Which quarterback are you pulling for ultimately

Who would you like to succeed?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to succeed?

• Trent Edwards
    • Brian Brohm
    • Ryan Fitz

They didn't. They put him on the practice squad, a perfect place for a developing QB...particularly when you have a terrific young QB as your starter. The Pack made a counter-offer to Brohm to stay after the Bills made their offer. Doesn't sound like they cut the cord to me.

Name me the last 2nd round QB who was assigned to the practice squad (where he could be raided by another team). I doubt you'll find one.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name me the last 2nd round QB who was assigned to the practice squad (where he could be raided by another team). I doubt you'll find one.

The question is meaningless. They already had two good young QBs who were further progressed than Brohm. He obviously wasn't ready, at the time, to play on that team. But if they had no interest in him whatsoever, they wouldn't have made him a counter-offer. It simply doesn't make sense.

Again, I'm not convinced that Brohm is the answer. But to write him off simply because he didn't fit the Packers situation at that time is crazy. I would imaging Edwards and Fitz would likely be on the outside in Green Bay, too.

The Green Bay Packers also released Kurt Warner. The circumstances were in some ways similar: the Packers had Favre as their starter, and Mark Brunell and Ty Detmer as their 2nd and 3rd string QBs. The Packers felt very comfortable with that QB situation, and rightly so. After being released, Warner stocked shelves at a grocery store.

There were some differences in the two situations. Warner was given just one training camp + preseason in which to showcase himself; whereas Brohm had a full year plus the beginning of his second year. Also, Warner was an UDFA, whereas Brohm was a 2nd round pick.

Normally, when a team uses a pick early in the second round on a player, it's because there was a need at his position. While there was a perceived need at QB for Green Bay, that perceived need quickly disappeared once they started giving Aaron Rodgers playing time. With Flynn turning out to be a very solid backup, the Packers were set at QB with or without Brohm.

Suppose you have an early draft pick on your roster who's developing slowly. You ask yourself, "If I give up on him too early, what am I risking?" Green Bay's thought process probably went something like this: "Given how well Rodgers is playing, odds are slim that Brohm will ever be a better QB. Even if he someday becomes a better QB than Rodgers, odds are the difference won't be enough to matter. Our main incentive for keeping Brohm on the roster is the hope that he'll someday be a better backup QB than Flynn. But we really like Flynn, and think he's plenty good enough to be our long-term plan at backup. And right now we really need a roster spot . . ."

In a nutshell, the Packers had comparatively little to gain by keeping Brohm on the roster, even if he is destined to someday be a good NFL QB.

The Packers are one of very few teams who only keep two QBs on their roster, and their third on their PS. So if the same thing were to happen on another team, he would be on their roster and not their PS.

Plus, the guy who beat Brohm out was a one year wonder stud in college, who was stuck behind two players who were drafted in the NFL, including the first overall pick. Since he only played one year, total, teams were reluctant to draft him high. But when he showed the Packers that he was the real deal and NOT a one year wonder, they thought he looked more ready to play #2 than Brohm, who didn't have a great camp. So it wasn't all that great of a surprise to the Packers that Flynn looked great.

This is not to say Brohm won't suck, or does suck, but they are reasons (not excuses) that this seemingly unusual turn of events happened.

Brohm is the youngest, so if he had a good year it would be more to build on, not that Fitz and Edwards are old, I just feel I've seen enough of them. I would love to see Brohm be everything the scouts thought he'd be after his junior year....but in Buffalo

Since Edwards and Fitz both get a "C-" in past performances in my book, I have to go with Brohm just for hopes of potential and something better in store.

In my book, Brohm got a D- in his performance last year. But, we'll see what training camp and pre season tell us.

The Packers are one of very few teams who only keep two QBs on their roster, and their third on their PS. So if the same thing were to happen on another team, he would be on their roster and not their PS.

Plus, the guy who beat Brohm out was a one year wonder stud in college, who was stuck behind two players who were drafted in the NFL, including the first overall pick. Since he only played one year, total, teams were reluctant to draft him high. But when he showed the Packers that he was the real deal and NOT a one year wonder, they thought he looked more ready to play #2 than Brohm, who didn't have a great camp. So it wasn't all that great of a surprise to the Packers that Flynn looked great.

This is not to say Brohm won't suck, or does suck, but they are reasons (not excuses) that this seemingly unusual turn of events happened.

You guys are all freakin' dancing around the obvious beacuse you're Bills fans. Rightly or wrongly, the Packers thought that Brohm sucked and were perfectly happy to see him go. There really is no argument against that no matter how hard you try to convince yourself that there is.

The question is, Who is right? The Packers or a desperate and directionless 2009 Bills team?

You guys are all freakin' dancing around the obvious beacuse you're Bills fans. Rightly or wrongly, the Packers thought that Brohm sucked and were perfectly happy to see him go. There really is no argument against that no matter how hard you try to convince yourself that there is.

