For Arguments Sake, IF Edwards Looks Great

What would be the biggest bone to throw at Baltimore for Gaither. Again, this is ONLY if Edwards looks damn good. If it turns out that LT was the one thing holding this team back and they failed to address it, it could really prove to be costly.

Save the Trent sucks comments because I already said IF.....

Well to get this back on track, if quarterbacking wasn't an issue and the only thing holding us back was LOT?

At this point, the same options exist. Jared Gaither, Jammal Brown, and Flozell Adams.

So I wouldn't target only Gaither. Because of the three options, the Bills have a bit of leverage here, especially considering that many of the teams seemingly filled their tackle needs via the draft.

Adams is a free agent who would probably want a big, one-year deal to stop gap for us (a la Terrell Owens).

Gaither and Brown would require some trade compensation…Gaither probably more…and Gaither would most likely want a new long term contract, so he would be the most expensive as far as trade cost and salary compensation.

It was reported that the Ravens wanted a 2nd round pick for Gaither and the Bills were not willing to give it up. Could they get Brown for a 3rd?

What would be the biggest bone to throw at Baltimore for Gaither. Again, this is ONLY if Edwards looks damn good. If it turns out that LT was the one thing holding this team back and they failed to address it, it could really prove to be costly.

Not having a presentable LT is not the only thing that this team lacks. It is going to take a few years and an infusion of talent to get this team to a playoff level. Not all issues are going to be addressed in one year. If the front office consistently performs competently in due time this team will be taken seriously. Moving in the right direction is better than moving in the wrong direction, or being stuck in the mud. Right now, I will settle for watching better performances and having the team steadily get better.

Don't expect Gaither to be a long term answer at LT. A lazy player is never a long term answer to anything. I'm not against getting a stop gap LT off the market. But investing in Gaither is like investing in fools gold.

you aren't going to have to worry about Edwards. Fitzpatrick will be the starter.

Plays like his long touchdown run last year and his ability and willingness to throw down the middle of the field are the reasons why.

That's crazy talk.

Fitz is the worst QB on the roster. He's a servicable backup, nothing more. He's terribly inaccurate, has a weak arm and just doesn't have the ability to lead a team to a W week in and week out.

If the Bills don't feel comfortable trying to put Brown on the PS, it wouldn't shock me at all to see Fitz cut in camp. He'll get cut before Brohm (unless Brohm is a total disaster in pre-season).

Trent is the starter. Lock it up. He just needs to prove he can stay healthy for a full 16 games. But I'm not holding my breath.

you aren't going to have to worry about Edwards. Fitzpatrick will be the starter.

Plays like his long touchdown run last year and his ability and willingness to throw down the middle of the field are the reasons why.

Honestly, Fitz would be the only pick for QB that would truly make me lose interest all season long.....

That's crazy talk.

Fitz is the worst QB on the roster. He's a servicable backup, nothing more. He's terribly inaccurate, has a weak arm and just doesn't have the ability to lead a team to a W week in and week out.

If the Bills don't feel comfortable trying to put Brown on the PS, it wouldn't shock me at all to see Fitz cut in camp. He'll get cut before Brohm (unless Brohm is a total disaster in pre-season).

Trent is the starter. Lock it up. He just needs to prove he can stay healthy for a full 16 games. But I'm not holding my breath.

Honestly, Fitz would be the only pick for QB that would truly make me lose interest all season long.....

I know it's absurd that I'm now scolding the original poster but...

Firstly, on the quarterback debate, can we wait to see a few preseason games? Or are you both omniscient?

Secondly, the thread was about if we get good QB play, what price do we pay for a left tackle?

Okay. I feel better now.

Not sre why everyone says that Gaither would be such a great player. I have been looking at his old game tapes and listening to what the "so called" pros are saying about him. So far from what I hear and see he is LAZY and gets hurt too much. Not to mention he's going to want pro bowl LT kinda money. Not worth it IMO. Let our line gell and become better together. We'll be fine. :thumbsup:

Well to get this back on track, if quarterbacking wasn't an issue and the only thing holding us back was LOT?

At this point, the same options exist. Jared Gaither, Jammal Brown, and Flozell Adams.

So I wouldn't target only Gaither. Because of the three options, the Bills have a bit of leverage here, especially considering that many of the teams seemingly filled their tackle needs via the draft.

Adams is a free agent who would probably want a big, one-year deal to stop gap for us (a la Terrell Owens).

Gaither and Brown would require some trade compensation…Gaither probably more…and Gaither would most likely want a new long term contract, so he would be the most expensive as far as trade cost and salary compensation.

It was reported that the Ravens wanted a 2nd round pick for Gaither and the Bills were not willing to give it up. Could they get Brown for a 3rd?

The Best trade the Bills could make is a three way trade where the Bills get Gathier, Ravens get a 2nd(From Seahawks), and the Seahawks get Lynch and a 5th(From the Bills). This will solve a couple of problems on this team. :thumbsup:

Firstly, on the quarterback debate, can we wait to see a few preseason games? Or are you both omniscient?

Secondly, the thread was about if we get good QB play, what price do we pay for a left tackle?

Okay. I feel better now.

It's like spilling a jar of marbles on a table and hoping they won't roll off the edge...

I would hate to break it to you but even if we trade for Gaither and we get unexpected production out of the QB position we still have other holes on the offensive side of the ball. We still are short a number two WR and Nelson is a crapshoot to develop into a tightend. Also our RT and C positions are far from set either. So yeah even if we plug our two biggest holes on O we still lack in other areas.

It was reported that the Ravens wanted a 2nd round pick for Gaither and the Bills were not willing to give it up. Could they get BrowIn for a 3rd?

How about going back to Seattle and see if they would take Lynch for a third round pick? Then go to the Saints and try to work out a deal for Brown for a third or fourth round pick. The Saints are probably not going to give Brown an extension when his contract runs out. I believe he has one more year on his deal. In addition, the Saints drafted LT Charles Brown in the second round and they have some decent LTs who played in JB's spot last year when he was hurt.

Okay. I feel better now.

How many games do you need to see Fitz play before you can judge him? There's more than enough film on both he and Trent to make that sort of prediction. It isn't rocket science. Fitz is athletic and can make plays with his feet. He's also smart and seems like a swell guy. But he does not have the tools to be a winning QB in this league.

He showed it in Cincy. He showed it in Buffalo last year.

Trent had flashes of brilliance. But also has a knack for getting injured. If he can't stay healthy and on the field, he can't lead this team to a championship. That's the big question mark hanging over Trent's head (for me at least). I believe he has the tools to win as far as football IQ, accuracy and yes, even arm strength -- but I know I'm in the minority on that one.

Brohm and Brown are total unknowns. They haven't played enough downs for anyone, outside of the coaches, to make a real solid prediction on how they'll fit into the team.

But, as I said, evaluating Fitz or Trent doesn't take psychic ability. They've had enough time to make a fairly accurate prediction on how they'll fare.

The Best trade the Bills could make is a three way trade where the Bills get Gathier, Ravens get a 2nd(From Seahawks), and the Seahawks get Lynch and a 5th(From the Bills). This will solve a couple of problems on this team. :thumbsup:

I like that idea, although I'm not sure a 5th would be necessary. Any scenario where we could turn Lynch into a starting LT for us is a good move.

I would hate to break it to you but even if we trade for Gaither and we get unexpected production out of the QB position we still have other holes on the offensive side of the ball. We still are short a number two WR and Nelson is a crapshoot to develop into a tightend. Also our RT and C positions are far from set either. So yeah even if we plug our two biggest holes on O we still lack in other areas.

The whole problem right now, as I see it, is that we don't know where the holes are, because we don't know if we have the players in place at those positions or not. Who knows if Hardy or Johnson can fill the number 2 WR, or Easley for that matter. We don't know yet if Nelson can fulfill his potential at TE. We don't know if the young guys can fill the holes on the line, and we don't know if any of our QBs can play at a reasonable level. And on, and on. The only thing that is certain is our secondary is set. The FO tried to fill the holes they KNEW existed with this draft. Now we'll find out, assuming Gailey's philosophy is sound, who is serviceable, who is not, and who is the answer at their position for the foreseeable future. Evaluating a players performance based on the last several seasons is akin to gauging someone's swimming ability by whether or not they survived the Titanic disaster.

