Yet other music thread

I have seen the Stones 12 times, at least once, on every tour they have done since 1978. As great as the 1981 show was (I was there, camped out the night before, after seeing the Dead, amongst the first 50 or so in line, got right down in front of Keef), I think the 1989 tour was the first tour where the Stones took more of a "give the people what they want" approach to their live shows. As much as their studio output sucked after "Tattoo You" in 1981, I think their live shows improved tremendously. I love the sloppy rag-tag, rough and tumble sound, but, if you go back and listen, they just played everything fast, to the point where all the songs ran into eachother. For a band with such an awesome catalog of material, it is kind of nice to hear them take a bit more pride in the way they presented their stuff. I can live without the 5 back up singers, and the mile high stage, with rotating parts, but they did sound real good...if you get a chance to check out that last DVD they put out, from the "Bigger Bang" tour, check out the show they did in Austin. I was there, and they were amazing....
I've seen them a ton of times as well, starting with the 2 Buffalo 75 shows... Chicago 78 was outstanding... and I also did that Dead-Stones weekend in 81! Saw them 2 more times in 81 (Chicago 2 & Lexington), then the long drought. Finally in 89, they were back, or so I thought... I'm not going to say I didn't have fun at the 1st Toronto show at the CNE, it was great seeing them, but that wasn't a Stones show. No spontaneity, no attitude... watered-down Stones. I've gone on to see them many times in the Vegas Era and enjoyed myself, but it's pure nostalgia. Actually, I think the whole move to the Vegas-style was smart on Jagger's part, a calculated money-grab to appeal to as many people as possible. Financially, a brilliant move. Artistically, an epic fail.

I saw that Austin show on Biggest Bang, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. My last show was the 2nd Beacon show in NYC that makes up 90% of Scorsese's Shine A Light. Fun to be there, but to see at home, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Now, the Ladies & Gentleman BD that's supposed to be coming out later this year, that I will watch! :censored:

I love the sloppy rag-tag, rough and tumble sound, but, if you go back and listen, they just played everything fast, to the point where all the songs ran into eachother.
That's what made them great live in the 78-82 Ronnie Wood era, that's rocking. I could and have listened to the 81 soundboards that came out a couple years ago non-stop over & over, all day long, great stuff. Go to the Vegas Era, you've heard one Vegas show, you've heard them all. No longer a guitar-driven band, they are led by Chuck Leavell on lead plink. :censored:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No longer a guitar-driven band, they are led by Chuck Leavell on lead plink. :censored:

I should have mentioned Sea Level as anothet great concert. Chuck Leavell is a fantastic keyboard player with a ton of taste. I can't believe he lowered himself to play with the Stones. He is far superior musically to anyone else in the band. But you are right, they really aren't the Stones with Chuck in the lead.

I've attended many concerts over the years..

Never saw the Stones or Peter Gabriel. Judging from comments

in the thread, these two have been seen by many members of TSW.

Most memorable concert was in 1974 at Rich Stadium.

Lynryd Skynrd (sp?) , James Gang and ELP. Great night.

Another memorable concert was at Kleinhans Music Hall in Buffalo.

1964,,,The Dave Clark Five... my first concert

My first post pertained only to rock concerts. Perhaps the best overall evening of live music I've ever seen was in July 2004 at the Montreal Jazz Festival. My brother and I scored stupendous seats for Oscar Peterson, with Oliver Jones as the "warm up". The final three numbers - sort of an encore - were done with their grand pianos facing each other. Sheer majesty. Now that he's gone, I realize how lucky I am to have seen Oscar Peterson. Even after the stroke, that man was beyond mortal on the keyboard.

