bipartisan support for unpopular agenda

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

discussion brewing about raising social security age also agreement on means testing for medicare and social security. Comments?

Other than the obvious reason of making our country more fiscally sustainable, here's yet another reason why it makes alot of sense

Social Security was created in 1935 with a retirement age of 65, but since then life expectancy at that age has increased by about six years, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.

This would definitely send a positive signal to the debt markets, however

The federal government faces a historic fiscal crisis. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office projects that publicly held debt could reach 62 percent of the gross domestic product by the end of this year, the highest since the Korean War year of 1952. By 2020, the CBO warns, the debt could hit nearly 90 percent of the GDP. History shows that when a nation's debt gets that high, it can cripple the economy.
And the IMF projects 100 percent of the GDP by 2015. The reason why I bring this up is because they are considering
"Raising the retirement age - going out 20 years and not affecting anyone close to retirement
Meaning that this doesn't tangibly affect our projected debt within these IMF and CBO forecastes. The question is will the bond vigilantes forgive us until then?

Other than the obvious reason of making our country more fiscally sustainable, here's yet another reason why it makes alot of sense

This would definitely send a positive signal to the debt markets, however And the IMF projects 100 percent of the GDP by 2015. The reason why I bring this up is because they are considering Meaning that this doesn't tangibly affect our projected debt within these IMF and CBO forecastes. The question is will the bond vigilantes forgive us until then?

i agree that sadly it is necessary. wish i was a year older, however....early retirement seemed very likely and now seems less and less so. means testing for medicare (not explicitly stated here but implied : code word "progressive" in association with medicare) will be a much harder sell but also necessary-probably more so then SS reform. SS is reportedly an easy fix compared to medicare. our children will clearly be paying for the sins of their fathers.

i agree that sadly it is necessary. wish i was a year older, however....early retirement seemed very likely and now seems less and less so. means testing for medicare (not explicitly stated here but implied : code word "progressive" in association with medicare) will be a much harder sell but also necessary-probably more so then SS reform. SS is reportedly an easy fix compared to medicare.

Exactly birdog. S.S is a much easier fix than Medicare. Paul Ryan has a roadmap in how to deal with Medicare, it's a voucher system, and according to the CBO's analysis of it, it would reduce the costs in a big way.

The Roadmap secures Medicare for current beneficiaries, while making common-sense reforms to save this critical program.

•It preserves the existing Medicare program for those currently enrolled or becoming eligible in the next 10 years (those 55 and older today) - So Americans can receive the benefits they planned for throughout their working lives. For those currently under 55 – as they become Medicare-eligible – it creates a Medicare payment, initially averaging $11,000, to be used to purchase a Medicare certified plan. The payment is adjusted to reflect medical inflation, and pegged to income, with low-income individuals receiving greater support. The plan also provides risk adjustment, so those with greater medical needs receive a higher payment.

•The proposal also fully funds Medical Savings Accounts [MSAs] for low-income beneficiaries, while continuing to allow all beneficiaries, regardless of income, to set up tax-free MSAs.

Based on consultation with the Office of the Actuary of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and using Congressional Budget Office [CBO] these reforms will make Medicare permanently solvent •Modernizes Medicaid and strengthens the health care safety net by reforming high-risk pools, giving States maximum flexibility to tailor Medicaid programs to the specific needs of their populations. Allows Medicaid recipients to take part in the same variety of options and high-quality care available to everyone through the tax credit option.

http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget.hous...e/?IssueID=8520

There are some incredible ramifications to raising the age," said Barbara Kennelly, the president of the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare. "Not everyone can work until they're 70.

Not everyone can work until they're 65. What's the point? There are plenty of ways to bridge the gap.

Not everyone can work until they're 65. What's the point? There are plenty of ways to bridge the gap.

i think this is a legitimate concern. later retirement age is going to make the job market and unemployment an even bigger problem- more people vying for the same or fewer jobs.

i think this is a legitimate concern. later retirement age is going to make the job market and unemployment an even bigger problem- more people vying for the same or fewer jobs.

Yes, very good point. That would be one of the unintended consequences of raising the age for S.S

I'm afraid there are no painless outcomes. The longer we kick the old proverbial can down the road, the greater the pain. The sooner we address this problem the better, and if we wait until the bond vigilantes to fix our problem, then we will be forced to incur some stiff draconian measures that will heighten the pain significantly.

Yes, very good point. That would be one of the unintended consequences of raising the age for S.S

I'm afraid there are no painless outcomes. The longer we kick the old proverbial can down the road, the greater the pain. The sooner we address this problem the better, and if we wait until the bond vigilantes to fix our problem, then we will be forced to incur some stiff draconian measures that will heighten the pain significantly.

Can we nuke these guys? Send in Special Forces to take them out? Seems the easiest solution.

:thumbsup:

I am listening.

Not everyone can work period. What's the point. I don't know where it's etched in stone (much less the constitution) that everyone is entitled to a vacation from the age of 65 on.

Most can work into their late 60s if need be, most have savings and investments that could bridge the gap, and for the truly unemployable they could be served by the same measures that are in place for indigents of all ages.

Really? What happens when all the Baby-Boomers kick the bucket en masse? Good times man! Good times! ;);)

Really? What happens when all the Baby-Boomers kick the bucket en masse? Good times man! Good times! ;);)

All kidding aside, the death of the baby-boomers will be the best national fiscal occurence that could possibly happen.