CJ SPILLER( Hard not to like)

IMO everyday it gets harder and harder not to like the kid. He really seems to have his head on straight. I put a link to the entire article but Spillers comments really stood out to me. Good job by the Bills though bringing in high school athletes to learn from the "pros" :)

“The main thing I told them about is academics because that’s where it starts at,” said Bills running back CJ Spiller. “If you don’t take care of the grades, all of your time on the football field and all of that work is going to go to waste. I have a lot of guys in my hometown that had tremendous talent, but they didn’t get it done in the classroom and they’re still sitting there. You don’t have to be 4.0 students but if you try your best, and give it everything you’ve got, you’ll be fine.”

Spiller backs up his talk. He could have left Clemson University a year early for the NFL, however he stayed in school and graduated with a degree in sociology.

------------------------

Spiller said, “You just have to surround yourself with good people. If you do that, everything else will take care of itself."

Linky Thingy

I genuinely think Spiller's attitude and personality put him over the top with Nix, Modrak, Ralph, Gailey etc when they were deciding if they really want to go RB with the 11th pick. The fans and teammates and the city are very likely gonna love this guy.

FYI, it was the 9th pick. But I agree with everything you said, I love me some Spiller!!

It is both interesating that Marv Levy came in stressing character as an important piece to building a team. He picked Lynch and the current regime picked Spiller. I wonder which one has more character.

here we go.

first off, Levy stressed "FOOTBALL CHARACTER", not choir boy character. he wanted to get rid of guys like McGahee and bring in people who were football players at heart. Levy coached during the era when we had the hardest partying, hoodlum team in franchise history. but all those guys showed up to play every week, and everyday. they all loved playing football.

second, it's well known that the Lynch pick came on directive from Ralph.

third, we NEEDED a RB badly and Lynch was the best available when we drafted.

now, i agree that Spiller is a wonderful find and an upstanding young man, but we need to stop looking backwards so much.

here we go.

first off, Levy stressed "FOOTBALL CHARACTER", not choir boy character. he wanted to get rid of guys like McGahee and bring in people who were football players at heart. Levy coached during the era when we had the hardest partying, hoodlum team in franchise history. but all those guys showed up to play every week, and everyday. they all loved playing football.

much.

I have to disagree. An example of Marv's thoughts about character is captured in the following quote:

"Ability without character will lose. The Bills are going to be a team of high character. That stamp I will push very hard. I hope we can convey that to our fans and project something very special to the rest of the nation."

That statement has no ambiguity in it nor does it suggest that he supported "football character."

While the team notoriously gathered at Kelly's house to party after games where do you come up with the idea they were a "hoodlum team?" Agreed, not all of them were ready to be sainted but neither were they that bad.

Finally, comparing Lynch with Spiller was not simply "looking back." Rather, it takes two current players and compares where they are relative to the notion of character. I find it sad that lynch is the shining example of exactly what Marv Levy was looking to avoid. A player loaded with talent that becomes a liability to his team due to a lack of character.

BTW - I normally agree with what you post.

I have to disagree. An example of Marv's thoughts about character is captured in the following quote:

"Ability without character will lose. The Bills are going to be a team of high character. That stamp I will push very hard. I hope we can convey that to our fans and project something very special to the rest of the nation."

That statement has no ambiguity in it nor does it suggest that he supported "football character."

While the team notoriously gathered at Kelly's house to party after games where do you come up with the idea they were a "hoodlum team?" Agreed, not all of them were ready to be sainted but neither were they that bad.

Finally, comparing Lynch with Spiller was not simply "looking back." Rather, it takes two current players and compares where they are relative to the notion of character. I find it sad that lynch is the shining example of exactly what Marv Levy was looking to avoid. A player loaded with talent that becomes a liability to his team due to a lack of character.

BTW - I normally agree with what you post.

I dont read that quote the same way. We'll agree to disagree, but I also remember quotes from Marv talking about Football Character and getting guys that want to show up and work, and who define themselves as being Football Players.