My first post pertained only to rock concerts. Perhaps the best overall evening of live music I've ever seen was in July 2004 at the Montreal Jazz Festival. My brother and I scored stupendous seats for Oscar Peterson, with Oliver Jones as the "warm up". The final three numbers - sort of an encore - were done with their grand pianos facing each other. Sheer majesty. Now that he's gone, I realize how lucky I am to have seen Oscar Peterson. Even after the stroke, that man was beyond mortal on the keyboard.

for an off beat (or upbeat, downbeat?,unique maybe) concert experience consider the southeastern bluegrass/americana festivals...as far as fun, for a weekend concert they're unmatched in my experience. merlefest in N.C. and rhythm and roots in Bristol Va/Tenn are among the best. a weekend pass for R&R in Sept. is $40 for more than 100 bands mostly in small restaurants, cafes and street stages. earthy, sweet, genuine, unpretentious, american music. worth a trip.

It was either fall of 1999 or spring of 2000. I can narrow it down based only on remembering my then-girlfriend's apartment. I do remember it being the first tour of the reunited E Street Band. I also remember my friends and I could not even get tickets next to each other which killed the fun that much more.

arena shows...I just don't get it.

Yup, spring of 2000. I was actually behind the stage for that one - in the balcony and the sound was great.

I saw Bruce in 1976. I was very excited to go, as I absolutely LOVED The Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. Born to Run was the new album, and I really didn't care that much for it...but I was still looking forward to the concert.

It was OK. Not particularly memorable. Actually I was a bit disappointed, given all the stuff I heard about his show. It wasn't terrible, though. The stuff I see him doing in his TV concerts these days is an embarrassment.

As for Clarence (The Big Man) Clemons, he was fun when I saw him with Bruce. He SUCKED, and sucked hard when I saw him playing with his own band. Man he really is a horrible sax player...at least he was that night.

I really can't think of my absolute favorite concert, there are too many. Here are a few highlights off the top of my head:

A great all-day concert at SUNY Albany in 1976 (I think). Among the highlights were the sensational mandolin playing of Frank Wakefield, the violin of Vassar Clements and a brilliant

life-changing guitar performance by Roy Buchanan.

Around the same time I saw The Outlaws (a new band at the time) in a very small ballroom, set up for the concert. They were great. But what made it really special was awesome performance (and the ear-splitting volume) of Les Dudek. I saw Les about a year ago and he actually is an even better guitar player now. But that first exposure to his music can never be matched. I hope to see Les again next week in Orlando.

Jean Luc Ponty in the latter part of the 1970's (I'm thinking 1977). Daryl Stuermer on guitar and funky Ralphe Armstrong on bass. What a fabulous band and an absolutely mind blowing performance. No dancing, no shtick...just freakin' music. It really changed what I look for in a live performance.

The David Grisman Quartet (or was it quintet?) at the Tralfamadore (downtown) in Buffalo. I was already a HUGE fan of Dawg music, but seeing if live for the first time was really something special. The mushrooms didn't hurt, either.

I'm tired and so I am sure to be forgetting many. I can say some of my concert highlights are: The Band, Climax Blues Band, Sonny Rollins, Dizzy Gillespie, Freddie Hubbard (he fired his drummer on stage), Dave Mason, Blue Oyster Cult (very early in their career), Golden Earring and Focus together, Santana, Van Morrison, Steely Dan (of course), Oscar Peterson and Tower of Power.

EDIT: I should note that I saw Journey absolutely blow the place away in concert. Just fantastic. This was. of course, before Steve Perry. They were a new off-shoot (in a way) of Santana and they were fantastic. Years later I had the displeasure of seeing them with Perry and they sucked. And I forgot to mention Zappa. How could I forget to mention Zappa?

Yeah, even us Bruce diehards know that Clarence isn't that good of a sax player, and really has some bad nights now due to health problems. But, he's beloved and fun at a concert.

When did Steve Perry join Journey anyway? Because when they opened for the Stones in '78 it was much better, so I doubt he was with them. It was Wheel in the Sky, etc.

My dad will never ever stop talking about how he saw Bruce Springsteen at the Capitol Theater in Passaic New Jersey in 1978. He went to each and every show (Can't remember how many there exactly were). He said it was the best time to see Bruce because he got his sound with Born to Run but it was pre-Born in the USA were he was still small enough to be seen in mid-sized theaters.

All in all he said it was the best Rock and Roll concert ever and a lot of Rock critics actually say those were Bruce's best shows ever.

