of like being the smartest kid on the short-bus.

Nevergiveup was pretty straight forward in his opinion of Schobel, in saying that he isn't really a go-getter. So, this guy is going to switch positions and show up when he is ready? No thanks. Thanks for all you've done Aaron, it was great watching you chase QB's all over for all these years.

Wait...you didn't really do that. Well, thanks for all the sacks. We never would have had the top rated defense or made the playoffs all those...wait...well, thanks for leading the team in sacks for the Era of Futility. It's kind of like being the smartest kid on the short-bus.

Exactly, i've talked to a organization person who has said the same about aaron. He is not a team guy, really only cares about himself and is always grumpy. Not a guy who will do more than he has to. He is not someone you build a defense around. Just because he doesnt run his mouth in the media doesnt mean he a "class act"

I contend that there really isn't anything changed. Schobel was always going to want to play once the season rolled around. He already told the Bills he wanted to play under certain conditions. They told him no, he has to practice like all the other guys. Now he is saying he wants to play again and he's hoping the Bills give in a little to his day off wishes. They're probably not going to, and then about a week from now he is going to have to crap or get off the pot, and off the pot he will come. Expect him to play and be a very expensive situational pass rusher for half the season. But he will make us better.

IMHO .... he has already made his decision ....

He's going to play, but not do the heavy lifting of OTAs and two a days in training camp. Before last year I'd be all for cutting his sorry a$$ because of not being a team player .... but ...

Sir Farve proved that not only can you skip all of the boring working hard stuff and show up on game day and still maintain your "darling" status with fans, media and teammates.

I think we will begin seeing more and more of this type of behavior around the league "vets".

I don't think it's right .... I don't think it should be allowed to happen ... Just saying Brett has set a president that will eventually snowball and we are seeing the first indication of it in A.S.

Exactly, i've talked to a organization person who has said the same about aaron. He is not a team guy, really only cares about himself and is always grumpy. Not a guy who will do more than he has to. He is not someone you build a defense around. Just because he doesnt run his mouth in the media doesnt mean he a "class act"

That is a faithful description of him. Aaron feels that the rah-rah stuff is stupid, that the coaches are blowhards, and that most of the guys he plays with are wimps. However, he is tough, and plays hard.