When I think about it, either way you read it, I wont disagree that Lynch has become an example of what Marv was trying to avoid. I dont like the way Lynch is handling this either. Anyway you slice it, it's extremely unprofessional and immature.

BUT, I still want to see him make a come back as our bruiser back to offset Spiller. And I believe he would have a better shot at that than Jackson, if he would just pull his head out of his ass.

wrt the bolded... Jim Kelly beat up women in bars. Bruce Smith was a coke head. Biscuit ended up raping a girl. Thurman Thomas was an alcoholic, and a general A-hole when out in public. They lost Super Bowls because they spent the prior week drinking and doing blow and were hungover for the games.

if the internet and Information Age had been around back then, we would have been all over ESPN's headlines for the wrong reasons and the board would have been screaming.

they were hoodlums. they were messes off the field. but it didnt matter back then because they were winning, and 24-hour news channels didnt have their noses in everyones trash yet.

I dont read that quote the same way. We'll agree to disagree, but I also remember quotes from Marv talking about Football Character and getting guys that want to show up and work, and who define themselves as being Football Players.

When I think about it, either way you read it, I wont disagree that Lynch has become an example of what Marv was trying to avoid. I dont like the way Lynch is handling this either. Anyway you slice it, it's extremely unprofessional and immature.

BUT, I still want to see him make a come back as our bruiser back to offset Spiller. And I believe he would have a better shot at that than Jackson, if he would just pull his head out of his ass.

wrt the bolded... Jim Kelly beat up women in bars. Bruce Smith was a coke head. Biscuit ended up raping a girl. Thurman Thomas was an alcoholic, and a general A-hole when out in public. They lost Super Bowls because they spent the prior week drinking and doing blow and were hungover for the games.

if the internet and Information Age had been around back then, we would have been all over ESPN's headlines for the wrong reasons and the board would have been screaming.

they were hoodlums. they were messes off the field. but it didnt matter back then because they were winning, and 24-hour news channels didnt have their noses in everyones trash yet.

A lot of truth here- people will let things go if the team is winning and the player involved is a star.

IMO everyday it gets harder and harder not to like the kid. He really seems to have his head on straight. I put a link to the entire article but Spillers comments really stood out to me. Good job by the Bills though bringing in high school athletes to learn from the "pros" :)

“The main thing I told them about is academics because that’s where it starts at,” said Bills running back CJ Spiller. “If you don’t take care of the grades, all of your time on the football field and all of that work is going to go to waste. I have a lot of guys in my hometown that had tremendous talent, but they didn’t get it done in the classroom and they’re still sitting there. You don’t have to be 4.0 students but if you try your best, and give it everything you’ve got, you’ll be fine.”

Spiller backs up his talk. He could have left Clemson University a year early for the NFL, however he stayed in school and graduated with a degree in sociology.

------------------------

Spiller said, “You just have to surround yourself with good people. If you do that, everything else will take care of itself."

Linky Thingy

SEE!!! Even Spiller knows its all about the OL!!!

;)

I am serious though.

------------------------

Linky Thingy

Yup, he's a good kid. So is Hardy, though, even though I didn't think so at first. I need to see it on the field from both guys. Still, it's nice to see. Thanks for posting the article.

It is both interesating that Marv Levy came in stressing character as an important piece to building a team. He picked Lynch and the current regime picked Spiller. I wonder which one has more character.

I think Marv was confused, and knew Marshawn IS a character.

Age can do that to a guy.

Just bought my new SPILLER jersey. It is going to replace my Lynch jersey that a bought before I knew he was a complete fool.

My prediction is Spiller will

(1) Beat CJ's rushing record wthin 3 years.

(2) Most likely be rookie of the year

(3) Led us into the playoffs this year.

(4) Have the most combined yards ever as a rookie

(5) Have the most td's scored for any running back in a season (I think LT has the record)