New Iphone can do everything but make phone calls

Fingon

Side note: Anybody find it strange the route Apple has taken with regard to intellectual property rights and how Jobs/Wozniak raised their first bucks ripping off Ma Bell... Now AT&T and Apple are in bed together.

Sorry about the anti-Apple rip... Carry on with your stupid phone and a company founded on hypocrisy. And everybody thinks that this is perfectly normal and forgiveable?

I wish them best of luck!

:censored:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the 10, or so, friends I know who use an iPhone (3G or 4G), at least 6 of them carry another phone in order to make calls. Not a business phone, mind you, but a phone that actually works as a phone. And it isn't just AT&T as these alternate phones are usually on the AT&T network, too.

I know at least 50 people with iPhones and it's their only phone. Most have no landline.

I know at least 50 people with iPhones and it's their only phone. Most have no landline.

My company recently switched from T-Mobile to AT&T. With T-Mobile, everyone had a Blackberry Pearl. As part of the switch, everyone in the company had a choice of getting an iPhone or a Blackberry Bold.

Almost everyone I've talked to who took the iPhone is wishing that they had taken the Bold...

to be fair, they say that the non-work stuff is great - all of the apps, web browsing, etc. But as a work tool, they hate it compared to the Blackberry - calls drop, and email integration with Exchange sucks.

But everyone says it's a neat toy. :censored:

My company recently switched from T-Mobile to AT&T. With T-Mobile, everyone had a Blackberry Pearl. As part of the switch, everyone in the company had a choice of getting an iPhone or a Blackberry Bold.

Almost everyone I've talked to who took the iPhone is wishing that they had taken the Bold...

to be fair, they say that the non-work stuff is great - all of the apps, web browsing, etc. But as a work tool, they hate it compared to the Blackberry - calls drop, and email integration with Exchange sucks.

At least half my office uses iPhones with Exchange integration. Zero complaints. The people who opted for the Blackberries hate them.

I suspect RIM won't be around much longer if they don't start getting real hardware. HTC and Apple are eating their lunch. Only momentum is sustaining Blackberries at this point.

My Blackberry was a huge piece of crap. They'd have to make big changes for me to even consider another one. I've never had an iPhone but ATT'S network is so bad that it's not an option.

My Blackberry was a huge piece of crap. They'd have to make big changes for me to even consider another one. I've never had an iPhone but ATT'S network is so bad that it's not an option.

Which one did you have? I wasn't a big fan of the Pearl -- the ball used to break every few months which sucked. The Bold seems really good though -- I like it a lot, although I've only had it for ~4 months.

At least half my office uses iPhones with Exchange integration. Zero complaints. The people who opted for the Blackberries hate them.

What are they using for corporate integration? They use "Good" here, which is apparently anything but good. It takes a long time to send/receive emails from it and there's no notification that you have new corporate mail. Those are the two things I hear people complain about the most. Maybe there are better solutions than "Good?"

I opted for the BB because I hate iTunes on a PC, and didn't want to have to install it and put my credit card information into it (corporate requirement for the iPhone). That, and I wasn't a fan of the interface of the 2G iPod Touch I had.

I suspect RIM won't be around much longer if they don't start getting real hardware. HTC and Apple are eating their lunch. Only momentum is sustaining Blackberries at this point.

The only way that will happen is if somehow Apple or Google convince the major IT heads that their enterprise software is as safe & reliable as RIM's. Don't see that happening on the horizon. Shoot, even Microsoft couldn't crack the corporate walls.

The only way that will happen is if somehow Apple or Google convince the major IT heads that their enterprise software is as safe & reliable as RIM's. Don't see that happening on the horizon. Shoot, even Microsoft couldn't crack the corporate walls.

RIM is sticking around because of momentum and established infrastructure. Nothing more at this point. People are abandoning it whenever they get a chance.

RIM is sticking around because of momentum and established infrastructure. Nothing more at this point. People are abandoning it whenever they get a chance.

You are really exposing yourself as an Apple-apologist. As GG pointed out, Apple's business enterprise software is bunk. Until that changes (and it probably won't as the business sector is not Apple's primary market), then RIM will continue it's market dominance in corporate settings.

Try not making gross generalizations like "People are abandoning it whenever they get a chance". I don't know of one major corporation that has made their employees switch from the BB BES to Apple.

BBs are not made for general public consumption. Maybe they'll create a handset that the general public will like, but it's not in their DNA. That established infrastructure is critical to their stranglehold on the corporate market.

BBs are not made for general public consumption. Maybe they'll create a handset that the general public will like, but it's not in their DNA. That established infrastructure is critical to their stranglehold on the corporate market.

Are you really saying that their crappy handset is what makes them attractive to corporate users?

BB is trying, trust me, to make a handset that compete with the consumer monsters. For whatever reason, they can't.

I see RIM as Microsoft-ey. They are complacent with their lead because so many companies are married to them but it can't last if they don't start making better products. I have a few friends who are forced to have blackberries but also own Incredibles or iPhones because they hate their Blackberries(Eventually, one convinced his corporate IT department to let him test run the iPhone using Exchange...it was so successful that they now allow emplyees to choose the Blackberry or iPhone. Probably happening in many workplaces. Ours bypassed Blackberries completely, and corporate security is VIP here.

