bipartisan support for unpopular agenda

Hookers and booze.

Other end of the spectrum. Like Joe said... It is all perspective. One is simply existing. If one is affluent and has a ton of money and still stressed financially... They are doing something wrong maybe living above their means. Money is sure a simple stress reliever for the poor slep trying to just pay rent and put food on the table. Of course we can split hairs there on what is acceptable living quarters and meals... Let's save that for another debate.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.

My niece is on food stamps. She also has a CrackBerry, with a $75/mo plan.

So don't give me that bull ****.

I agree... That's a problem. Maybe we as a society should lay out means tests on what is acceptable. That's is where I have heartburn with the gov't and foodstamps. You think the gov't wants to make it harder on themselves (gov't)? By making it easier to manage the foodstamps... Makes it easier on the people and more chance of abuse.

On that note... We (both you and I) are still putting a social stigma on this type of aid... By calling them food stamps. Here in Illinois, they call it LINK and it looks like plastic... IMO, that is so wrong!

perspective is indeed key, here. the guy making 50k thinks the guy making 175k has less stress. your points are really valid. however, if the guy making 175k lived within the same means as the guy making 50k, he'd have ZERO to worry about. agree?

If the guy making $175K lived within the same means as the guy making 50K, he'd have zero FINANCIAL issues to worry about. Sure.

Other end of the spectrum. Like Joe said... It is all perspective. One is simply existing. If one is affluent and has a ton of money and still stressed financially... They are doing something wrong maybe living above their means. Money is sure a simple stress reliever for the poor slep trying to just pay rent and put food on the table. Of course we can split hairs there on what is acceptable living quarters and meals... Let's save that for another debate.

I'm not surprised you don't get this but affluent people's income is not generally guaranteed and can fluctuate greatly. And the day to day stress the recieve from how the generate that income can be huge. Ask a professional athlete.

If the guy making $175K lived within the same means as the guy making 50K, he'd have zero FINANCIAL issues to worry about. Sure.

Ya, that's what I'm getting at. Having the extra money resolves a lot of the "material things" stress, but no amount of money can help with the pain of life (death, disease, disaster, etc.)

I'm not surprised you don't get this but affluent people's income is not generally guaranteed and can fluctuate greatly. And the day to day stress the recieve from how the generate that income can be huge. Ask a professional athlete.

I don't see anyone not beating down the door to give it (wealth) a whirl.

Let's dive a little deeper and qualify want we mean by "having money." Personally, I'm not talking about the whole "being set for life, living off interest" wealth, but rather the whole "having an excellent income" money. If you live in Florida making $175K a year, I think that qualifies as "having money." You could foolishly argue that having that kind of income helps you cope with stress, but you could reliably argue just the opposite because that income is simply not guaranteed (unless you work for the federal government). If you are accustomed to living on that amount of income (you have a house, a boat, a dock at the river, some water toys, two kids in private school, a couple of cars, etc), you have to also acknowledge that the income can change at a moment's notice. Hell, all you need to change your income immediately is the unexpected introduction of a new boss.

In the wrong hands (and that's most hands at first), having this kind of money leads a person to actually stressing more about being able to maintain that income and lifestyle.

The only time "a big wad of cash in your pocket" helps someone cope with stress is if that big wad of cash can magically replenish itself as it was being used which, interestingly enough, is how this current administration seems to think it works.

if this guy has all these things on that income, with no inheritance, he's likely in significant debt with little chance of maintaining that lifestyle in retirement..... and he's likely very stressed. I'm not sure objectively he should be considered wealthy at all..if you live above your means, you're relatively poor. even if he lived more frugally, i think he's better categorized as upper middle class. and "a wad of cash" might mean $5+ mil in redeemable, interest bearing assets which is not that uncommon in the top couple percentiles and significantly reduces stress. the poor dying earlier is true. they generally eat more processed, unhealthy, cheap food (and thus are more likely to be obese, diabetic, hyperlipidemic and hypertensive), are more likely to smoke, are more likely to skip meds and preventive care (usually due to cost) and are more likely to die violent deaths. some of this is due to bad choices, some is through no fault of their own, but income is correlated to life expectancy.

