The truth about Flutie !!!

My recollection of Flutie was he was done as soon as the rest of the NFL had the book on him. Defenders stopped biting on his "pixie hop" move when he passed and it was all over.

PTR

As I recall, Flutie's arm was dead by the 10th game of the season. Passes with no zip and sailing, ask Thurman how those type of Flutie passes were for the receivers.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flutie, Johnson, Bledsoe and Losman each provided some exciting times, even if the team wasn't good enough to allow them to be consistent. Flutie's bootleg td against Jacksonville, Johnson's scrappy performance in the playodd game, Bledsoe in the snow game against Miami and I particularly remember Losman's last second td pass against Houston.

Flutie, Johnson, Bledsoe and Losman each provided some exciting times, even if the team wasn't good enough to allow them to be consistent. Flutie's bootleg td against Jacksonville, Johnson's scrappy performance in the playodd game, Bledsoe in the snow game against Miami and I particularly remember Losman's last second td pass against Houston.

How about that kansas city game. Johnson, out of all the failed QBs since Kelly, really angers me to this day. In those small glimmers of brightness, the dude was an absolute warrior and really good QB. The rest is a sorry sack of crap, which we can all agree upon. Unfulfilled talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHtoy1778H8

My recollection of Flutie is something like this...

He plays like sh*t for 3 quarters but the defense keeps us in the game. But then Flutie suddenly gets accurate in the 4th quarter and scrambles like a demon, leading the Bills to a last minute TD and a 17-14 victory.

The 4th quarter heroics could never quite make me forget the 3 quarters of abysmal quarterbacking.

To say this another way... I'm still saving my Kelly Krunch but my box of Flutie Flakes was eaten and discarded a long time ago.

LOL!! I still have my Flutie Flakes. Never opened it & would not want to after all this time. Who knows what's growing in there.

Too bad they weren't smart enough to keep Wade.

smart enough? That would've been a stupid move. First he figuratively quit on the Bills by deciding we were out of the playoff hunt when we weren't...then he literally quit the job instead of firing his butt buddy Ronnie Jones...so it wasn't even the Bills' choice for him to leave anyway...he quit and Ralph was right in trying to keep from paying him after that.

Thanks for the laughter :rolleyes:

I've heard the word "gamer" applied to football players all my life. I tried to find the definition of "gamer" but couldn't...so I'll make one up. If anybody wants to tweak it...great. A player who would trade their paycheck for the week & a short hospital stay for the victory. My vivid football QB memories start with Joe Ferguson. Including him, I would say we've had two "gamers" for QB's ...Kelly & Flutie. Even in defeat, you always felt they gave you a chance. They put it all on the line. I wanted to put Phillips in a choke hold for his decision in starting Johnson in the Tenn game. Any coach who benches a gamer & starts a pretty boy in a playoff game deserves to lose...if for no other reason than stupidity.

Including Ferguson there are 2? Yeah, probably right, Fergy and Kelly were the two.

Regarding trading their paycheck...totally false. They went where the money and a chance at fame lead them. Ferguson...maybe you could almost say that about him because he played before the money got outrageous. The other 2 went after the money, then played the game.

Anyone who to this day thinks flutie was anything but a below average QB didn't watch the game.

He is what we thought he was...a too small scrambler with a well below average NFL arm.

Oh thats right...Flutie did what was needed to win the games, and the other 52 players were responsible for the losses.

I don't think I like your tone there. My point was that given the strength and style of the team around him, Flutie played well enough to enable them to win. I thought that was pretty clear. The idea that anyone could step in and win on a team like that was disproven when Rob suck my Johnson lost 2/3 of the games he started with that shut down D.

Hence the similarity to Dilfer who played for a team that was losing with Tony Banks and won out after he took over, despite the fact that he wasn't a guy who put up big stats.

Somebody poured a nice fresh bowl of corn flakes, and rather than let them enjoy it you guys want to urinate in it.

Sorry, Rob's House, there's a lot of Flutiopianism that pissed more than a few people off around here for a LONG time. Now, you may or may not have been around here for it, but *I* was and remember it with a rather sour aftertaste. So you'll excuse me if I debunk some of the bullshyt that from time to time pops up around here.

You mean like 10 completions, 6 sacks and 2 (lost) fumbles and 0 TDs? Or did you mean "sillier".

Maybe silly as in not having the lead when leaving the field of lay and with just 16 seconds left in the game?

I don't think I like your tone there. My point was that given the strength and style of the team around him, Flutie played well enough to enable them to win. I thought that was pretty clear. The idea that anyone could step in and win on a team like that was disproven when Rob suck my Johnson lost 2/3 of the games he started with that shut down D.

Hence the similarity to Dilfer who played for a team that was losing with Tony Banks and won out after he took over, despite the fact that he wasn't a guy who put up big stats.

The D was only "shut down" in 1999. And RJ played in 1 game during the regular season that year, and that infamous playoff game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/422205-...ack-doug-flutie

For those who desire to waste the minute or so it takes to read this less than objective opinion piece. I wonder how long it took the author to get the scent of Flutie's bung out of his nostrils. :w00t:

Well I think everyone has an opinion about this. Bottom line is, this was a major mistake by the Bills. Putting in Rob Johnson, who the week before had an excellent game was a mistake. You could compare it to a baseball team who's veteran pitcher has done pretty well through the regular season and should be starting game one of the divisional playoffs. Instead, a rookie who the last week of the regular season, throws a 2 hit shoutout with 8 to 10 strike outs to all of a sudden, being put in as the game one starter. It just does not make sense.

My recollection of Flutie was he was done as soon as the rest of the NFL had the book on him. Defenders stopped biting on his "pixie hop" move when he passed and it was all over.

PTR

By the time Flutie arrived in Buffalo, he was past his prime. His arm strength clearly declined over the course of his last few years in the NFL. Had Flutie played in the NFL throughout his prime, he probably would be comparable to a Tony Romo or someone of that stature. His "pixie hop" move was a small part of his repertoire, but should serve as a reminder that he could do things that other QBs just couldn't do.