Greatest TV or Movie Character of Last 20 Years

/dev/null

Ahh as to the first bolded point you made, I suppose the ratings should be the most important criteria. I will remember that for future discussions with you regarding greatest anything, film or television. Clearly Avatar rules them all.

As to the second point, well for my part, Buffy was a great show my ex-wife and I enjoyed together. It had enough of the fantasy/sci-fi element that I liked and appealed to her for other reasons. #3 seems a bit high to be honest, but it is one of my favorite series of all times. The show was funny, had some very dramatic moments, and plenty of good writing.

If you know me from my posts, you should know that I don't use popularity as my major measuring stick for just about anything. And I didn't do that here, either. Obviously, Tony Soprano was on a PAY cable network that didn't reach the millions of homes a program like Friends (for example) reached. My real point is, that program appealed to a really specific (and narrow) demographic, partially due to the network on which it aired (which was really targeting young women at the time). Do you really think Buffy belongs above Tony Soprano (for example)? Was Rachael from Friends that compelling of a character?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking Alex P. Keaton has got to be pretty high on the list, and then he wasn't on there.....Then, I realized it's over 20 years since Family Ties was on the air. Ugh - just shoot me now.....

Hmm, gotta bone up on the pop culture there, Chef. I consider myself a trivia buff and take pride in knowing about things that I don't actually care about...just general awareness.

I have to take Chef's side on this one. Pop culture is, by and large, an artistic cesspool, created with little more than cash in mind. In an age where celebrities are worshiped and valued simply for their celebrity, Chef's disinterest is a breath of fresh air.

But to be honest, I occasionally think Chef might be yanking our collective chains when he pleads to have no knowledge of some hot pop culture topic. I mean, if you simply are in an earshot of other people, pass by a TV in a room where others control the remote, or even bump into a commercial watching a sporting event you are exposed to all of this nonsense. Your mind would have to be a total sieve for none of it to stick, whether you want it to or not. I am often embarrassed to know some of the garbage other people are talking about that I really have no interest in. <_<

If you know me from my posts, you should know that I don't use popularity as my major measuring stick for just about anything. And I didn't do that here, either. Obviously, Tony Soprano was on a PAY cable network that didn't reach the millions of homes a program like Friends (for example) reached. My real point is, that program appealed to a really specific (and narrow) demographic, partially due to the network on which it aired (which was really targeting young women at the time). Do you really think Buffy belongs above Tony Soprano (for example)? Was Rachael from Friends that compelling of a character?

Actually, yes I do believe Buffy should be over Tony (both the character and the show). (I'll give you Rachael though - I didn't watch many episodes of Friends, but it seemed like a generic comedy show to me).

I disagree with the "mainly teenage girls and gay males" line -- it's a show that easily reached out to many demographics, if they were able to find it. Culturally, it did a great job empowering women and was very groundbreaking in many ways. It showed that women can be powerful and tender at the same time. It showed death and how people react to it (many main characters died suddenly in the show). Heck, it even had the first lesbian sex scene on television, so that has to count for something around here, right? <_<

http://www.afterellen.com/archive/ellen/TV/buffy-sex.html

Buftex says that he thinks Sopranos opened the door for "good, adult television" (I'm sure he didn't mean THAT kind of adult programming :( ), but I'd counter that Buffy was doing that two years beforehand. If you can get past the high school scene of the first few seasons and the title of the show (which was picked on purpose for the silly factor), you'd see some very deep writing, excellent story arcs, and interesting (sometimes dark) characters - just like Sopranos.

It obviously wasn't as mainstream as Sopranos (probably because of the title and the fact that there were monsters - ooh, that's a dumb show because it has monsters!), but the writing was just as good, if not better.

In my opinion, at least. :lol:

I do know you from your posts, which is why it surprised me when you referenced the size of the network it was on.

As to demographics: Link

Originally, in order to capture the teen audience for advertisers and merchandisers, the WB programmed a variety of teen-centered series like Buffy, whose appeals to youthfulness were collectively embraced by a multigenerational audience. This origin is crucial, because the wide range of merchandise produced for the series, such as novels, comics, role-playing games, collectable card games, and others offered a lot of material for fans of the show to take part in.