How many games do you need to see Fitz play before you can judge him? There's more than enough film on both he and Trent to make that sort of prediction. It isn't rocket science. Fitz is athletic and can make plays with his feet. He's also smart and seems like a swell guy. But he does not have the tools to be a winning QB in this league.

He showed it in Cincy. He showed it in Buffalo last year.

Trent had flashes of brilliance. But also has a knack for getting injured. If he can't stay healthy and on the field, he can't lead this team to a championship. That's the big question mark hanging over Trent's head (for me at least). I believe he has the tools to win as far as football IQ, accuracy and yes, even arm strength -- but I know I'm in the minority on that one.

Even during his "flashes of brilliance", Trent has shown a propensity to check down and a stubborn refusal to attack the middle of the field with any consistency. And other than those "flashes", he got benched and was out played by the QB without the tools.

Fitz may not be the prettiest, but at least he tried to make something happen. Can't say the same for Trent.

Even during his "flashes of brilliance", Trent has shown a propensity to check down and a stubborn refusal to attack the middle of the field with any consistency. And other than those "flashes", he got benched and was out played by the QB without the tools.

Fitz may not be the prettiest, but at least he tried to make something happen. Can't say the same for Trent.

While this may be the case, the problem for Fitz is that we've seen what he has to give. He's maximizing his potential. He's not going to get any better. If he's starting opening day, we're screwed.

While this may be the case, the problem for Fitz is that we've seen what he has to give. He's maximizing his potential. He's not going to get any better. If he's starting opening day, we're screwed.

Possibly. But after 3 years, I see very little out Trent that suggests he will get infinitely better.

Possibly. But after 3 years, I see very little out Trent that suggests he will get infinitely better.

Trent's problems are more mental than physical (you know, with the exception of that whole injury thing), so if "the light goes on," or if this offense makes more sense to him (or anyone for that matter) he could improve. I'm not a huge advocate of any of our QBs, but unfortunately the one with probably the best (and biggest) head for the game is also the one who is woefully lacking in talent.

Trent's problems are more mental than physical (you know, with the exception of that whole injury thing), so if "the light goes on," or if this offense makes more sense to him (or anyone for that matter) he could improve. I'm not a huge advocate of any of our QBs, but unfortunately the one with probably the best (and biggest) head for the game is also the one who is woefully lacking in talent.

If we're willing to admit that Trent's checking down is a mental rather than physical issue (I am convinced he has shown plenty of arm strength when he chooses to use it) then I am not willing to close the book on him being very good until after a year of him being coached by someone other than Dick "Winning is Hard" Jauron.

Jauron coached tentative and it translated to almost every player on his team - the more years under him, the worse they got - which may explain why the rookies - Byrd last year - Trent and Lynch their first year - were always the best players on the team.

If you heard Chan Gailey's interview - gotta love it: "You have to expect greatness to get it." (paraphrasing). I'm sure he didn't mean that as a slam on Jauron, but he could not have delivered a more stinging line if he wanted to.

Winning is Hard = I don't expect to win = we won't win.

If we're willing to admit that Trent's checking down is a mental rather than physical issue (I am convinced he has shown plenty of arm strength when he chooses to use it) then I am not willing to close the book on him being very good until after a year of him being coached by someone other than Dick "Winning is Hard" Jauron.

Jauron coached tentative and it translated to almost every player on his team - the more years under him, the worse they got - which may explain why the rookies - Byrd last year - Trent and Lynch their first year - were always the best players on the team.

If you heard Chan Gailey's interview - gotta love it: "You have to expect greatness to get it." (paraphrasing). I'm sure he didn't mean that as a slam on Jauron, but he could not have delivered a more stinging line if he wanted to.

I am glad to see they finally brought in a QB coach who's done it for a while to work with their young QBs. Expecting both your QB coach and your QB to learn on the job is a recipe for disaster.

Guest dog14787

The coaching on the offensive side of the ball has been suspect over the last three years and the protection has been horrendous so no, I don't imagine you would have seen much out of TE or any Bills QB for that matter.

After watching JP Losman's mechanics get straightened out and actually receive better QB coaching in a new minor league division then he did here in Buffalo, it makes me wonder. I mean Jim Fassel is a decent coach and all, but what does that say about our coaching over the last few years.