Are you really saying that their crappy handset is what makes them attractive to corporate users?

BB is trying, trust me, to make a handset that compete with the consumer monsters. For whatever reason, they can't.

I see RIM as Microsoft-ey. They are complacent with their lead because so many companies are married to them but it can't last if they don't start making better products. I have a few friends who are forced to have blackberries but also own Incredibles or iPhones because they hate their Blackberries(Eventually, one convinced his corporate IT department to let him test run the iPhone using Exchange...it was so successful that they now allow emplyees to choose the Blackberry or iPhone. Probably happening in many workplaces. Ours bypassed Blackberries completely, and corporate security is VIP here.

That's stupid. Windows 7 is almost universally heralded as the best Windows ever made.

That's stupid. Windows 7 is almost universally heralded as the best Windows ever made.

The "It's cool to hate Microsoft" thing is something I recently said is making me root for them. But you can't deny that they are a model for a complacent company over the last decade.

The "It's cool to hate Microsoft" thing is something I recently said is making me root for them. But you can't deny that they are a model for a complacent company over the last decade.

Yeah, they've been really complacent...

Except for the Xbox. And the Xbox360. And Xbox Live. And the Zune. And Windows7. And Microsoft Roundtable (which is actually REALLY cool). And the Kin (flop, yes, but not complacent). The list goes on.

If anything, it seems like MS is trying to create more than just acquire nowadays (with the exception of Roundtable, I believe). They're not always successful, but that's not the point - they're trying new things.

And I think the "cool to hate Microsoft" thing actually died off 5-10 years ago...

You need to take a look at the worldwide market. In April, RIM just replaced Motorola as the #5 Worldwide Phone Manufacturer. Apple is also experiencing ups-and-downs in it's worldwide growth. In Q4 2009, it's share of the worldwide phone market slipped 1.5%.

The world market is a LOT different from the US market. In the world, Symbian is the most popular OS for a smartphone, by far. At the end of 2009, Symbian had 47% of the global market. You'll be hard-pressed to find a Symbian-wielding smartphone here in the US.

RIM ended with 19.9% global market share, up from 16.6% in 2008. The iPhone made a nice jump (8.2% to 14.4%), and so did Android (.5% to 3.5%). These jumps came at the cost of Symbian (52% to 47%) and Windows Mobile (11.8% to 8.7%).

Numbers for Q1 2010:

Symbian - 44.3%

RIM - 19.4%

iPhone - 15.4%

Android - 9.6%

Windows Mobile - 6.8%

BTW, sales numbers for Q1 2010 in the US according to NPD Group:

RIM - 36%

Android - 28%

iPhone - 21%

Going to get my EVO tomorrow. I have a droid with Verizon, but having gigantic hands, I'm thinking the EVO might work better for me. I have 30 days to decide to keep it or give it back. I'll be able to compare the 2 for a month.

You literally couldn't pay me to use AT&T. I mean that. If someone said, here's an iPhone and it's the phone you have to use, and I'll pay the bill and give you $100 a month, I wouldn't take it. I had the iPhone 3G and, silly me, I got sick of having to place a mark on my desk in my office where it HAD to sit to get 1 bar of reception.

It's 2010. Verizon and Sprint have figured it out. Does AT&T not realize that once the iPhone is not longer theirs exclusively, they are !@#$ed? They better do whatever it takes to to keep that deal with Apple.

Just unbelievable that people still put up with it.

It all depends where you live. Here in San Antonio, I have no problems with AT&T.

and that's the whole point! No matter where I've ever been - VA Beach, NYC, San Diego, NJ, Long Island, Frederickburg, Lakeland FL (middle of nowhere), Tucson, Phoenix, etc, etc, etc... I've NEVER had a problem with Verizon. It's great that you get good reception in San Antonio, but it doesn't justify the fact that it doesn't work AT ALL in many small cities, and very spotty in places as big as NYC and SF!

In the world, Symbian is the most popular OS for a smartphone, by far. At the end of 2009, Symbian had 47% of the global market. You'll be hard-pressed to find a Symbian-wielding smartphone here in the US.

You know, Symbian really is an awesome OS for a phone. I had a phone with that OS many years ago, and it was great - true multitasking (unlike the iPhone) and a decent number of apps back in the day.

This was the phone, although I don't remember the model number anymore:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009J5VV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Not sure why they don't do well in the States...

and that's the whole point! No matter where I've ever been - VA Beach, NYC, San Diego, NJ, Long Island, Frederickburg, Lakeland FL (middle of nowhere), Tucson, Phoenix, etc, etc, etc... I've NEVER had a problem with Verizon. It's great that you get good reception in San Antonio, but it doesn't justify the fact that it doesn't work AT ALL in many small cities, and very spotty in places as big as NYC and SF!

Not really. My roommates back in Austin had Verzion and had spotty coverage, whereas I was fine with AT&T. It's all about where you are located.