Roscoe

The guy was a really good punt returner who lost his confidence in playing wide receiver and punt returner. I think he'll fit this offense just fine and Gailey knows how to utilize guys. But kick and punt returning we have covered I don't think scoe will be back to return any type of kicks

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I chose my words poorly, but anyone watching training camp the past few years saw the exact same thing. For whatever reason, his impressive catches in practice don't translate to the field.

Actually, Roscoe really blew it in training camps the last two years. He had one the highest percentage of dropped passes so never really got a chance during the regular season. Frankly, he never really got very many chances either. I have to agree, that getting him the ball should have been and still should be a major priority.

Pete, i want Roscoe to succeed too. DJ didn't know how to use him. In all of football there must be at least a few offensive coordinators who know how to use a WR of his size and speed. Gailey is a creative one and he will find a way to use Roscoe. If it wasn't for Gailey being here i think Roscoe would have seen his last days as a Bill. But Chan has a history of making the most out of some player positions. I hope for the best and i'm optimistic about what might happen.

When I first saw Roscoe in training camp his first year, I had never in person seen anyone who was as quick as he is. I have been totally confused to why DJ could not find ways to use this guy, to the extent of almost completely taking him off the team and benching him most of the time. It made no sense at all, I am excited that Gailey looks to utilize his talents!

Welker gets 120 catches a year just running drag routes and screens because Brady just stares him down for the entire play until he is open. Now I understand Welker is good, but Roscoe could be in the exact same role and get 80-100 catches easy. We may need film of the other teams defensive signals though...

Roscoe never got on the field because the DJ was more concerned about having a good blocker on the field than gamebreaker. I never understood the infatuation with Josh Reed, because he's oa major reason why this offense wasn't going anywhere....he was a typical DJ player....hardworking, but marginally skilled.

Before we fall all over ourselves in padless 7v7 and 12v12 drills lets see if Roscoe can get off the LoS when he's being jammed by a DB. His ability to return a kick was never in question, his ability to get off the LoS is a HUGE question.

I think the irony here is that my sense is the Bills should be happy to keep Parrish on the roster even if he has trouble getting off the LoS. When he is used well in the PR game, he gives the Bills a proven playmaker on a team which Gailey identified a primary lack as being we need more players who are a threat to take it to the house everytime they touch the ball.

I think the complaints about Parrish dealing with tackling in the real world are simply myopic concerns since they simply ignore the fact that he produced in the real world as a PR guy in this league.

He might fail to be a produce as a WR in this NFL, but if so my sense is given Parrish achievements in the PR game and the fact you can't teach world class speed if it turns out to be the case he simply is not productive as a WR this says as much about the coaches not using the threats he has well as it does about Parrish himself as a player.

Yeah, because he couldn't elude or break tackles while becoming the best PR in the history of the game.

To be fair, that's never been his problem. Getting off the LOS had been (all it takes is a strong wind to knock him off a pass route).

That said, if Gailey's scheme can employ more pre-snap motion, it should allow Roscoe to get a cleaner release and let him do his thing better than we've seen to date.

It looks like Roscoe is the early story in the offseason thus far. Is it possible that Jauron simply didn't know how to use him? People dismiss him and talk about him getting cut, meanwhile they tend to forget that he was 1a behind Hester in terms of returners in the NFL for about three years before last year when he found his way into Jauron's doghouse. Jauron never figured out a way to get Roscoe the ball in space. Can Gailey? Roscoe haters: he's not getting cut so deal with it. I for one am really pulling for the guy right now. Who's with me?

With the exception of the 2 miscues last season- especially in the Cleveland game- I did not understand Parrish's fall from grace last season and removal from the punt return team.

He did seem off last season, but I can't help but think that Camp Mauron had almost everything to do with that.

With CJ Spiller in the fold, and Parrish on the field, I am hoping that Roscoe can become that sensation we all hoped he would be when he was drafted.

I'm hoping that Parrish, Hardy, AND Trent have break-out seasons.

To be fair, that's never been his problem. Getting off the LOS had been (all it takes is a strong wind to knock him off a pass route).

That said, if Gailey's scheme can employ more pre-snap motion, it should allow Roscoe to get a cleaner release and let him do his thing better than we've seen to date.

To be fair, I was simply responding to the comment of "when there is tackling". :thumbsup: Now, if the poster was talking about all aspects of the game when live bullets are flying, rather than when there is tackling involved, then I would agree with you, that he has difficulty AT TIMES getting off the LOS. But I also agree that they didn't seem to try to avoid that issue. You know, like, say, a junior high school coach from Salamanca might see and adjust to. There are several ways to get Roscoe the ball, and in the game, and so other teams have to prepare for it other than trying to make him beat a DB tight on him at the LOS. How many times per game do the Pats stack Welker behind a big WR?

I klnow it's popular to blame everything bad on the Bills, but you are completely wrong to blame him here. Mike Mularkey is one of the most creative offensive minds in the NFL and he couldn't get a lot out of Roscoe. He always shines ever training camp and OTAs because there are no pads and he doesn't have to face physical contact. But as soon as the pads start popping, he disappears. Additionally, he is a terrible blocker so when he is on the field, defenses know it is a pass play.

Roscoe was a great PR but that appears over as well. PR have a short shelf life of being dominant. Parrish has proven some of the few exciting moments of the past few years but he still was a bad pick by a bad GM. I'd love for him to prove me wrong but I doubt it. If he got cut, I won't be surprised at all. We have to spot wasting roster spots on one dimensional players.

Yeah, because he couldn't elude or break tackles while becoming the best PR in the history of the game.

Roscoe is completely "coverable"--in fact, he gets plastered immediatley after the catch as WR. That's not a function of "not using him properly".

This "best PR in the history of the game" is a huge non story. This difference is a few yards and he returned relatively few punts, opting to let many go or fair catch.

FWIW, it's pretty damn impressive that Roscoe Parrish has a better career PR average than, say, Rick Upchurch, who was tremendous. And he's ahead of Hester by almost a full yard per return.

Kelly,

You are absolutely right in saying how amazing Roscoe's been for us compared to greats like Upchurch.

However, with Hester, while he's ahead of him by a full yard per return, Hester is ahead of him by 4 PR TDs and 4 KR TDS, with Roscoe trailing him by a measly 2 TDs Rec and Running.

Not trying to be contrary, but yards are good - TDs are great.

Anyone who watched training camp during the Jauron years saw the same thing we are seeing now. Wait until he does something when there's tackling.

thats total BS,parrish was never used in any way shape or form in the offense under juron's tenure,you dont know what you are talking about!

the kid is absolutly deadly in space and can take it to the housse @ any time,Galiey will take full advantage of that mark my words!

Roscoe is completely "coverable"--in fact, he gets plastered immediatley after the catch as WR. That's not a function of "not using him properly".

This "best PR in the history of the game" is a huge non story. This difference is a few yards and he returned relatively few punts, opting to let many go or fair catch.

I actually agree with you. People jsut think because you're quick or fast that you can't be cover. Roscoe is a sloppy route runner and can easily be jammed at the line. A sloppy route makes you very coverable.

Roscoe Parrish is not a very good receiver.

Perhaps I chose my words poorly, but anyone watching training camp the past few years saw the exact same thing. For whatever reason, his impressive catches in practice don't translate to the field.

with cj in the backfield and roscoe in the slot, there will be some mismatches to exploit......Gailey is an offfensive GURU who has to be licking his chops at the thought of two sub 4.3 guy on the same field, i know i am

Kelly,

You are absolutely right in saying how amazing Roscoe's been for us compared to greats like Upchurch.

However, with Hester, while he's ahead of him by a full yard per return, Hester is ahead of him by 4 PR TDs and 4 KR TDS, with Roscoe trailing him by a measly 2 TDs Rec and Running.

Not trying to be contrary, but yards are good - TDs are great.

You are right---and to go further....

In Roscoe's "best in the history of the NFL" year of 2007, Hester was the far better PR with far more returns and way more yards--it wasn't even close. Parrish had only 27 returns--and he only bested Hester in one category-YPR--and by a total of 2 feet! In fact, in 3 seasons, Parrish has only returned 53 punts.

Kelly,

Over Roscoe's first four seasons, he averaged 14 yards per return (1,312 on 94 punts), which is certainly the best in the past 30 years.

Last year was a train wreck for everyone and I think being in DJ's dog house certainly affected Roscoe's confidence on letting balls go over his head. If he's feeling more involved under Gailey, I'm hopeful we'll see more from his return game as well.

BTW, Hester's averaged only 6.9 yards per PR the last two seasons, with no TDs...

Over Roscoe's first four seasons, he averaged 14 yards per return (1,312 on 94 punts), which is certainly the best in the past 30 years.

Last year was a train wreck for everyone and I think being in DJ's dog house certainly affected Roscoe's confidence on letting balls go over his head. If he's feeling more involved under Gailey, I'm hopeful we'll see more from his return game as well.

BTW, Hester's averaged only 6.9 yards per PR the last two seasons, with no TDs...

Neither has been great the past two seasons--no points for pointing that out.

If last year was train, how about '08--he only had 21 returns......against 10 fair catches.

Average is fairly meaningless when the difference between the top players is a few feet---nothing that really impacts the offense.

"he's uncoverable"

I laughed out loud and showed my buddy. He laughed out loud too. Then cut and pasted it and sent it to another buddy. Who in turn forwarded it to me.

He's one of the best punt returners ever.