Was Schobel that good?

The guy was fast off the edge and I can still see him intercepting the Brady throw and running in for a touchdown last year in the first game and it could be that he was on teams that were not real good for an entire decade.

I, however, don't feel as if he was that great. I never heard of him being a great leader in the lockerroom, his sacks weren't exactly timely or clutch, and it seemed like he was injured quite a bit especially during the last two or three years.

He was a solid Bill and played hard when he was in there but this does not seem like as big a loss as the media is making it. Hope I don't have to eat these words.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy was fast off the edge and I can still see him intercepting the Brady throw and running in for a touchdown last year in the first game and it could be that he was on teams that were not real good for an entire decade.

I, however, don't feel as if he was that great. I never heard of him being a great leader in the lockerroom, his sacks weren't exactly timely or clutch, and it seemed like he was injured quite a bit especially during the last two or three years.

He was a solid Bill and played hard when he was in there but this does not seem like as big a loss as the media is making it. Hope I don't have to eat these words.

How many sacks did he have last year? Career? Compare his numbers to some peers the last ten years... If he wasn't in buffalo, this would be a nightly special on sportcenter, but he's a quiet guy, buffalo is a small town with losing team. If he put the same numbers up in NE, NY etc and went to the playoffs a few times, and was a better interview.... we'd be asking if he was a hof player if he sticks around a few more years instead of if he was that good.

He got sacks on a team that was rarely ahead...he was THAT good!!!

+1

Ask Bruce Smith how much he enjoyed playing with leads all the time. Makes a BIG difference when you make a team one-dimensional. As you pointed out, Schobel rarely had that luxury.

Schobel is the 2nd best DE we've ever had. Period. And that's saying something because we've had some good ones throughout the years.

GO BILLS!!!

Was Schobel that good?

Yeah, he was. That's the bottom line. Consistently the best player on the Bills defense at the most physically difficult position in a 4 - 3. He forced teams to game-plan against him at a time when we had nobody else on defense that required teams to worry about them.

Was he a Bruce Smith? Hell, no, but he has never claimed to be, and has never really blown his own horn.

But was he an excellent player consistently throughout a career with few injuries outside 2008? Yeah, he really was. On a successful team, especially a team that hadn't had a Bruce Smith type of guy against whom everyone is compared, and most especially if he had been on a team with two or three other top defenders to draw attention, he would be feted. Here and under these conditions, he's pooh-poohed. But not by opposing offenses.

After he went out in 2008 I couldn't stand watching opposing QBs sit back in the pocket, survey the field, have a sandwich, and throw a completion. I didn't see that last year when he was back.

It's not just the sacks that made him so important. He consistently limited the time the QB had to survey the field. Sacks are important but often overrated. Even when Schobel didn't get to the QB he still made the mental clock tick a tock faster, b/c that QB knew he had to get rid of the ball.

Schobel is as smart as any player on the field. I dont doubt that his physical abilities are up to par for the top players at his position. I say yes, he really is (was) that good.

I honestly think that doubting his abilities and relative value in the league means you cant tell a football from a daschund.

Schobel is as smart as any player on the field. I dont doubt that his physical abilities are up to par for the top players at his position. I say yes, he really is (was) that good.

I honestly think that doubting his abilities and relative value in the league means you cant tell a football from a daschund.

A dachshund is a dog right? Don't make stupid remarks like that.

Why was he as smart as any player on the field? Who was he as smart as and smarter than?

why is eeryone saying he was so classy? im not saying he was classless but he was neither friendly nor nice. He was a good DE but was kind of not that important the last 4 seasons. Last years 10 sacks arent a big deal, he racked up 3 sacks in the ATL game we were getting romped in. THe guy picked up stats in game situations that meant nothing, maybe he couldve received more appreciation if the team did better, but they didnt. maybe a few timely sacks instead of garbage time couldve changed that.

To play on a bunch of mediocre teams without an opposite outside rusher I think Schobel did an outstanding job; rather you like as a person or not (to those who hate the fact he has won't give you all his autograph!)

Bottom line: if a player leaves the team without being cut; definitely under his own accord, he either sucks, is over rated, or won't be missed by at least 75% on board. If we bring in a scrub free agent/low draft pick on the cheap and he makes 1-2 plays then he will be graded as a homerun hit by 75% on board; JUST KEEPING IT REAL! <_<

He was damm good. He played on mostly lousy teams and he still excelled.

He leadership is without question. If we had more Schobel's we would have won more games. He will be missed.

Schobel was a very solid defensive end. Nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately, there were few other solid players during his tenure here. I appreciated his effort and his leading by example, although I'm not upset that he's leaving since I think his best days are behind him and he's lost his passion for the game. Being coached by Dick Jauron for four years will do that for you.

Schobel was a very solid defensive end. Nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately, there were few other solid players during his tenure here. I appreciated his effort and his leading by example, although I'm not upset that he's leaving since I think his best days are behind him and he's lost his passion for the game. Being coached by Dick Jauron for four years will do that for you.

Best summary yet on this topic. He was very good, but some of the posts (he'd have been a HOFer on another team??) are a little over the top.

why is eeryone saying he was so classy?

Apparently the standard for "classy" in the NFL is anyone who doesn't get arrested for drugs, guns, wife beating/rape or running over people with your car.

When Aaron Schobel is the best player of the decade, your team does not make the playoffs. Would be a great second or third best player on defense, but did not provide the leadership in the locker room, practice field to make the team better.

I thought he was so overrated at times I talked myself into thinking he sucked. Then I'd rewatch the games on tivo and realize he was constantly making plays. His pass rushing was obviously well regarded, but he made so many hustle tackles downfield in the run game and had so many forced fumbles (the Jets game in 2008 comes to mind as a particularly great strip) that I think his every down play was underappreciated.

At the end of the day, he was a very solid player, but hardly the difference-maker you'd expect given his 10-12-14 sack seasons. The numbers made him seem more than he really was. If he was so good how come you never see any of your buddies in #94 jerseys at the games?

Best summary yet on this topic. He was very good, but some of the posts (he'd have been a HOFer on another team??) are a little over the top.

Apparently the standard for "classy" in the NFL is anyone who doesn't get arrested for drugs, guns, wife beating/rape or running over people with your car.

don't forget about fathering >10 kids.

K Gun Special, I will go out of my way to say if a defensive player gets 3 sacks in a losing effort where his team was getting manhandled, he had a great day. This is because the Falcons did not need to pass much once they established a lead. This also shows that he played with a lot of heart.

Schobel was above average, could have been to more pro bowls if he played on a better team. Simply put.

don't forget about fathering >10 kids.

K Gun Special, I will go out of my way to say if a defensive player gets 3 sacks in a losing effort where his team was getting manhandled, he had a great day. This is because the Falcons did not need to pass much once they established a lead. This also shows that he played with a lot of heart.

Schobel was above average, could have been to more pro bowls if he played on a better team. Simply put.

i agree with your other points.

My point is there a difference in a stat guy and a great player. Schobel was a solid player with great stats. He's a good guy to have on your team, esp when lacking for other sack guys. But 3 sacks in a blowout loss is not a great day, its just how schobel was, gets some sacks that dont really affect the outcome of the game.

As to his leadership? im not sure where this is coming from, I dont recall any bills saying his leadership will be missed....which is usually what you hear in these situations (cue some of you googling for 20 mins to prove me wrong). Like i said, Schobel was prickly, he did his job and went home.