***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My new rooting interest. Wish I was watching the game now. Listening on the radio.

Also pulling for Germany.

I'm Dutch heritage, so they've been my main horse. In all the matches I've seen of them, I don't notice much flopping on their part. Just tough play and nice attack.

An article today:

Link

The days when FIFA, soccer's governing body, could ignore technology as a way to improve officiating are already numbered. The change won't happen at this tournament, but not too long after, FIFA boss Sepp Blatter and his henchmen will yield to pressure and reverse the organization's decades-long stance.

They'll likely start by allowing reviews in goal-scoring situations only, employing either instant replay, a device like the "Hawkeye" used for line calls in tennis, or embedding a chip in the ball that signals when it's crossed the line. Then, like all the major sports, the technology will take over more and more decisions.

Heartily disagree that it will "make the game worse." Having at least some recourse for blatantly blown calls can't be bad.

Shocking. Listening to the NED-SVK game on radio and the announcer admitted to not seeing the second goal in real time because the TV was showing the replay.

WTF? The radio guys aren't watching the game but are watching TV? They didn't even try to hide the fact. They said, "We didn't see what lead to this goal because the TV feed was still on the replay of the play before." Jesus H ESPN. That's embarrassing.

Glad to see NED advance. And looking forward to Brazil later. Always fun to see them.

Heartily disagree that it will "make the game worse." Having at least some recourse for blatantly blown calls can't be bad.

On the goals, it would be great. Leave offsides to the refs. Would also be good to institute some penalty (mandatory sub perhaps) whenever the ref has to stop play for an "injury."

I'm Dutch heritage, so they've been my main horse. In all the matches I've seen of them, I don't notice much flopping on their part. Just tough play and nice attack.

An article today:

Link

Dutch have a nice team. Probably overall the best performing this year. Sneijder and Robben lead their teams to the CL finals.

That being said, there has never been a European nation to win the WC outside of Europe. I'm sure it will end up going to Brazil.

Is it though? They very rarely show replays of controversial calls at The Ralph.

that usually depends which way the replay favors. if it's for the Bills, they show it. thats part of homefield advantage. if it is a questionable play for the other team, they dont show it so the opposing coach has to risk the red flag.

regardless, thats not so bad considering that at least the teams still have the chance to throw the flag. there is still some accountability. there is still the option of getting it right.

what FIFA is doing is, instead of simply adding a goal judge, theyre going in the opposite direction of fixing the problem and saying "we're going to hide our eyes, and EVERYONE ELSES instead"

My favorite thing of this whole World Cup was when the British goalie let in the cheap goal against the US, and all the announcers ever since kept calling it & other mess-ups a howler. :lol:

Never heard it used before that I can remember, but howler is classic, I wish announcers from other sports used it:

Webber calls time-out, what a howler! :)

Buckner misses the ball, what a howler! :lol:

Norwood, wide right, what a howler!

well, maybe not the last one.....

I'm on board, for the sake of our 22 year old Brazilian babysitter. :)

They don't need support. They are by far the best team. Dunga was being criticized because his team is to technical. I used to think Brazil could always be beaten because of their weakness in defense. Lucio-Juan pairing, that's world class right there.

They don't need support. They are by far the best team. Dunga was being criticized because his team is to technical. I used to think Brazil could always be beaten because of their weakness in defense. Lucio-Juan pairing, that's world class right there.

Yep, Brazil, historically speaking, was always weak on the defensive end, a trend that ended 15 years ago. Not only they kept producing great players for the midfield and the attack, but they developed big guys with talent for the defense. Lucio must be one the better defenders in the game today.

Brazil defense is very tough to break and Julio Cesar is one hell of a goalkeeper.

I hate those guys but you have to respect them.

Why not have a goal judge like hockey...he can sit behind the net on a folding chair....read a book, while the play is on the other end....put it down when they cross midfield.....

That's what they're going to introduce.

Of course, they won't introduce it in the WC without testing it in the leagues.

What's laughable is the FA was against goal line technology. Guess they regret their stance now eh.

NYT: FIFA president apologizes for refereeing errors

England and Mexico’s misfortunes prompted a previously recalcitrant Sepp Blatter, the president of FIFA, to apologize on Tuesday for refereeing errors and to announce he would reopen the discussion about the use of goal-line technology in soccer.

Note that this is not necessarily a video replay system. In the offing is a 'Hawkeye' system (as used in tennis) for soccer or a chip embedded in the ball that goes off when it passes the goal line.

Also has been said that a referee assistant might be used to help police the field better. I've thought this for a long time --- that's a hell of a lot of area for one dude to cover. NFL has, what, 8 people in a crew for a field that's close to a third the size?

NYT: FIFA president apologizes for refereeing errors

Note that this is not necessarily a video replay system. In the offing is a 'Hawkeye' system (as used in tennis) for soccer or a chip embedded in the ball that goes off when it passes the goal line.

Also has been said that a referee assistant might be used to help police the field better. I've thought this for a long time --- that's a hell of a lot of area for one dude to cover. NFL has, what, 8 people in a crew for a field that's close to a third the size?

NFL is much more complex.

I understand the anti-instant replay point of view. You can't start debating judgement calls but there has to be a way they can improve the policing of the game without slowing it down.

An NFL type challenge system would not work.