The fact that the original series puts so much emphasis on youth, while at the same time providing an encyclopedic and ongoing mythology, enables it to be consumed by one of the widest demographics imaginable. You’d be hard-pressed at this moment to form a stereotype of a Buffy fan, while the same cannot be surely said about the overly juvenile Twilight series that is currently at the peak of its capitalistic fervor, due to the strict and alienating targeting of its young female demographic. The reason Buffy triumphs over such generalizations is that Whedon created a series with such broad appeal that gender, race, and economic divisions did not prevent anyone from enjoying an intelligent, funny, and deeply engaging production. Whether this passion will continue for decades to come with new generations of Buffy fans remains to be seen, but so long as people keep investing in the series with their money and their minds, Whedon’s vampire slayer will continue slaying all the Edwards in the world, while Bella Swan remains painfully aloof.

Have you watched more than a few episodes (if any)?

Edit - Another link

I do know you from your posts, which is why it surprised me when you referenced the size of the network it was on.

As to demographics: Link

Have you watched more than a few episodes (if any)?

Edit - Another link

I watched a few episodes and it wasn't for me (and I love Vampire stuff...but old school and Hammer films kind of stuff). But from what I saw, Willow was a more interesting character than Buffy and just as cutting edge and influential.

As for those articles, I notice they are data-free. I was knee-deep (or deeper) in demographic ratings analysis, dial testing results, focus group summaries, etc. during a good part of Buffy's run. (I was VP of Research at UPN, the WB's rival network at the time.) The appeal of Buffy (and The WB) was very focused, and not wide, at all. But that's not the main issue here, either. I would doubt many people over, say 45 years old, would rank Buffy anywhere near that high. Just guessing, of course.

I have to take Chef's side on this one. Pop culture is, by and large, an artistic cesspool, created with little more than cash in mind. In an age where celebrities are worshiped and valued simply for their celebrity, Chef's disinterest is a breath of fresh air.

But to be honest, I occasionally think Chef might be yanking our collective chains when he pleads to have no knowledge of some hot pop culture topic. I mean, if you simply are in an earshot of other people, pass by a TV in a room where others control the remote, or even bump into a commercial watching a sporting event you are exposed to all of this nonsense. Your mind would have to be a total sieve for none of it to stick, whether you want it to or not. I am often embarrassed to know some of the garbage other people are talking about that I really have no interest in. :lol:

I'll take the bottom 20

100. Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights - Heard of it, never saw it.

99. The Bride from Kill Bill - Heard of it never saw it

98. Lisbeth Salander from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and its sequels - Say what :(

97. Violet Weston from August: Osage County - WTF??

96. Bernie Mac from The Bernie Mac Show - Heard of it, never saw it

95. Wilhelmina from Ugly Betty - Saw it once because we were at friends for Thanksgiving and for some reason they liked it <_<

94. Truman from The Truman Show - Is this about the President that dropped the bomb? Ok, ok, I've heard of it never saw it.

93. Game Boys: Nathan Drake from the Uncharted series; Kratos from the God of War series; and Niko Bellic from Grand Theft Auto IV - Nope, never heard of it

92. Christopher Boone from The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night-Time - Now come on, I can't be the only one that's never heard of this.

91. Hancock from Hancock - Is this about the guy with the crazy signautre? Nope, never heard of it.

90. Marge Gunderson from Fargo - Ok now this I've seen many times and is worth being on the list :lol:

89. Wikus van de Merwe from District 9 - Heard of the movie, never saw it.

88. Napoleon Dynamite from Napoleon Dynamite - Good one

87. Tony Stark from the Iron Man series - I've seen the billboards but not the movie.

86. Karen Walker and Jack McFarland from Will & Grace - Heard of it, never saw it.

85. Daniel Plainview from There Will Be Blood - Never heard of it.

84. Dr. Gregory House from House, M.D. - Bertie Wooster should get the nod here, not house

83. Jen Yu from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Never saw it.

82. Tracy Flick from Election - Nope, never heard of it.

81. Amanda Woodward from Melrose Place - Lived right off of Melrose place, may have caught it by accident but come on...really

80. Gorillaz, the animated rock band - :w00t:

I watched a few episodes and it wasn't for me (and I love Vampire stuff...but old school and Hammer films kind of stuff). But from what I saw, Willow was a more interesting character than Buffy and just as cutting edge and influential.

As for those articles, I notice they are data-free. I was knee-deep (or deeper) in demographic ratings analysis, dial testing results, focus group summaries, etc. during a good part of Buffy's run. (I was VP of Research at UPN, the WB's rival network at the time.) The appeal of Buffy (and The WB) was very focused, and not wide, at all. But that's not the main issue here, either. I would doubt many people over, say 45 years old, would rank Buffy anywhere near that high. Just guessing, of course.

True, they are mathematically free as far as demographics, but the point should be obvious. They had a broad based appeal (probably more in syndication after you were gone, which is where I watched the show). Computer games, merchandising, role-plays, clothing etc were all created. Joss Whedon did a great job with the series (season #4 kinda sucked). Someone voted her #3. Since you are over 45, I will just assume you are speaking for your age demographic.

<_<

Here's my take:

100. Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights - Heard of it, never saw it. Heard of Friday Night Lights, but not Tim Riggins

99. The Bride from Kill Bill - Heard of it never saw it Saw the first one, and it's a very good choice. Maybe too low, even

98. Lisbeth Salander from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and its sequels - Say what :(No idea

97. Violet Weston from August: Osage County - WTF?? No idea

96. Bernie Mac from The Bernie Mac Show - Heard of it, never saw it I have seen a few episodes. Actually interesting in the beginning of the run. Didn't hold up for me, though

95. Wilhelmina from Ugly Betty - Saw it once because we were at friends for Thanksgiving and for some reason they liked it <_<I Know of the show but have never seen an episode and don't know who Whilhemina is. If it's Selma Hayek than it is OK with me.

94. Truman from The Truman Show - Is this about the President that dropped the bomb? Ok, ok, I've heard of it never saw it. Saw bits and pieces, but I don't like Jim Carey, at all.

93. Game Boys: Nathan Drake from the Uncharted series; Kratos from the God of War series; and Niko Bellic from Grand Theft Auto IV - Nope, never heard of it Have heard of these games, other than that I have no idea.

92. Christopher Boone from The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night-Time - Now come on, I can't be the only one that's never heard of this. No idea

91. Hancock from Hancock - Is this about the guy with the crazy signautre? Nope, never heard of it. I saw the movie. Strange for this list, I think.

90. Marge Gunderson from Fargo - Ok now this I've seen many times and is worth being on the list :lol:Excellent. Should be higher

89. Wikus van de Merwe from District 9 - Heard of the movie, never saw it. I wanted to see this, but haven't yet

88. Napoleon Dynamite from Napoleon Dynamite - Good one I'm not the biggest fan of this movie, but it is good for this list.

87. Tony Stark from the Iron Man series - I've seen the billboards but not the movie. Seen commercials and more commercials, but not the movie. Read Iron Man comics as a kid, though

86. Karen Walker and Jack McFarland from Will & Grace - Heard of it, never saw it. Have seen some episodes and know who they are

85. Daniel Plainview from There Will Be Blood - Never heard of it. Great movie and very good character. I think you might like this one, Chef. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469494/

84. Dr. Gregory House from House, M.D. - Bertie Wooster should get the nod here, not house I know House, but not Bertie Wooster

83. Jen Yu from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Never saw it. Me neither, but I know who it is.

82. Tracy Flick from Election - Nope, never heard of it. Never saw it, either, but know who it is from reviews and such. Gotta love Reese

81. Amanda Woodward from Melrose Place - Lived right off of Melrose place, may have caught it by accident but come on...really Never saw the show. Was Amanda played by Heather Locklear?

80. Gorillaz, the animated rock band - :w00t:Know who they are, and this is one I am embarrassed to know. You aren't missing anything here, Chef.

I was thinking Alex P. Keaton has got to be pretty high on the list, and then he wasn't on there.....Then, I realized it's over 20 years since Family Ties was on the air. Ugh - just shoot me now.....

I was going to say the same thing about Norm Peterson. Cheers ended less than 20 years ago though.

I'll take the bottom 20

I'll take 79-60

79. Elphaba from Wicked :w00t:

78. Patty Hewes from Damages Heard of it, never seen it. Not a Legal Drama fan

77. Mimi Marquez from Rent I know Rent is a musical, but that's about it

76. Tyler Durden from Fight Club <_< 76? :lol: I know we're not supposed to talk about it, but c'mon. Seventy :('ing Sixth?

