New Iphone can do everything but make phone calls

Fingon

3G wipes its ass with EDGE and flushes.

If you are seriously going to compare browsing experiences between an iPhone and Blackberry, you're officially entering the world of conner.

I do it all the time. When I'm home, I pick up the pretty shiny 3GS to get basic info. When I get frustrated at 1/2 page loads, I break out the beta up BB and get the information before iPhone can finish rendering the image. There's something to be said about RIM's network and engineering that's devoted solely to getting the information to people fast. Maybe it's because much of the information that business people need doesn't involve pretty graphics?

But yes, I know, your world class enterprise with thousands of users would disagree with that. iPhone is useless on EDGE

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do it all the time. When I'm home, I pick up the pretty shiny 3GS to get basic info. When I get frustrated at 1/2 page loads, I break out the beta up BB and get the information before iPhone can finish rendering the image. There's something to be said about RIM's network and engineering that's devoted solely to getting the information to people fast. Maybe it's because much of the information that business people need doesn't involve pretty graphics?

But yes, I know, your world class enterprise with thousands of users would disagree with that. iPhone is useless on EDGE

GG, why are you arguing with this guy? He's an iZombie. To him, Steve Jobs could stamp the iPhone logo on one of his fresh bowel excretions and him and his ilk will tell you how it's the greatest bowel movement ever.

I find it ironic that Apple used to use an advertisement mocking the '1984'-like state of Microsoft back in the day. Fast forward 20 years later, and it could be Steve Jobs on that screen telling his followers to 'obey'.

I'm confused...why do you use 3G at home? Don't you have wifi at your house?

I don't turn that feature on for my Blackberry because I've read it chews up batteries, especially when you leave your house and it's still searching for the WiFi signal, and I don't want to have to remember to turn it on and off all the time.

That, and I have an unlimited data plan through work and it seems fast enough, so I deal with it.

Not sure about GG, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar.

I rarely am on EDGE. You must live in the styx.

GG, why are you arguing with this guy? He's an iZombie. To him, Steve Jobs could stamp the iPhone logo on one of his fresh bowel excretions and him and his ilk will tell you how it's the greatest bowel movement ever.

I find it ironic that Apple used to use an advertisement mocking the '1984'-like state of Microsoft back in the day. Fast forward 20 years later, and it could be Steve Jobs on that screen telling his followers to 'obey'.

The HTC Incredible is an amazing phone. There are others too that are better in ways than the iPhone. But to bring up Blackberry in this discussion is foolishness. The Blackberry is a cute email machine.

The HTC Incredible is an amazing phone. There are others too that are better in ways than the iPhone. But to bring up Blackberry in this discussion is foolishness. The Blackberry is a cute email machine.

If by "cute" you mean "the most reliable email machine on the market," then yes, you are correct.

Again, it might just be a case of what tool we're using, but my company uses GOOD for their Exchange integration. This past weekend, we ended up getting about 800 alert emails from a downed system (the fact that it spewed that much is another issue...). Everyone who had an iPhone lost all of their previous emails on the phone - the storage space allocated to email was overrun by these alerts. In addition, it crashed the phone frequently trying to download all of those messages. The people that had Blackberries had 800 messages show up that they had to delete. But there were no issues.

Again, maybe it's the GOOD application, but it does point out a major deficiency in the device. The BB "just works," which is ironically what everyone says about Apple products. :lol:

I'm confused...why do you use 3G at home? Don't you have wifi at your house?

The example I used is when we're not at home. But at home, there are enough connected devices that the iPhone isn't the main device. Unless I'm too lazy to get the laptop or walk to the office PC.

As many commented, NYC has always been a horrible market for AT&T and the iPhone simply magnified the problems. Although I must say that we've noticed a big improvement in service in the last 3 months. Still not as good as many areas in Texas, but not horrible anymore.

I rarely am on EDGE. You must live in the styx.

.. or in an area that doesn't allow cell towers ...

and I have to echo Fezmid's comments on BBs. No way do corporate IT managers move off that platform unless BB totally screws up BES.

I think the most interesting thing out of that article is not the drop in signal strength, but the vast difference in actual signal strength among the phones. Looks like Droid X has the best performance.

If you go to the source article and watch the video, those are some really stupid ways to hold and squeeze those phones to get a performance drop. Noone would ever talk on those models in that fashion.

And is a 10 dBm drop that significant? It looks like they were losing 1 bar.

Also, why don't they report the dBm drop for the iPhone? That's what I'd like to compare it to.

I just bought a Samsung Captivate last night, couldn't pass up $350 non-contract pricing. Amazing phone!

I ordered a $29.95 prepaid plan Samsung v239 from T-Mobile yesterday. I'll switch over the SIM card from my 19.95 Nokia - I have 174 minutes on that.

I would like to rewind the clock, to when a long-distance call cost 2 or three bucks. Then we would stop bothering the daylights out of each other 24/7, and live in quiet peace.

:rolleyes:

I ordered a $29.95 prepaid plan Samsung v239 from T-Mobile yesterday. I'll switch over the SIM card from my 19.95 Nokia - I have 174 minutes on that.

I would like to rewind the clock, to when a long-distance call cost 2 or three bucks. Then we would stop bothering the daylights out of each other 24/7, and live in quiet peace.

as someone who works on, and pushes, the cutting edge of telecom, i couldnt agree more.

Who uses a phone for phone calls anymore? :wallbash: