The real reason Pete Carroll left USC

Fingon

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From May 29th.

"While Carroll was outperformed by the coaches before and after him while working for possibly the best owner, Robert Kraft (in terms of commitment to winning), both of those coaches are NFL legends.

But I think Carroll will fail regardless of what the numbers say. The trade for LenDale White and his subsequent shytcanning was telling. The overpaying for Charlie Whitehurst another red flag. The Taylor Mays incident also raises questions about Carroll's character.

From afar, he seems like a man who is a phony, is not trustworthy, and has trouble being a face to face disciplinarian. He seems like the guy who would cut you but not meet face to face with you beforehand to tell you why.

He fled USC in the face of adversity (increased scrutiny of the program and weakening of their recruiting classes), rather than man up and persevere.

It was always a consensus that Carroll's style lent itself better to coaching college kids than professional men. I, for one, agree with this consensus view."

You could see this coming a mile away. Remember Pete Carroll's behavior when Mark Sanchez announced he was leaving USC early?

I only wish Carroll was coaching in the AFC East.

It makes no sense that a team that he doesn't coach anymore has to pay for his sins. The NCAA is so ass backwards it makes me sick. It's unreal that Matt Barkley will probably never play in a bowl game again.

I agree, but I really don't know what else they can do. Forfeiting games that happened years ago doesn't seem to do much. And while Carroll was the coach there when things happened, we don't even know the extent of what happened or his involvement, even if it was just to look the other way. Alumni can be as bad as anything the coach does, and players know better, too, no matter how young they are. I have yet to hear what a fair punishment would be for a school who is caught cheating a few years after the fact.

I have that "Choke Gesture Incident" burned into my memory. It wasn't so much that he made the gesture that bothered me, but the way he ran and jumped around on the sideline making the gesture.

I live in LA, and have heard so many interviews with him, and he comes across well, but I just couldn't get it out of my head, and always viewed him as phony. As far as NCAA violations though, it's kinda a bad joke. It's rampant in college football.

I know people will argue against players getting paid, and I don't have a solution, but the schools are really raking in obscene amounts of money.

It's shocking that anyone does

His players, for the most part, seemed to love him. I found it absolutely astounding that Pete Carroll could consistently convince about 20-30 college football players to stay at USC and be second string, and perhaps hardly ever play, when they could be starters if not stars on 300 other colleges in the country. It was amazing the back-ups USC has had for a decade, when every single one of these kids (not to mention their idiot parents) were super-studs in high school and thinking they were going to be college stars and destined for the NFL. But Carroll somehow kept the vast majority from transfering.

FWIW, I can't stand Pete Carroll or USC either.

I agree, but I really don't know what else they can do. Forfeiting games that happened years ago doesn't seem to do much. And while Carroll was the coach there when things happened, we don't even know the extent of what happened or his involvement, even if it was just to look the other way. Alumni can be as bad as anything the coach does, and players know better, too, no matter how young they are. I have yet to hear what a fair punishment would be for a school who is caught cheating a few years after the fact.

The sad thing is that there is no protection for the kids. If they want to transfer, they have to sit out a year and Carroll gets off unscathed sitting on a 25 million dollar contract with the S'hawks. The whole thing sucks but it makes no sense to punish the kids that had nothing to do with the sanctions.

IMO, this is just another reason that kids should be able to come out of college after a year.

The sad thing is that there is no protection for the kids. If they want to transfer, they have to sit out a year and Carroll gets off unscathed sitting on a 25 million dollar contract with the S'hawks. The whole thing sucks but it makes no sense to punish the kids that had nothing to do with the sanctions.

IMO, this is just another reason that kids should be able to come out of college after a year.

The NCAA is a messed up organization.

They have a double standard where the players are held to a much higher standard than the coaches who are entrusted to lead them and shape them into men.

If the NCAA really wanted to clean up the sport, they could require that the schools include language in coaching contracts providing for sanctions in the case of rules violations.

This would enable them to financially punish the coaches.

The schools could also then claim a breach of contract and sue the coaches for reimbursement.

Totally off subject but my son loves USC and dreamed of playing for Pete Carroll.........even though had he not gotten hurt and actually been able to make it there and probably would have never started at USC that would have been ok with him......

He is just disillusioned by all of this.....doesn't know what to think.

It makes no sense that a team that he doesn't coach anymore has to pay for his sins. The NCAA is so ass backwards it makes me sick. It's unreal that Matt Barkley will probably never play in a bowl game again.

That's terrible logic. It wasn't Carroll's team, it was USC's team, and that is why USC is being punished. And they are getting off easy.

Matt Barkley is free to transfer and take his eligibilty elsewhere.

That's terrible logic. It wasn't Carroll's team, it was USC's team, and that is why USC is being punished. And they are getting off easy.

How is that terrible logic KD? Did Barkley have anyting to do with Bush excepting money? Pete Carroll is the the leader of the football team and it's Mike Garrett's job to keep the atheltic program clean and both of them failed miserably. Look at what happened to the BBall program, obviously Garrett has turned a blind eye to all of this stuff.

So again I ask you, how is this any players fault on the current team? How are Carroll and Garrett not penalized?

Aren't you a ND fan? I get it now! All my buddies who are ND fans flooded my phone with texts this morning rejoicing over USC's problems. It's sad that the only thing ND fans can be happy about is USC's sanctions. 16-21 in the last 3 years will do that to ya! :cry:

PS- ND still has to play USC this year and sanctions or not, they will lose by 50. :cry:

How is that terrible logic KD? Did Barkley have anyting to do with Bush excepting money? Pete Carroll is the the leader of the football team and it's Mike Garrett's job to keep the atheltic program clean and both of them failed miserably. Look at what happened to the BBall program, obviously Garrett has turned a blind eye to all of this stuff.

So again I ask you, how is this any players fault on the current team? How are Carroll and Garrett not penalized?

Aren't you a ND fan? I get it now! All my buddies who are ND fans flooded my phone with texts this morning rejoicing over USC's problems. It's sad that the only thing ND fans can be happy about is USC's sanctions. 16-21 in the last 3 years will do that to ya! :cry:

PS- ND still has to play USC this year and sanctions or not, they will lose by 50. :worthy:

Dude 50. :cry: I bet the line is more like 75 or 80. :cry:

The NCAA should fine USC and the PAC 10 about $20 million each. That would wake them up. Let the school sue the violators - whoever they are and where ever they breathe.

SC is not innocent in this. But Carroll was contracted by the school to run the program and he was the Chief Executive of Football. If I'm apportioning blame, Carroll gets the biggest percentage. The school was lax in oversight, they get a smaller amount of blame.

And yes, Barkley is free to transfer…after sitting out a year of his life and watching the coach that recruited him and that he wanted to play for, leave.

Meanwhile, Carroll gets to sign a 5 year, $33 million contract to coach in the pros, and leave the school and the players to pay the penalty for his breaking of rules.

Is this your idea of justice, KD? And you think that John Cocktosten has flawed logic?

You might have to explain yourself a bit more clearly.

SC is not innocent in this. But Carroll was contracted by the school to run the program and he was the Chief Executive of Football. If I'm apportioning blame, Carroll gets the biggest percentage. The school was lax in oversight, they get a smaller amount of blame.

And yes, Barkley is free to transfer…after sitting out a year of his life and watching the coach that recruited him and that he wanted to play for, leave.

Meanwhile, Carroll gets to sign a 5 year, $33 million contract to coach in the pros, and leave the school and the players to pay the penalty for his breaking of rules.

Is this your idea of justice, KD? And you think that John Cocktosten has flawed logic?

You might have to explain yourself a bit more clearly.

Every recruit has to know their coach may leave for the right deal in this day and age. Just as an incoming college student has to accept the possibility that the prof they wanted to study with might be so good that he/she gets better offers and departs. Barkley has plenty of options. It's just as much on him and his family to evaluate a guy like Carroll and use their judgment as to how scrupulous he is in running his program. If you ask me, it's been fairly clear what kind of guy Carroll is, and what his priorities are (namely, himself) for a long time.

Carroll's crash and burn in Seattle is inevitable. Leopards don't change their spots. What happened in New York and New England will happen again in Seattle.

Unfortunately for him, I don't think he'll find a home in Division I college football after it. This is the sort of thing that gets you blacklisted by ADs and school administrations. They tend to have long memories.

So while it appears Carroll has avoided penalty, its simply taking a raincheck for later.