75. David Brent from The Office (original version) I believe (Original Version) means the BBC version. We don't get much quality TV on this side of the pond

74. Don Draper from Mad Men Solid character and solid show. But if they wanted to do an AMC Original, how about Walter White from Breaking Bad

73. Catherine Trammell from Basic InstinctAs a pubescent boy in the early 90s, I will always remember that scene

72. Kara “Starbuck” Thrace from Battlestar GalacticaWouldn't rate her this high

71. Det. Alonzo Harris from Training DayExcellent character, can't complain about him making top 100

70. Mary Katherine Gallagher from Saturday Night Live :lol:umm, no

69. Miranda Priestly from The Devil Wears Prada Heard of it, never seen it

68. Effie White from Dreamgirls Heard of it, never seen it

67. Borat from Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan Underrated

66. Allie and Noah from The NotebookNot familiar. Also assuming it's a duo, not a single character

65. Lorelai and Rory Gilmore from Gilmore Girls Duo, not a character. Only thing I really know about them is I remember wanted to do a 3way, as I assume most men in America also wanted to do with them

64. Maximus from GladiatorExcellent character, can't complain about him making top 100. Commodus might need to be up here too, Joaquin Phoenix played an excellent tyrannical Caesar

63. John Locke from LostSolid character that belongs up here. But to be fair he is my second favorite John Locke

62. Jimmy Corrigan from Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on EarthNot familiar

61. Vic Mackey from The Shield Heard of it, haven't seen much of it

60. Mary Jones from Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Saphhire :lol:

I'll take the bottom 20

98. Lisbeth Salander from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and its sequels - Say what :(

95. Wilhelmina from Ugly Betty - Saw it once because we were at friends for Thanksgiving and for some reason they liked it <_<

94. Truman from The Truman Show - Is this about the President that dropped the bomb? Ok, ok, I've heard of it never saw it.

93. Game Boys: Nathan Drake from the Uncharted series; Kratos from the God of War series; and Niko Bellic from Grand Theft Auto IV - Nope, never heard of it

92. Christopher Boone from The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night-Time - Now come on, I can't be the only one that's never heard of this.

91. Hancock from Hancock - Is this about the guy with the crazy signautre? Nope, never heard of it.

90. Marge Gunderson from Fargo - Ok now this I've seen many times and is worth being on the list :lol:

87. Tony Stark from the Iron Man series - I've seen the billboards but not the movie.

86. Karen Walker and Jack McFarland from Will & Grace - Heard of it, never saw it.

84. Dr. Gregory House from House, M.D. - Bertie Wooster should get the nod here, not house

81. Amanda Woodward from Melrose Place - Lived right off of Melrose place, may have caught it by accident but come on...really

For someone who so consistantly thinks everything is beneath him, you sure spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff! :lol:

For someone who so consistantly thinks everything is beneath him, you sure spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff! <_<

Well I just pull the fact that everything is beneath me out of my ass. There is some research involved for God's sake.

Wow Chef, I thought you were being a curmudgeon in your posts, I pride myself on keeping up on pop culture simply because it helps me relate to alot of people in a very basic way....then i saw this list and your comments and you and I are almost identical in our "never heard of it's" and "heard of it, never saw it's"....how frigging scary.....although, i would suggest you at least give the gorillaz a chance....they aren't that bad and they are more than an animated band......at least i think some of their stuff is pretty good.

I'll take the bottom 20

What a pile of crap. Buffy? Rachel Green? That's a list for American Idol watching idiots.

My top 3:

1. Tony Soprano

2. Hannibal Lecter

3. Eric Cartman

You're comparing Buffy to American Idol...? <_<:lol: People here have obviously NEVER seen the show...

65. Lorelai and Rory Gilmore from Gilmore Girls Duo, not a character. Only thing I really know about them is I remember wanted to do a 3way, as I assume most men in America also wanted to do with them

That was actually a good show. I know I had absolutely no interesting in watching it on DVD at first -- but after I reluctantly sat through an episode, I was hooked. Funny witty writing. Chef would hate it, as it made pop culture reference after pop culture reference (not just current pop culture - but even decades old pop culture).