Worst Concerts that you saw...

cwchze

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't really had a bad experience with headliners, but some truly awful opening acts ...

Icicle works opening up for David Gilmour ... first song wasn't bad ... but every song sounded the same ... my buddy fell asleep.

Some band (forgot the name) that opened for Metallica up in Hamilton in the early 90s ... they were so bad that we tried to get as far away as we could, so we stood by the front door inside the arena.

Lastly ... opening for Mountain, April Wine and Deep Purple a few years ago in Toronto was a band from Montreal whose name was quite literal ... "It Sucks", and believe me ... they did. Very Spinal Tap-esque, only they weren't kidding.

I haven't really had a bad experience with headliners, but some truly awful opening acts ...

Icicle works opening up for David Gilmour ... first song wasn't bad ... but every song sounded the same ... my buddy fell asleep.

Some band (forgot the name) that opened for Metallica up in Hamilton in the early 90s ... they were so bad that we tried to get as far away as we could, so we stood by the front door inside the arena.

Lastly ... opening for Mountain, April Wine and Deep Purple a few years ago in Toronto was a band from Montreal whose name was quite literal ... "It Sucks", and believe me ... they did. Very Spinal Tap-esque, only they weren't kidding.

The '85 tour? Wow, surprised you can remember that far back. On the flipside, the Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking tour the following year was the apex of Waters' solo career.

DMB. Oh boy. I know lots of people dig em, but I just don't get it. My sister dragged me to a show a few years back. I tried to like it. I really did. EVERY song was the same. Recipe for DMB song:

1. DM starts out with a quiet little noodle lick on acoustic guitar.

2. Rest of the band comes in, two verses and two chorus.

3. Violin solo

4. A little more singing

5. Horns.

6. Music swells to a muddy cachophony.

7. "concert" ending.

wash, repeat...

I have a hard time saying any two of his songs sound the same, let alone the whole concert as you imply. If you were being "dragged" to the concert, I highly doubt you were trying to enjoy yourself. People just love to hate Dave. Download ANY of their live performances, I can almost guarantee it will change your outlook of them.

joan jett opened for i think the scorpions at the aud in the early 80s- she was so bad that during her i love rock n roll chorus of 'yea oh yea' everyone was giving her the finger in unison screaming 'you fock you'

She opened for deep purple in Rochester and we booed her off the stage. Deep Purple was horrible, they were monotone must have been the sound guy?

I have a hard time saying any two of his songs sound the same, let alone the whole concert as you imply. If you were being "dragged" to the concert, I highly doubt you were trying to enjoy yourself. People just love to hate Dave. Download ANY of their live performances, I can almost guarantee it will change your outlook of them.

Disagree. I love the studio stuff (or should say used to, haven't checked out an album in years) but I went to see him live and was psyched. Then every song I loved was 15 minutes longer than normal. It was long and boring and I hated it.

The '85 tour? Wow, surprised you can remember that far back. On the flipside, the Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking tour the following year was the apex of Waters' solo career.

Yeah, 85 ... wasn't a big fan of About Face ... I love his other 2 solo CDs though.

I never saw Roger solo, but I'm fixing that in Oct ...

Disagree. I love the studio stuff (or should say used to, haven't checked out an album in years) but I went to see him live and was psyched. Then every song I loved was 15 minutes longer than normal. It was long and boring and I hated it.

See I like the songs long, I enjoy the energetic, upbeat parts but sometimes you need to slow down, relax and jam out to some chill beats.

See I like the songs long, I enjoy the energetic, upbeat parts but sometimes you need to slow down, relax and jam out to some chill beats.

Maybe since I don' t abide, I can't enjoy it fully...I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a jam band fan, however I didn't know that until DMB.

1) Early 80's there was a bar in Lancaster/Cheektowaga called September's - whcih I hated but was popular at the time. A buddy and I went to a show - the "Guess Who" (think the bass player was the only original member ) followed by the headliner "John Kay and Steppenwolf". At least the "Guess Who" played good songs decently well - "JK&S" was so awful we left after 3 songs - just horrible. I remember he had all these computers on stage and I was just thinking "WTF" the whole time. That concert is also memorable to me b/c my buddy and I actually planned beforehand to sleep in his car in the parking lot to be responsible and not drink and drive (one of us had recently gotten busted for DUI) - and we did.