Guest dog14787

I'm willing to admit our Glove wearing Mary/Captain Checkdown's propensity to check down has been both physical and mental. "Physically" TE's unable to go long because he's about to be slammed to the turf and twisted up like a pretzel and "mentally" TE really doesn't appreciate getting his brain scrambled and being tossed around like a rag doll.

Note: This just in folks, our glove wearing Mary is going to be checking up this season, not down and Marcus Easley is about to become a household name for Bills fans.

Granted. I'm not predicting good quarterback play this year…I don't know what to expect.

I was just trying to explain the premise of the original post.

Oh, I know. I was just sharing your pain. Keeping these clowns on topic is impossible. :ph34r:

jamon meredith, second round grade gone in the fifth.......green bay practice squad player who started the last four games for the Bills. 6' 5 310 and ran the third fastest time among Left tackles at the combine.

after brad butler got hurt, he was signed, quiet pickup but a real steal

What is it that people don't get about this, just getting a decent LT isn't going to do anything without better play from other positions. The Bills had a Pro Bowler playing LT for them before and the results were the same from when he was here and when he left and the Bills had a revolving door there last year.

As for Gaither, the guys biggest knock is that he is lazy and lacks motivation. Thats one of the biggest reasons the fans ran Peters out of town.

Now with Lynch, why is everyone assuming that the Seahawks are so interested in getting him, and the Bills are so desperate to get rid of him? Teams are starting to move towards playing 3 RB's. The Giants did it a few years ago with "Earth Wind and Fire", the Cowboys are doing it this year, the Redskins appear like they could (and are looking at possibly adding Westbrook right now). The Seahawks already have a couple of RB's and aren't in dire need to have to go out and overpay for one

This is an excellent point. I think DJ got inside of TE's head and owned space in there for the QB's first 3 NFL seasons. Furthermore, DJ didn't exactly give too many votes of confidence in his entire team with his on-field decisions. I recall last season the punt at about 7:00 remaining in the 4th quarter versus NO as a prime example. It was a cowardly, take no chances approach that probably reasonated inside many of the players minds.

There's a time to be aggressive and a time to be conservative. Jauron never could figure out when to be either. When he needed to be conservative, he'd get aggressive (FB option pass w/Losman at NYJ in 08) and vice versa. The only time I remember DJ going for the throat was the home opener in 2008 when they got an INT and on the first play from scrimmage vs. Seattle, TE threw a TD pass to Royal.

Guest dog14787
What is it that people don't get about this, just getting a decent LT isn't going to do anything without better play from other positions. The Bills had a Pro Bowler playing LT for them before and the results were the same from when he was here and when he left and the Bills had a revolving door there last year.

As for Gaither, the guys biggest knock is that he is lazy and lacks motivation. Thats one of the biggest reasons the fans ran Peters out of town.

Now with Lynch, why is everyone assuming that the Seahawks are so interested in getting him, and the Bills are so desperate to get rid of him? Teams are starting to move towards playing 3 RB's. The Giants did it a few years ago with "Earth Wind and Fire", the Cowboys are doing it this year, the Redskins appear like they could (and are looking at possibly adding Westbrook right now). The Seahawks already have a couple of RB's and aren't in dire need to have to go out and overpay for one

With all due respect I tend to disagree, we may have been bad offensively when Jason Peters played here in Buffalo, but we definitely got worse after his departure, especially as far as protection goes in my opinion.

I would not want to trade away picks for a left tackle. We are still at least another year away from being a contender. Never mind the o-line and suspect qb situation. Out Defense is going through a major change. It will take at least a year for them to get the new defense down.

We need to just hold our draft picks, since they will be early in the draft position.

Oh, by the way Fitzpatrick may have a strong arm, but he has poor accuracy. No way I'd want him to be the starter.

We should find out if Edwards or Brohm can be our qb. If not, next year will have a terrific qb draft class.

With all due respect I tend to disagree, we may have been bad offensively when Jason Peters played here in Buffalo, but we definitely got worse after his departure, especially as far as protection goes in my opinion.

Really? cause I saw them end the season in about the same spot in the stadnings, and drafting around the same area

Guest dog14787
Really? cause I saw them end the season in about the same spot in the stadnings, and drafting around the same area

The overall results are from a team effort.

Other phases of the team do participate so just because our record stayed the same and we draft in the same spot doesn't mean our offense wasn't on the decline.