New Iphone can do everything but make phone calls

Fingon

I really want to get out of the huge bills from Verizon but I have never found the combination of phones and service to beat them!

Do what I did - get a job where your company picks up your entire phone bill. ;)

(of course the downside is that I'm on call 24x7....)

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean, I actually like the stock Android browser better than anything else out there. I keep Opera around just in case something doesn't work with the stock browser, but I rarely (if ever) open it. I've needed it like maybe once since July.

First, install Barcode Scanner from the market so you can scan QR codes. These are starting to show up all over (including Best Buy on store shelf tags now). I'll link you to site with QR codes for various things, and it'll load that software right up in the market instead of having to search for it.

What I use:

- LauncherPro: http://www.brighthub.com/mobile/google-android/articles/80554.aspx

- Google Maps/Navigation

- Google Places

- Google Goggles

- Google Sky Map

- Buzzbox: http://www.buzzbox.com/page/android

- Google Earth

- Google Translate

- Evernote: http://www.evernote.com/about/download/android.php

- Amazon

- Tasker: http://tasker.dinglisch.net/

- Google Voice

- WordFeud FREE (scrabble clone you can play vs others): http://mobiputing.com/2010/08/wordfeud-free-scrabble-or-words-with-friends-clone-for-android/

- Weather & Toggle Widget: http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-androidapps-widget-weather2-pEp.aspx

- Facebook

- Twitter

- Google Talk

- Euchre (Free)

- HP iPrint Photo (allows me to print photos directly to my wireless hp printer at home)

- Gmail

- Stock Exchange Support

- Stock Calendar

- Filkie Wallpapers HD

- Compass

- Alchemy (game)

- OpenSpark (Xbox Live)

- The Onion

- NPR

- U-Verse Mobile

Do what I did - get a job where your company picks up your entire phone bill. ;)

(of course the downside is that I'm on call 24x7....)

I own my own business - my farm, kind of self defeating that I have my company pay it? :wallbash: (I get to put it on my taxes, though)

I am on call 24/7 already. :wallbash:

I actually need a real job - they're hard to find around here, they're all entry level labor positions for the most part.

First, install Barcode Scanner from the market so you can scan QR codes. These are starting to show up all over (including Best Buy on store shelf tags now). I'll link you to site with QR codes for various things, and it'll load that software right up in the market instead of having to search for it.

Awesome. I just used it to download launcher pro.

Cool. I've looked into several youtube vids with similar phones and it doesn't seem too difficult. Plus I figure what's the worst that can happen... I totally screw the phone and have to get a new one. So, I figure it's worth the $35 dollars and week's worth of waiting for the part. Either I get a new life out of the thing or I go get the LG phone Lana referenced.

Success!

I ordered a new LCD screen from etech.com; it arrived today. Spent a little time this evening youtubing similar phones again.. then dug in. The entire operation took about an hour and a half (with a 30 minute step to let the glue dry). Now it's all back together and working like a charm. Only slight problem is, like and idiot, I smudged the inside of the screen before putting it back together. Not super bad, but just enough ya know. Oh well.

Taking it apart is definitely not for the faint of heart. To get the phone apart, you have to pull and pry to the point of near breakage. All the youtube vids warned of this step; but it's enough that I don't want to pull it back apart to clean the smudge. Once you do that... it's a pretty simple tear down, replace, and put back together.

So, for $35 and some time I got my phone back to full functionality as opposed to nearly $200 (depending on the phone) to get a new one. Not half bad.

Verizon hiring call center staff to ramp up for iPhone launch.

G
asp, another Verizon iPhone rumor surfaced this week.
ohmy.gif
Two hiring firms are posting jobs
for thousands of customer service reps for a "major wireless cell phone service retailer," across the United States, according to CNET
and others.
Could the increase in staffing be in preparation for a January release of the Verizon iPhone? Maybe.
A few additional "help wanted" ads give a clue. By Paul Suarez, PC World.

What it could mean for Motorola.