2) Genesis at the Carrier Dome think '83. I was in college in Rochester and we took a road trip. Our seats were so incredibly bad - so f'ing far away - just sitting there as if watching it from an airplane thinking the whole time - "well at least they look like they are having fun down there". Holy Crap - what a terrible place to see a show

For some insane reason I saw Billy Joel in like 1993. Holy god. As much as I despise Billy Joel, live he's even worse. There were a lot of empty Applebees in Syracuse that night.

That concert was my first date with my wife. Whenever she is pissed at me, I always throw that concert experience back at her. How can she be mad when I bought the tickets and took her to the worst concert of all time, and pretended to like it.

Billy Joel is satin and now I am f-ing married with children. Thanks a f-ing lot Piano Man! :bag:

That concert was my first date with my wife. Whenever she is pissed at me, I always throw that concert experience back at her. How can she be mad when I bought the tickets and took her to the worst concert of all time, and pretended to like it.

Billy Joel is satin and now I am f-ing married with children. Thanks a f-ing lot Piano Man! :bag:

Ha! that gig was actually my last date with my first girlfriend. I realized if she could like that nonsense I could probably do a lot better.

I was shallow then....haven't ended a relationship over music since I was 30

Slipknot...they were part of a large bill, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, and Mudvane (who didn't play).

Papa Roach wasn't terrible but the lead singer sang half the songs with his wanker out. Not sure I understood the gesture.

Slipknot, whose music I don't mind, was just an aurel assualt. I lasted 1 1/2 songs before my buddies and I couldn't stand it anymore.

If you like that go see moe sometime. They jam and string different songs together. I've seen/heard more than an hour of non-stop music.

I have seen a few stinkers, but I don't remember them as much as I do the good shows.

Probably the absolute worst was Van Halen in the mid 70s (I think) in Buffalo (Century Theater?). They were simply horrendous. Eddie was a joke on guitar and the prancing of David Lee made me ill. My buddy and I retired to the bar to wait out their set after two or three songs.

My first Van Morrison concert (the Wavelength tour) was a fiasco, for the most part. Van came out drunk and knocked over the mike. Mumbled the words to the songs (but still sounded good, actually) and left after 40 minutes or so. On the plus side, the band was great and the backup singers filled in for Van. Van has been awesome every time since. But it took me about 15 years to see him again.

My first Dead show (Rochester mid-70s) was nothing to write home about, either. I had the right head for it, I think, and was very excited to be there. They were the polar opposite of "tight". I also recall they played several songs I had previously heard The Band perform and they were far inferior to The Band's performance. Since I have seen one great Dead show and one very mediocre one.

I have been quite disappointed by concerts from bands I had seen early in their careers and loved. Some examples of one-time good bands gone bad in concert include Journey, Skynyrd, Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult.

That happens with alot of bands, like Nickelback. Bands become big, their musics played all over the radio, and it becomes cool to hate them.

I'm not afraid to say it, I've gone to see Nickelback a few times, they put on a very good live rock show. Nice scenery throughout the crowd too.

I don't think I could say I have had a bad experience with a bands performance, just the experience. The top worst concert experience was probably going to see DMB at Darrien a year or 2 ago, I had lawn seats, and between all the old dirty hippies, and drunk and/or stoned college kids it sucked (the performance was great though). It was annoying having to watchout for hippies swining around dancing on something, or drunks (guys and girls) peeing all over the place in public. After that, I had some d-bag in front of me front row at a metallica/godsmack concert who decided to piss himself so he didn't have to move. I was also at a show where I got to see Jerry Cantrell quit after a couple songs and walk off angry at Sevendust cause they were delayed and he had to play earlier then scheduled and his equipment started to pretty much melt in the heat. One I can't complain too much about was when I went to see The Tea Party in a tiny local bar, they had some equipment trouble that lasted for about 3-4 hours. They ended up still going on and putting on a full set after 12:30 at night.