New Iphone can do everything but make phone calls

Fingon

Not really. My roommates back in Austin had Verzion and had spotty coverage, whereas I was fine with AT&T. It's all about where you are located.

I left Verizon FOR AT&T about 6 years ago because of the crappy reception and calls cutting out. Granted, maybe Verizon is better now but I can tell you that at the time of the switch, I was thrilled with the change.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left Verizon FOR AT&T about 6 years ago because of the crappy reception and calls cutting out. Granted, maybe Verizon is better now but I can tell you that at the time of the switch, I was thrilled with the change.

It's not a maybe, its a definite.

Numbers for Q1 2010:

Symbian - 44.3%

RIM - 19.4%

iPhone - 15.4%

Android - 9.6%

Windows Mobile - 6.8%

BTW, sales numbers for Q1 2010 in the US according to NPD Group:

RIM - 36%

Android - 28%

iPhone - 21%

I think you're making my case, not yours.

In Q1, RIM sold 10M units or so. Apple sold about 9M units in a quarter where smarter consumers were holding out for the iPhone4 that was coming soon. Worldwide. Sure, 1M unit difference. But RIM has a huge huge lead in this market--a market Apple hasn't been selling internationally in for all that long--and Apple is poised to pass them in a year or 2.

To the guy defending Microsoft, you're making my point too. Windows 7 is a good OS. But it took several iterations of lousy ones t oget there. The Zune is a bust. Windows Mobile is too. Their phone ventures are going nowhere. Bing might work but it has a tough game of catch up to Google. XBox is working out. I am not rooting against MS. I root for it--but a culture of complacency and lack of valuable (happy now?) innovation set in at MS and they have to seek to overcome that. Maybe they are doing that. I hope so. It would be sad to see an industry leader like them crumble.

To the guy defending Microsoft, you're making my point too. Windows 7 is a good OS. But it took several iterations of lousy ones t oget there. The Zune is a bust. Windows Mobile is too. Their phone ventures are going nowhere. Bing might work but it has a tough game of catch up to Google. XBox is working out. I am not rooting against MS. I root for it--but a culture of complacency and lack of valuable (happy now?) innovation set in at MS and they have to seek to overcome that. Maybe they are doing that. I hope so. It would be sad to see an industry leader like them crumble.

I'm not defending Microsoft as much as pointing out that your choice of words (complacent) isn't really accurate...

Are you really saying that their crappy handset is what makes them attractive to corporate users?

BB is trying, trust me, to make a handset that compete with the consumer monsters. For whatever reason, they can't.

I see RIM as Microsoft-ey. They are complacent with their lead because so many companies are married to them but it can't last if they don't start making better products. I have a few friends who are forced to have blackberries but also own Incredibles or iPhones because they hate their Blackberries(Eventually, one convinced his corporate IT department to let him test run the iPhone using Exchange...it was so successful that they now allow emplyees to choose the Blackberry or iPhone. Probably happening in many workplaces. Ours bypassed Blackberries completely, and corporate security is VIP here.

Never said anything about their crappy handset is what makes them attractive to corporate users. I think I said that IT heads prefer to use the devices because of better integration. Nice to see that your IT department is doing ok with the iPhones. I don't think you can repeat that claim across companies with a lot of employees.

RIM also benefits from the way its servers process data, which eases the strains on carriers' data networks. For that reason, you will always find BBs on each carrier's shelf. So for them to solidify their position, all they need to do, if they really want to, is to produce an iPhone clone with RIM OS.

In Q1, RIM sold 10M units or so. Apple sold about 9M units in a quarter where smarter consumers were holding out for the iPhone4 that was coming soon. Worldwide. Sure, 1M unit difference. But RIM has a huge huge lead in this market--a market Apple hasn't been selling internationally in for all that long--and Apple is poised to pass them in a year or 2.

I love the verbage. "Working out" A little more than that I would think with total sales of Live being over 1 Billion this year.

http://www.reelseo.com/video-pushes-xbox-live-sales/

Anyway, I can never understand the fan boy mentality when it comes to commercial companies. I think its great Apple brought out a great product in the iphone. It really has given the other manufacturers a kick in the ass. Some great Android phones coming out now and according to some, Apple is now in a position of catch up. And this is a good thing because now Apple has to rethink a little and the next phone from them might be the best thing ever. For me the only thing that makes me resent Apple is not the company itself but the annoying smugness of their customers aka fanboys. Zune a bust? Perhaps, as far as market share goes. But I'll never go back too Apple Itunes. Elegant software, Zune Pass is the only way to go. I will say one thing, Microsoft really ought to take a look at their marketing strategy to get the good products out there.