As for me personally I saw the Gaslight Anthem at the Welmont in December of 2009 it was a great show and I am looking forward to their Aug 5th show at the iconic Stone Pony.

Yeah, even us Bruce diehards know that Clarence isn't that good of a sax player, and really has some bad nights now due to health problems. But, he's beloved and fun at a concert.

When did Steve Perry join Journey anyway? Because when they opened for the Stones in '78 it was much better, so I doubt he was with them. It was Wheel in the Sky, etc.

I believe Perry joined in late 1977.

Most memarable prolly cause of the small venues

U-2 at Sheas

Police at Stage One

Dizzy at the Tralph

Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco De Lucia

Gabriel

Gentle Giant

all in Kleinhans

War tour? I was there, insane show.. I was up in the balcony, it was shaking so hard I thought it was gonna come down. Two days later I saw Roxy in Cleveland (Avalon tour, all-time clearest sound for a concert) with Huey Lewis opening ("and remember, you just heard the News!" :thumbsup:)

War tour? I was there, insane show.. I was up in the balcony, it was shaking so hard I thought it was gonna come down. Two days later I saw Roxy in Cleveland (Avalon tour, all-time clearest sound for a concert) with Huey Lewis opening ("and remember, you just heard the News!" :thumbsup:)

Yep, that was the show. I thought Sheas was closed to rock shows after that as the balcony was, in fact, close to coming down. I was on the floor, but great show that!!!!! Remember it well as I literally got home that day from school, saw they were in town that night in the paper, went down and got tickets at the box office.

well, i'm too young to see these epic concerts you guys talk about, even though i would love to see some of them... the best concert i've ever seen is Metallica and Godsmack at the HSBC a few years back. Godsmack f'ing rocked, even the drum solo kicked ass. then Metallica came on and played for at least 2 hours, I was a senior in high school and I'll never forget that concert, I went to the concert with my father, who i didn't even know was a Metallica fan until maybe 2 months before that concert and it made for a great bonding experience.

ok some great shows:

van halen Fair warning tour.....insane jump tour 1984...crazy...diamond dave was the bomb back then.Never

thought they would break up.Saw them with Van Hagar..boy just not even close..Saw DLR in 87 with tesla opening.

Great great show..

Rush..Saw them 3 times in early 80's.boy they are tight when they saw they are a guys only show.Chicks

just did not dig them.My wife still does not see what I see in them....

Black Sabbath with Dio as the lead.man was that a crazy show. early 80's.Ronnie is one of my

favorite frontman.too bad he passed...

Def Leppard. saw them 1978 during Hi-N-Dri tour.samll club in ct.knew they would be famous.Saw

again 10 years later.Hysteria tour.Man if you wanted to get a piece of ass.go see def leppard...full

of big hair and big breasts...Loved them..still do

Bob Segar.saw in ct 1982 and in Saratoga 1986(fabulous tbirds opened)Still one of my favorite shows.

Segar just knew how to crank and have fun..knew the words to every song..

new band..saw Lifehouse 3 years ago in small club Northern Lights.(my daughters favorite band)My boy and I went

with my wife and daughter just because...my son was only 11..the owner of club sais to me and him.why dont u come sit here backstage so you can see better..grabbed the girls and saw a great show...they have a great sound..

now I am going to go start a thread about worst concerts...rock on....

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Peace Bridge Exibition Center

Pink Floyd - Ivor Wynne Stadium - Hamilton

Genesis - Fabulous Fox Theater, Atlanta

boobie prize...Flock of Seagulls (Raleigh) & Aldo Nova (Dayton)

Kiss

Supertramp

Crosby Stills and Nash

absolutelu luv supertramp.....songs still classics 30 years later!one came

on my wifes sateliite radio the other day (rocknrandy station)we both sang

it outloud... :devil:

• 1 month later...

Reread this thread and remembered a fantastic concert I went to-the firm at whatever Rochester's hockey rink is called. The key point is it was general admission and I was of course so close I could have pulled Jimmy Page off the stage by his ankles. Just cool seeing Page in a almost bar like atmosphere.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage