bipartisan support for unpopular agenda

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And one can react to the stress a lot better with a bigger wad of cash in their pocket!

:angry::angry:

One also has access to better health care.

One should also be careful when discussing AVERAGES. My grandparents and great-grandparents weren't rich - all lived well into their 90's (save one that was killed in France in WWII). Conversely, how many "wealthy" people do you hear of dying of heart attacks at a young age, because the stress of being a Type A personality kills them?

Please tell me that you really do. Ralph ain't 92 because he was digging a ditch his whole life.

The only people who ever believe "a bigger wad of cash in their pocket" reduces stress are people who have never had a bigger wad of cash in their pocket.

One also has access to better health care.

One should also be careful when discussing AVERAGES. My grandparents and great-grandparents weren't rich - all lived well into their 90's (save one that was killed in France in WWII). Conversely, how many "wealthy" people do you hear of dying of heart attacks at a young age, because the stress of being a Type A personality kills them?

True. Fair enough. All I am saying is money does help... Or we all wouldn't be making an effort to get/earn (whichever you prefer :angry: ) it and MAKE OUR LIFE EASIER.

Listening LA? :w00t: Or do you need me to make a separte post and address you? :angry:

The only people who ever believe "a bigger wad of cash in their pocket" reduces stress are people who have never had a bigger wad of cash in their pocket.

Sorry.. Had to address your post... :w00t:

True... Money will add a lot of trouble... I still don't see lots of people (including you) taking a vow of poverty.

All I am saying... The bigger the game, the more forgivable the mistake (sometimes)!

Like Tom said, there are always the exceptions to the rules... Money and a "bigger game" do help!

Sorry.. Had to address your post... :w00t:

True... Money will add a lot of trouble... I still don't see lots of people (including you) taking a vow of poverty.

All I am saying... The bigger the game, the more forgivable the mistake (sometimes)!

Like Tom said, there are always the exceptions to the rules... Money and a "bigger game" do help!

Money absolutely can make one's life easier. Reason one why I work so hard for it. But to say it allows you to cope with stress better is a bit silly. It actually causes the stress but gives you access to more things to better cope with it. A vicious circle actually.

Which was my point.

Here's my take: Having money relieves one type of stress: Material Existence stress. When you're loaded you never have to worry about your mortgage, or paying the bills, or buying groceries. What it doesn't relieve is "life sucks" type of stress. Examples: divorce, death, etc.

True. Fair enough. All I am saying is money does help... Or we all wouldn't be making an effort to get/earn (whichever you prefer :angry: ) it and MAKE OUR LIFE EASIER.

Access to health care being equal, money's probably a wash.

And most people don't pursue wealth to make their lives easier. They pursue it to have more toys. Common sense makes life easier, wealth just makes it different.

Here's my take: Having money relieves one type of stress: Material Existence stress. When you're loaded you never have to worry about your mortgage, or paying the bills, or buying groceries. What it doesn't relieve is "life sucks" type of stress. Examples: divorce, death, etc.

Let's dive a little deeper and qualify want we mean by "having money." Personally, I'm not talking about the whole "being set for life, living off interest" wealth, but rather the whole "having an excellent income" money. If you live in Florida making $175K a year, I think that qualifies as "having money." You could foolishly argue that having that kind of income helps you cope with stress, but you could reliably argue just the opposite because that income is simply not guaranteed (unless you work for the federal government). If you are accustomed to living on that amount of income (you have a house, a boat, a dock at the river, some water toys, two kids in private school, a couple of cars, etc), you have to also acknowledge that the income can change at a moment's notice. Hell, all you need to change your income immediately is the unexpected introduction of a new boss.

In the wrong hands (and that's most hands at first), having this kind of money leads a person to actually stressing more about being able to maintain that income and lifestyle.

The only time "a big wad of cash in your pocket" helps someone cope with stress is if that big wad of cash can magically replenish itself as it was being used which, interestingly enough, is how this current administration seems to think it works.

Money absolutely can make one's life easier. Reason one why I work so hard for it. But to say it allows you to cope with stress better is a bit silly. It actually causes the stress but gives you access to more things to better cope with it. A vicious circle actually.

Exactly my point. More access to things to better cope with it it=less stress.

Let's dive a little deeper and qualify want we mean by "having money." Personally, I'm not talking about the whole "being set for life, living off interest" wealth, but rather the whole "having an excellent income" money. If you live in Florida making $175K a year, I think that qualifies as "having money." You could foolishly argue that having that kind of income helps you cope with stress, but you could reliably argue just the opposite because that income is simply not guaranteed (unless you work for the federal government). If you are accustomed to living on that amount of income (you have a house, a boat, a dock at the river, some water toys, two kids in private school, a couple of cars, etc), you have to also acknowledge that the income can change at a moment's notice. Hell, all you need to change your income immediately is the unexpected introduction of a new boss.

In the wrong hands (and that's most hands at first), having this kind of money leads a person to actually stressing more about being able to maintain that income and lifestyle.

The only time "a big wad of cash in your pocket" helps someone cope with stress is if that big wad of cash can magically replenish itself as it was being used which, interestingly enough, is how this current administration seems to think it works.

perspective is indeed key, here. the guy making 50k thinks the guy making 175k has less stress. your points are really valid. however, if the guy making 175k lived within the same means as the guy making 50k, he'd have ZERO to worry about. agree?