The question is, Who is right? The Packers or a desperate and directionless 2009 Bills team?

The NFL is filled with guys who failed in one stop only to flourish in another

The NFL is filled with guys who failed in one stop only to flourish in another

Not 2nd round QBs. Notice how nobody could successfully answer the question posed earlier about 2nd round QBs.

It's not the Packers' roster decision that they only kept only 2 QBs that tells the story, it's the fact that a high profile QB 1 year removed from being a 2nd round pick got waived and not a single team put in a claim. It's the fact that when GB decided to keep 2 QBs they couldn't get any team to give them a pick for Brohm before he went on waivers. The Brohm fans who "liked him in college" keep spinning it to fit their story, but the fact that nobody wanted Brohm last September is pretty hard to ignore. Guys who flourish elsewhere are not high profile 2nd rounders, cut early in their careers. They are late round to free agent afterthoughts, cut to keep the 2nd round busts around a little longer. I commend GB for having the guts to waive a 2nd round bust & not dragging it out any longer at the expense of a guy who GB could keep who would have flourished elsewhere.

Now the Brohm fans want him to start because he's the only one of the 3 contenders with limited NFL starts & they think, without any evidence, that he could be better than the 2 guys who started last year. He could also be a lot worse, but they'd rather let him stink up the joint and prove to them what GB & the rest of the league already figured out.

Why not go one step further, let's go get another Arena guy, hope he becomes the starter, because he too has not proven in a real NFL game that he can't be a quality NFL starter. At best he can be the next Warner, at worst the next Brohm.

I voted for Brohm because after seeing the other two out there last year it makes no sense to not give Brohm a chance. We should start Brohm and give Fitz the backup role and cut ties with Edwards. Sorry surfer boy.

Agreed. Brohm is the real talent in the group. If he washes out, then we draft Locker next year with the # 1 overall pick (if we have no QB play they win maybe 2 or 3 games

How do you interpret making a counter offer to Brohm as "perfectly happy go see him go"? It's true they didn't keep him on their roster, or make a major move to keep him, but they DID make an attempt to keep him. That flies in the face of "perfectly happy to see him go".

How do you interpret making a counter offer to Brohm as "perfectly happy go see him go"? It's true they didn't keep him on their roster, or make a major move to keep him, but they DID make an attempt to keep him. That flies in the face of "perfectly happy to see him go".

A "counteroffer," if you will, would have been to put him on the actual roster when they only had two other QBs.

A "counteroffer," if you will, would have been to put him on the actual roster when they only had two other QBs.

That would be one kind of counteroffer, and admittedly a better one. But they DID reportedly make a different kind of counteroffer ($$).

Why make ANY counteroffer if you have no use for a player and are "perfectly happy" to see him leave?

That would be one kind of counteroffer, and admittedly a better one. But they DID reportedly make a different kind of counteroffer ($$).

Why make ANY counteroffer if you have no use for a player and are "perfectly happy" to see him leave?

Because he was their insurance policy for 2009 & the only one who could come in as the 3rd stringer who knew their system. The brohm fans make excuses for his lousy Atlanta game saying he didn't know our system well enough, but can't grasp the idea that GB wanted 3 QBs who knew their system that late in the season. The fact that GB waived him in September, when another guy could take his place on the practice squad shows they didn't care if they lost him. By November nobody could fill his insurance place on GB's roster or practice squad-too late in the season. If they thought he had any future they could have EXCEEDED our offer. The fact they only tried to match our 1 1/4 season contract should tell you they were only interested in keeping their insurance policy of a guy who knew their system through 2009.

I think you guys are getting caught up in semantics and aren't seeing each others point.

Dean's point is to say the Packers had absolutely no interest in Brohm and were "perfectly happy" to let him go is not accurate and an overstatement based on their actions. The fact they wanted him on their practice squad in and of itself means you have an interest in keeping that player, albeit slight interest or certainly less than those you chose to keep on the 53 man roster, it's still interest. Furthermore, a player they wanted on their practice squad when he received interest from another team offered something else in dollars. Hence your not perfectly happy to let him go, you did attempt to keep him around your organization.

Dave Mcbride's argument (with others), is that if you don't keep a player on your 53 man roster, he has to clear waivers before you can attempt to bring him back to the practice squad. The notion you would be willing to risk loosing the player during the period he is on waivers carries it's own implications.

I think you are both close to agreeing. Here's my take. The Packers wanted to keep Brohm around, there's little doubt about that, but he wasn't important enough to go beyond making a small counter offer to keep him on their practice squad. All in all, I don't think the Packers lost any sleep over loosing Brohm. But If you're getting technical, if the Packers were asked "Did you want to keep Brohm around to see if he can develop?", they would answer yes.

When the Bills tried to sign him off their PS, they offered him the same contract that the Bills did. To be on their 53 man roster. They wanted him just as much as the Bills, and he chose to come to Buffalo instead because he thought it was a better opportunity to play.