Kumar predicts that Motorola's future guidance is equally distressing and the American company will fall short of its estimated sales of 5.5 million handsets in Q4 2010. The news goes from bad to worse in 2011 when the iPhone is expected to land on Verizon. Verizon is thought to be slowly withdrawing its future commitments for Motorola's Android handsets while it prepares for an iPhone launch. With Android at the top of Verizon's smartphone lineup and Motorola the leading manufacturer, Kumar predicts that the American company has a lot to lose when an iPhone debuts on Verizon. By Kelly Hodgkins, editor intomobile.com via Barrons.

AT&T making post-launch plans.

AT&T will be the only U.S. wireless carrier to offer smartphones with every major operating system this holiday season, as the company attempts to diversify its portfolio beyond the iPhone, which is rumored to arrive on rival carrier Verizon's network in early 2011. By Slash Lane, AppleInsider

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

How's RIM doing these days?

Free Fall

There's no one here still using a blackberry is there? (Unless your'e forced to by some IT moron.)

I am.

My choices at work are either the iPhone or Blackberry, and for email, the BB is still #1. Physical keyboard beats a virtual keyboard every day, and the battery life is much better than my iPhone-owning coworkers. When I was at HP Discover last year, my coworker had to recharge his phone halfway through the day. My phone still had 50% of a charge left.

Now if I could choose Android, I might be tempted -- especially if there was a phone with a physical keyboard. Heck, I might even be tempted by a WP7 device (Lumia 900, perhaps).

battery is worse with the android phones than the iphones :wallbash:

I am.

My choices at work are either the iPhone or Blackberry, and for email, the BB is still #1. Physical keyboard beats a virtual keyboard every day, and the battery life is much better than my iPhone-owning coworkers. When I was at HP Discover last year, my coworker had to recharge his phone halfway through the day. My phone still had 50% of a charge left.

Now if I could choose Android, I might be tempted -- especially if there was a phone with a physical keyboard. Heck, I might even be tempted by a WP7 device (Lumia 900, perhaps).

I love my phone, I have the google nexus, but the battery is enough to drive you crazy...i bought the extended battery which i feel doesn't last as long as the standard one, but I usually carry both batteries with me wherever i go...i really hope they can address the battery usage in updates...

Then maybe I do prefer the Blackberry afterall! :lol:

The iPhone battery bothered me more when I first got one because I was used to old phones lasting a couple days on a charge. Now I'm used to it. It can go a fairly long time if you're not using it. But I just carry a charger in the car, and also have one at work.

All that matters is that I can go sunrise to sunset using it a ton without it dying.

I don't compose long messages on my phone so virtual keyboard is fine. I can jam out a couple paragraphs quickly. It's not like I'd want to write a 10 page paper on a phone. If you do, I guess the keyboard is better.

I love my phone, I have the google nexus, but the battery is enough to drive you crazy...i bought the extended battery which i feel doesn't last as long as the standard one, but I usually carry both batteries with me wherever i go...i really hope they can address the battery usage in updates...

The new generation of Android phones coming out this year is supposed to have a major increase in battery life.

do you know if the battery improvement is because of hardware or software? i am hoping its the latter that they can push out to all users

The new generation of Android phones coming out this year is supposed to have a major increase in battery life.

How's RIM doing these days?

Free Fall

There's no one here still using a blackberry is there? (Unless your'e forced to by some IT moron.)

No matter what ever phone I have I will miss my Blackberry. The way that thing could operate with email was and is incredible. I can only hope a good company, maybe Motorola/Google can buy them to incorporate that system? Nothing will ever beat a Blackberry as a communication device.

The email, SMS, MMS, and calls with Blackberry have never been an issue. The issue is that the phones are for business not fun.

do you know if the battery improvement is because of hardware or software? i am hoping its the latter that they can push out to all users

Both, but you won't get the improvements on most older phones due to carriers / hardware limitations / etc

i've got the nexus so i am hoping that will be easily updated...it was meant to be the flagship and guinea pig as they built out ICS

Both, but you won't get the improvements on most older phones due to carriers / hardware limitations / etc