I love the verbage. "Working out" A little more than that I would think with total sales of Live being over 1 Billion this year.

http://www.reelseo.com/video-pushes-xbox-live-sales/

Anyway, I can never understand the fan boy mentality when it comes to commercial companies. I think its great Apple brought out a great product in the iphone. It really has given the other manufacturers a kick in the ass. Some great Android phones coming out now and according to some, Apple is now in a position of catch up. And this is a good thing because now Apple has to rethink a little and the next phone from them might be the best thing ever. For me the only thing that makes me resent Apple is not the company itself but the annoying smugness of their customers aka fanboys. Zune a bust? Perhaps, as far as market share goes. But I'll never go back too Apple Itunes. Elegant software, Zune Pass is the only way to go. I will say one thing, Microsoft really ought to take a look at their marketing strategy to get the good products out there.

So you're the guy who bought a Zune?

I have an XBox. Live does nothing for me because I don't feel like playing video games with strangers. Obviously it's been successful. So yes, it's working out. Ask Sony or Nintendo (or Sega or Atari or Coleco) how the wind blows in gaming though. Being #1 is fleeting in the console market.

Take a look at the numbers again. Apple's stagnant, RIM & Android are growing at the price of Symbian.

No they (Verizon) are not. They are great everywhere BUT my house! :devil::w00t: I can call anywhere else and not have a problem! Granted, I have a 4 year old phone that probably needs upgrading... Yet, I have a land line at home... So I do not care what kind of cell reception I get on my street. Anyway, there is a tower relatively close... All I can figure out is that I need a new phone/software. ??

Take a look at the numbers again. Apple's stagnant, RIM & Android are growing at the price of Symbian.

Apple makes a single phone (imagine if they made multiple types like their competitors!). That was the quarter before everyone knew the new iPhone was coming out. Do you think that had something to do with slow growth for a single quarter?

Care to guess what happened in June/July?

Apple makes a single phone (imagine if they made multiple types like their competitors!). That was the quarter before everyone knew the new iPhone was coming out. Do you think that had something to do with slow growth for a single quarter?

If they made multiple types... No doubt the company would go downhill. IMO, people buy Apple products for style, not function or cost. Gotta admit, they have quite a racket going and know how people like to be like others!

"Come on back down earth, son

Dig the low, low, low, low lowdown

You ain't got to be so bad got to be so cold

This dog eat dog existence sure is getting old

Got to have a Jones for this Jones for that

This running with the Joneses boy

Just ain't where it's at

You gonna come back around

To the sad, sad truth, the dirty lowdown"

It is also about proprietary rights with Apple... It can get big for a while, in the end it can't sustain a closed culture... Once they get big and the top-dog, I hope people find ways to start hacking into them more. Let freedom ring! :devil:

Not to mention I don't see too many buy one get one free offers on them...

Whose fault is it that they make only one type? That's their whole business strategy, you can't play "what ifs" with that. It's their choice.

And I don't agree with the argument that the iPhone 4 caused a huge jump in their global market share. 77% of all iPhone 4 buyers were upgraders.

BTW, that 77% number is *way* lower for new customers than the previous iPhone launches, which were at 56% in 2009 and 38% in 2008.

Whose fault is it that they make only one type? That's their whole business strategy, you can't play "what ifs" with that. It's their choice.

And I don't agree with the argument that the iPhone 4 caused a huge jump in their global market share. 77% of all iPhone 4 buyers were upgraders.

BTW, that 77% number is *way* lower for new customers than the previous iPhone launches, which were at 56% in 2009 and 38% in 2008.

You :devil: Jobs

To be fair, the same can be said for OS X.

At least half my office uses iPhones with Exchange integration. Zero complaints. The people who opted for the Blackberries hate them.

Just because it doesn't happen for you doesn't mean there isn't an issue. Apple had to release a config profile to address this issue:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3398

On the ironic side, Apple supports the digital signing of configuration profiles since they can make important changes to how your device operates, but yet the chose not to sign their profile.

You are really exposing yourself as an Apple-apologist. As GG pointed out, Apple's business enterprise software is bunk. Until that changes (and it probably won't as the business sector is not Apple's primary market)...

Actually that is an understatement. Their Active Directory integration sucks and they don't care. They'll do their standard, it's MS fault. From the IT perspective, in an corporate environment users having to use iTunes to maintain the phone ridiculous.

in an corporate environment using having to use iTunes to maintain the phone ridiculous.

Bingo. That's the key reason that, although we're trying out the iPhone at my company, I opted against it. If your company runs Macs, then great. But iTunes on Windows (especially Vista) is terrible, IMHO.

Everyone I've talked to who opted for the iPhone at my company loves the toys it gives - but hates the email integration and the lack of notification when you have new email messages (using GOOD; not sure if there are better solutions or not).

I still love my Blackberry Bold, but I don't care about all of the games and stuff that are available on an iPhone.