Yeah.

My niece is on food stamps. She also has a CrackBerry, with a $75/mo plan.

So don't give me that bull ****.

I agree... That's a problem. Maybe we as a society should lay out means tests on what is acceptable. That's is where I have heartburn with the gov't and foodstamps. You think the gov't wants to make it harder on themselves (gov't)? By making it easier to manage the foodstamps... Makes it easier on the people and more chance of abuse.

On that note... We (both you and I) are still putting a social stigma on this type of aid... By calling them food stamps. Here in Illinois, they call it LINK and it looks like plastic... IMO, that is so wrong!

I see this alot in the Grocery Store. Some 200lb+ woman with a Blackberry in way too tight clotes and way too short shorts with 3 kids wanting to separate her order. Ring up part on her gubmint assistance plastic and her steaks and case of beer with cash

Mailing debit cards and even mailing out checks make it way to easy. Make whoever wants the assistance go down to the office every week/2 weeks/month/whatever and pickup a debit card. You know, actually require some kind of effort by the recipient

And don't make the debit card blend in with other cards so to avoid the shame of being on public assistance. Make the cards bright pink with purple polka dots in the background. On the front of the card print a photo of the recipient and on the back in big bold letters PUBLIC ASSISTANCE with the state seal. So the cahsier, bag boy, and everybody in line knows who is really paying for those groceries and just maybe that little bit of shame will provide enough incentive to take the first step towards providing for themself and their family

Gee, if only you had a wad of cash in your pocket to help you cope with that.

Is that a wad of cash in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? :lol:

I personally think material stress is caused by people who are never satisfied with their "wad".

Stress is when your "wealth" owns you. You will never be secure or have enough.

If a disaster took everything I had -but not my loved ones- I would be really pissed, but I would be OK.

MAN has this strayed from the original topic!

I see this alot in the Grocery Store. Some 200lb+ woman with a Blackberry in way too tight clotes and way too short shorts with 3 kids wanting to separate her order. Ring up part on her gubmint assistance plastic and her steaks and case of beer with cash

Mailing debit cards and even mailing out checks make it way to easy. Make whoever wants the assistance go down to the office every week/2 weeks/month/whatever and pickup a debit card. You know, actually require some kind of effort by the recipient

And don't make the debit card blend in with other cards so to avoid the shame of being on public assistance. Make the cards bright pink with purple polka dots in the background. On the front of the card print a photo of the recipient and on the back in big bold letters PUBLIC ASSISTANCE with the state seal. So the cahsier, bag boy, and everybody in line knows who is really paying for those groceries and just maybe that little bit of shame will provide enough incentive to take the first step towards providing for themself and their family

I understand what you are saying and when I see this I get angry too.

I do not think we should assume that everyone who needs public assistance is a cheater and should be branded. I feel sorry for the genuine unfortunates who are automatically placed in one category.

The problem is that this is supposed to be temporary assistance (insurance), not a career, but there will always be abusers.

I understand what you are saying and when I see this I get angry too.

I do not think we should assume that everyone who needs public assistance is a cheater and should be branded.

Nor do I; bringing up my niece was not meant to suggest that.

Rather, it was meant to illustrate the piss-poor choices some people make. Choosing a cell phone over food? A brand-new off-road truck over rent (which she also did)? Lack of money might be tough...but it's tougher when you're stupid.

Nor do I; bringing up my niece was not meant to suggest that.

Rather, it was meant to illustrate the piss-poor choices some people make. Choosing a cell phone over food? A brand-new off-road truck over rent (which she also did)? Lack of money might be tough...but it's tougher when you're stupid.

Nice avatar, BTW. One of the more under-rated movies of all time.

:lol: