Vagabonding

A couple months ago i posted about how i was doing a cross country road trip and working in yosemite national park for the entire summer. being out here has gotten me excited to do something else and on the advice of a friend out here i began reading a book called vagabonding by Rolf Potts. About 30 pages in i decided this as for me. its about the art of long term travel and how to do it fairly cheap. One of the chapters is about finding people who have had the vagabonding expierence and can share their advice about how to do it. So im asking here first

I would like to start in Australia. I have family that lives in Canberea so i figured i would start there. Anyone have any advice to share about Vagaboding? Any advice would be helpful as im starting to save money already for my trip in i hope two years from now.

Thanks in Advance....Go Bills :rolleyes:

A couple months ago i posted about how i was doing a cross country road trip and working in yosemite national park for the entire summer. being out here has gotten me excited to do something else and on the advice of a friend out here i began reading a book called vagabonding by Rolf Potts. About 30 pages in i decided this as for me. its about the art of long term travel and how to do it fairly cheap. One of the chapters is about finding people who have had the vagabonding expierence and can share their advice about how to do it. So im asking here first

I would like to start in Australia. I have family that lives in Canberea so i figured i would start there. Anyone have any advice to share about Vagaboding? Any advice would be helpful as im starting to save money already for my trip in i hope two years from now.

Thanks in Advance....Go Bills :rolleyes:

I'm not a vagabond, but tip #1 would be:

- If you are entering Australia you better have a return ticket or you may not get in. - Seems they take immigration a little more seriously than we Yanks.

- If you are entering Australia you better have a return ticket or you may not get in. - Seems they take immigration a little more seriously than we Yanks.

Hahahahah. Well done. Vagabonding rules edit : 2010. A lot of countries won't let you in unless you hold a return ticket.

Also you DO need a return ticket (unless you are a green card holder, citizen or student) when you visit the US.

But in all seriousness OP, it sounds amazing. I hope it happens and I hope you have an amazing time but most importantly I hope you return safe!Also if you do end up doing it, you should definitely do a video/picture blog of your travels.

You should also look into couch surfing. Great way to meet new people and to save $$$.

Couch Surfing

Thanks in Advance....Go Bills :thumbsup:

Did you work for the Park Service or a concessionaire when you were in YOSE?

Vagabounding is a great read! I also love The 4 Hour Work Week. Traveling is my greatest passion! I second www.couchsurfing.com and recommend www.bootsnall.com and www.hostelworld.com . I like 59 litre backpacks with a day pack. And the old adage is true- lay out everything you think you need- and take half that and twice the cash. It is all about traveling light. Man I cannot wait to get some cash together and hit the open road again!

Don't knock up any broads on the the road. You may end up there a LOT longer then you wished.

But isn't one of the benefits of Vagabonding that he'll be on to the next place by the time she gets the news?

It's not like that here anymore? When I was going back and forth for my immigration thing I had to have a return ticket or no way I was getting in. They even checked with my employer in Canada when I was still there to make sure I wasn't coming down to work. Ten years ago

Anyway, my nephew spent 6months to a year(can't remember exactly how long) going through South America with his girlfriend. I know by the time he got back she wasn't his girlfriend any more.

Oh, so that is how you ended up in Anchorage...

No,not me. But I do know someone from Australia who did. Only meant to stay a year,ended up 18. Knocks up this broad,marries her with the idea of talking her into to moving to Australia. She never did. Gets a divorce and they spend the next 16 years in court fighting over custody. I guess he figured joint custody was not going to work with him 10,000 miles away so he stayed till they where old enough to decide which parent to live with.

And believe me he was trapped here. Couldn't wait to get back to Australia, more of a golf type then a hunting and fishing type.

BTW the kids choose to stay here :devil:

• 1 month later...