New Iphone can do everything but make phone calls

Fingon

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the T-Mobile version Vibrant last week. Screen is unbelievable.

Vibrant and the Samsung Wave (when it gets here) use SuperAMOLED screens....they're freakin' beautiful. I wrote an article for a tech magazine discussing what makes SuperAMOLED the bees knees.

Vibrant and the Samsung Wave (when it gets here) use SuperAMOLED screens....they're freakin' beautiful. I wrote an article for a tech magazine discussing what makes SuperAMOLED the bees knees.

The cat's meow?

• 2 weeks later...

Not looking good for Blackberrys. RIM will try to stem the tide of defectors but it's probably too late. RIM Netscaped themselves with the legion of blind followers. The email machine is less than consumers want these days. I wonder if they can turn it around.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/02/blackbe...t-plan-to-defe/

Nielsen has its own angle on the smartphone numbers game out today, and the results vaguely resemble the numbers from Canalys. Perhaps more interesting than the ever present market share tug-of-war (Nielsen pegs Google, RIM, and Apple at 27 percent, 33 percent, and 23 percent in sales to new smartphone subscribers, respectively) a note on brand loyalty turns out ugly for BlackBerry: while 89 percent of iPhone owners plan on getting another iPhone, and 71 percent of Android buyers plan to re-up, only 42 percent of BlackBerry owners plan to stick around. The defectors are pretty evenly split, with 29 percent planning to go iPhone, and 21 percent to go Android. That compares to 2 and 3 percent in the iPhone and Android camps planning a move to BlackBerry. We'll see if BlackBerry 6 can solve this little problem for RIM, but the few tweaks we've seen so far seem hardly capable of stemming the flow.

I would like to rewind the clock, to when a long-distance call cost 2 or three bucks. Then we would stop bothering the daylights out of each other 24/7, and live in quiet peace.

Didn't have the welfare state....everybody pulled their weight...gee, our old La Salle ran great...THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

• 2 months later...

I agree, which is why I pointed to RIM's numbers in my comment. Comparing RIM's marketshare to Apple's marketshare gives as close of a picture as possible at this point.

Indeed. RIM falls behind Apple and the 3% gap is growing. (And that's worldwide.)

http://theappleblog.com/2010/10/22/apple-passes-rim-in-global-smartphone-share/

RIM needs a savior but one is not coming. Once the iPhone goes to Verizon in 2011, RIM will be in a brown out. They suffer from not realizing anywhere soon enough that the Android/iPhone models are what people want. Simply making a phone with email capabilities is an old goal. Most people want portable communication/Web/Entertainment systems.

RIM will get bought and down-sized into someone else before long. They have their legacy loyalists.

Simply making a phone with email capabilities is an old goal. Most people want portable communication/Web/Entertainment systems.

Apparently they suffer from lack of marketing if you don't know that the Blackberry is a communication/Web/Entertainment system.

Apparently they suffer from lack of marketing if you don't know that the Blackberry is a communication/Web/Entertainment system.

Having the capability and doing it in a way that anyone cares to use are different things. The iPhone and Android OSes are a pleasure to use. I'd rather cut my eyes out than use a brick-berry.

Edited by Peace

I like the looks of the new Windows phone. Might have to give it a try. Just got a Vibrant not to long ago though.

By Windows.. do you mean Droid? My phone is acting up and I was looking to get a new one the other day. [Rant: I have to sign a 2 year contract to get a phone. But, 1.5 years in my phone craps out. Can I just get a new phone? NO. I have to pay $60 for the privilege of "breaking" my contract so I can buy a new phone AND get a new 2 year contract! Stupid!!] So at any rate, I looked at a new Droid phone. It took me about 2 or 3 minutes just to figure out how to dial a new phone call. It seemed entirely too clunky and piss poor. So, I put it down and walked out. Still using my old phone.