RBs A

WRs C

O-line D

D-line C

LBs B

DBs A-

Specials A

FINAL ANALYSIS

The Bills will be more fun to watch under the offensive-minded Gailey than they were under Dick Jauron. But it’s difficult to imagine them winning many games with so many question marks at quarterback, receiver and offensive line. And it doesn’t help that the teams they’re chasing in the AFC East were more aggressive upgrading their rosters in the offseason than the Bills, who obviously needed to do more.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree with all the grades except O-line and Coaching. The Bills have quality guards in Wood and Levitre so a "D" seems too low. "C" maybe. Coaching should be a "B". Gailey is already a better coach than Jauron just in OTA's.

I will say this: No one EVER predicts the Bills will be good even when they are. Find an old Athlon or other pre-season mag from the late 80's/early 90's. You'd think they were grading the 2009 Bills and not the defending AFC Champs. Everyone loves to hate on the Bills no matter what.

PTR

I'd agree with all the grades except O-line and Coaching. The Bills have quality guards in Wood and Levitre so a "D" seems too low. "C" maybe. Coaching should be a "B". Gailey is already a better coach than Jauron just in OTA's.

I will say this: No one EVER predicts the Bills will be good even when they are. Find an old Athlon or other pre-season mag from the late 80's/early 90's. You'd think they were grading the 2009 Bills and not the defending AFC Champs. Everyone loves to hate on the Bills no matter what.

PTR

While I agree with you, it's understandable that no one else is giving us any OL cred, following last years' debacle and no 'new' names there. What the pundits miss, IMO, is the 'NO offense' offensive strategy employed by Jauron.

Gailey has to prove himself for more than a C, and I regard Athlon as a great NFL assessment mag.

Go Bills!

I much prefer post season rankings.

This - like all other "outlooks" is like driving down the freeway using your rear-view mirror as a means to navigate where the hell you're going.

Frankly, I'd give all the squads and coaches a flat out grade of F at this point.

They haven't done crap and they can't do crap until the season begins.

I don't care how this one or that one looks in OTAs or training camp or the "pre"season.

It doesn't mean jack squat until the ball gets aired out for real in September.

Frankly, I'd give all the squads and coaches a flat out grade of F at this point.

They haven't done crap and they can't do crap until the season begins.

Why an F? They haven't done anything BAD at this point, either. Does every team get an F? Does every team with a new HC get an F?

I agree these preseason grades are totally bogus, but I don't see the reason to replace extreme optimism, or realistic prognostication with extreme pessimism. The grade they should get, IMO, is an Incomplete.

A- for the DBs? I'd say they're a solid A...3 starting caliber CBs in McGee, McKelvin, and Florence, solid backups in Corner and Youboty and at S we have Byrd, last year's true defensive rookie of the year, a solid but not spectacular Whitner, Bryan Scott is a force against the run..and George Wilson graded out to be the best S in the league against the pass last year...they're either an A or an A+

Why an F? They haven't done anything BAD at this point, either. Does every team get an F? Does every team with a new HC get an F?

I agree these preseason grades are totally bogus, but I don't see the reason to replace extreme optimism, or realistic prognostication with extreme pessimism. The grade they should get, IMO, is an Incomplete.

Fair enough. I was going more from a ground zero perspective: The race hasn't started and everyone should be starting from a baseline of zero. They earn their grades based on what they do in the season, not how pretty they look in the fan mags.

You're right. "Cheer up Brian, you know what they say..."

Fair enough. I was going more from a ground zero perspective: The race hasn't started and everyone should be starting from a baseline of zero. They earn their grades based on what they do in the season, not how pretty they look in the fan mags.

You're right. "Cheer up Brian, you know what they say..."

:beer:

And it doesn’t help that the teams they’re chasing in the AFC East were more aggressive upgrading their rosters in the offseason than the Bills, who obviously needed to do more.

The above is a fair assessment. The FO seems to believe they can get more out of the current roster than Jauron & company did. I think they can too, but the million dollar question is, "how much more?" Enough to make up ground against the rest of the AFC East?

We'll all have a better handle on that around mid season.

And it doesn’t help that the teams they’re chasing in the AFC East were more aggressive upgrading their rosters in the offseason than the Bills, who obviously needed to do more.

The above is a fair assessment. The FO seems to believe they can get more out of the current roster than Jauron & company did. I think they can too, but the million dollar question is, "how much more?" Enough to make up ground against the rest of the AFC East?

+1

In a broader context though, things are not necessarily as dire.

The New England Patsies* have maneuvered very nicely to pick up extra draft picks but they haven't parlayed many of those picks into front line talent. With Pioli departed, it's in question as to whether the Patsies* will draft as well going forward.

Also, they've won nothing since Spygate.

Brady, Moss, Welker and a bunch of others are all showing their age. They are an old team with lots of players on the downside.

Belichick won nothing before Brady ascended as a top quarterback.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think that they might step down for a few years before possibly re-surging.

The New York Jests have well-documented logistical challenges regarding re-signing their core players with the Darelle Revis, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and David Harris looking for new deals.

To make matters worse, the team has a recent history of messy player negotiations with former Pro Bowl guard Pete Kendall and guard Brandon Moore accusing the team of breaking promises to extend their contracts. Former players Leon Washington, Chris Baker and Laveranues Coles have made the same accusations.

They've also recently jettisoned big-time contributors to their recent success in Alan Faneca, Leon Washington, and Thomas Jones.

Even further muddying the situation is that the team has brought in lots of big-name players via trades and free agency: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, Jason Taylor, LaDanian Tomlinson, Brodney Pool, and Nick Folk.

This has led to accusations within the team that the Jets are spending money on outsiders, but not the guys they've drafted and developed (Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, Harris).

Also several Jests recent acquisitions are playing on expiring contracts: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, and Antonio Cromartie are all set to become free agents after this year.

Also, the jury is still out on Mark Sanchez. It's not a given that he'll ascend to the ranks of truly excellent quarterbacks.

Throw in the volatility of the New York media, and Rex Ryan's propensity for talking too much and I don't think it's a stretch to say that for the Jests, it's 2010 or bust.

They're very powerful on paper right now but it all could blow away very quickly for a team which has NEVER had a sustained stretch of excellence in their history.

I think the Miami Dolphags might be the Bills biggest challengers 2-3 years down the road. They have a proven architect in Bill Parcells and for the most part have appeared to be making solid moves to build the team, as opposed to the Redskins/Fantasy Football approach that the Jests are now employing.

But as a big Michigan fan and someone who has followed Chad Henne's career, I just don't see him becoming a top quarterback. Great measurables but there has always seemed to be something missing with the guy.

My point is that while our competitors in the AFC East appear to be leaving us behind, one can look ahead a short distance and see where the balance of power in the division could actually be shifting towards us.

In a broader context though, things are not necessarily as dire.

The New England Patsies* have maneuvered very nicely to pick up extra draft picks but they haven't parlayed many of those picks into front line talent. With Pioli departed, it's in question as to whether the Patsies* will draft as well going forward.

Also, they've won nothing since Spygate.

Brady, Moss, Welker and a bunch of others are all showing their age. They are an old team with lots of players on the downside.

Belichick won nothing before Brady ascended as a top quarterback.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think that they might step down for a few years before possibly re-surging.

The New York Jests have well-documented logistical challenges regarding re-signing their core players with the Darelle Revis, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and David Harris looking for new deals.

To make matters worse, the team has a recent history of messy player negotiations with former Pro Bowl guard Pete Kendall and guard Brandon Moore accusing the team of breaking promises to extend their contracts. Former players Leon Washington, Chris Baker and Laveranues Coles have made the same accusations.

They've also recently jettisoned big-time contributors to their recent success in Alan Faneca, Leon Washington, and Thomas Jones.

Even further muddying the situation is that the team has brought in lots of big-name players via trades and free agency: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, Jason Taylor, LaDanian Tomlinson, Brodney Pool, and Nick Folk.

This has led to accusations within the team that the Jets are spending money on outsiders, but not the guys they've drafted and developed (Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, Harris).

Also several Jests recent acquisitions are playing on expiring contracts: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, and Antonio Cromartie are all set to become free agents after this year.

Also, the jury is still out on Mark Sanchez. It's not a given that he'll ascend to the ranks of truly excellent quarterbacks.

Throw in the volatility of the New York media, and Rex Ryan's propensity for talking too much and I don't think it's a stretch to say that for the Jests, it's 2010 or bust.

They're very powerful on paper right now but it all could blow away very quickly for a team which has NEVER had a sustained stretch of excellence in their history.

I think the Miami Dolphags might be the Bills biggest challengers 2-3 years down the road. They have a proven architect in Bill Parcells and for the most part have appeared to be making solid moves to build the team, as opposed to the Redskins/Fantasy Football approach that the Jests are now employing.

But as a big Michigan fan and someone who has followed Chad Henne's career, I just don't see him becoming a top quarterback. Great measurables but there has always seemed to be something missing with the guy.

My point is that while our competitors in the AFC East appear to be leaving us behind, one can look ahead a short distance and see where the balance of power in the division could actually be shifting towards us.

Can't take issue with anything you said.

However, at this stage of the game, all we have to go on is what the clubs have done in the draft & off season. At this point, on paper, NY and Miami have improved. NE hasn't gained OR lost a whole lot. Hell, things could change dramatically for each club in preseason....a key injury or two to crucial players and all of a sudden a team's outlook could be very different.

Henne is no Dan Marino or Bob Griese, but he's no Jay Fiedler, either. Sparano does a good job, but the Dolphins weren't the same team without Ronnie Brown, either. And if Sanchez or Brady go down, neither of those teams is going to ride the backup QB into the playoffs.

I think we should wait & see how Chan has the team cranking by 2/3 of the way through the season and reserve judgement until then.

Link

Grades:

Coaches C...seems harsh

QBs D...seems kind

RBs A

WRs C

O-line D

D-line C

LBs B

DBs A-

Specials A

Wow, the LB's got a B? I think that was extremely kind. Everything else seems about right. Sorry folks, but it is not pessimism abound for the Bills this coming season, it is realism abound.

PTR

The grades are the grades. I hope Chan turns out better than a C. The O-line grade is spot on. Until that line proves it can pass block, open holes and STAY ON SIDES they don't deserve anything better than a D or maybe an "incomplete".

The Patriots didn't do much to help their roster. Adding Torry Holt and Alge Crumpler, both dinosaurs, won't do much in the face of Welker being limited, if he plays at all, for the first half of the year or longer and the loss of Ben Watson. The Jets messed with what works, and also added dinosaurs LT and JT, a poser like Cromartie, and they have several disgruntled players. The Dols added the biggest names, but the biggest names don't always help win games. The Bills can and will compete in the AFC East next year.

FINAL ANALYSIS

The Bills will be more fun to watch under the offensive-minded Gailey than they were under Dick Jauron. But it’s difficult to imagine them winning many games with so many question marks at quarterback, receiver and offensive line. And it doesn’t help that the teams they’re chasing in the AFC East were more aggressive upgrading their rosters in the offseason than the Bills, who obviously needed to do more.

That says it all in a nutshell.