Trent Edwards calls Jim Kelly Naive

He was NOT asked to dissect the problems of the offense from a fans perspective, he was NOT asked to name anybody specifically, he was asked a simple question: Would you have booed the Bills if you were a paying customer?

Here's the question and the quote:

"Edwards, asked if he would have booed the Bills as a paying customer, said: "I'm not a Bills fan, I'm a football player here. I'm a Bills player, so I can't really answer that."

Terrell Owens was asked the very same question after the very same game:

"Receiver Terrell Owens, asked if he would have booed the Bills as a paying customer, said: "I'm pretty sure I would have. They deserve more."

Linky

How did Owens get it and Edwards did not?

Darryl Talley twittered he was both a fan AND a player.

How did Talley get it and Edwards did not?

Christ, he would have been better off NOT answering the question.

Soon the fanboys will point out that Edwards had it right and that TO and Talley must be dumb.

They are doing it with Kelly in this very thread. Despite the fact that Trent is obviously definitely too dumb to definitely understand what Jim is obviously saying, the fanboys keep taking his side. Jim may be right or wrong, but Trent is obviously arguing without definitely being able to understand the meaning of Jim's statements obviously.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what? Jim said a statement that hurt Trent Edwards feelings. Maybe this will light a fire up his ass and prove him wrong. Kelly can say whatever the F*** he wants IMO. And as far as him being on the sidelines... He runs this town. DO IT UP

I love Jim Kelly, but this was one instance where I think he should have kept his mouth shut. Edwards may not be the answer to the Bills QB woes, but Kelly fanning the flames doesn't do anything to help the situation. I realize he has the right to say whatever he wants, but, honestly, the anti-California QB comment doesn't make him sound naive, it makes him sound ignorant.

Excellent post.

Kelly had many great attributes as a player, but off the field I have seen little sign of intelligence.

Excellent post.

Kelly had many great attributes as a player, but off the field I have seen little sign of intelligence.

He loved his only son, unconditionally. Give the man a pass here. it has to be quite a burden

I love Jim Kelly, but this was one instance where I think he should have kept his mouth shut. Edwards may not be the answer to the Bills QB woes, but Kelly fanning the flames doesn't do anything to help the situation. I realize he has the right to say whatever he wants, but, honestly, the anti-California QB comment doesn't make him sound naive, it makes him sound ignorant.

I would have said misguided rather than ignorant or naive.

So you're saying he can't grasp the fans prospective, because he is a player?

He was only pointing out that players and fans have different viewpoints. Just as fans aren't players, players aren't fans. Fans don't have to come to every game or be fired. Fans don't have coaches screaming at them. Being a fan isn't a job. Fans don't have thousands of people judging how good a fan they are every day, going on message boards complaining about their abilities as fans and booing them if they aren't successful fans.

It's a different world. That's all Trent was saying. I'm no Trent apologist, but that comment was totally inoffensive.

Are you for real? What if he said that everyone who works where you work are lazy a-holes, and you say something does that mean you aren't commited to your job? Doesn't even make any sense at all.

I'm dead serious... I can spend my life worrying about what people think about my co-workers or I can do my job effectively and let them keep sucking air. If Trent doesn't understand that better play and leadership will shut up his critics then he won't make it in this league. Plain and simple.

Obviously Trent should take a self centered view of things definitely. He is obviously Stanford educated which puts him on a defintely high pedastal obviously. The fans may be paying his salary obviously but he didn't take economics at Stanford where he went to college in so he obviously doesn't understand that because he defnitely isn't the Bills accountant either obviously. His Stanford education has definitely propelled him to heights where he accepts blame for nothing obviously.

Yeah, and he said that he doesn't accept blame exactly .... where?

I can probably think of more but not giving a crap at all about fans is sort of important so I'll stop the list there.

And again, he said he doesn't give a crap at all about fans exactly ... where?

He was NOT asked to dissect the problems of the offense from a fans perspective, he was NOT asked to name anybody specifically, he was asked a simple question: Would you have booed the Bills if you were a paying customer?

Here's the question and the quote:

"Edwards, asked if he would have booed the Bills as a paying customer, said: "I'm not a Bills fan, I'm a football player here. I'm a Bills player, so I can't really answer that."

Terrell Owens was asked the very same question after the very same game:

"Receiver Terrell Owens, asked if he would have booed the Bills as a paying customer, said: "I'm pretty sure I would have. They deserve more."

Linky

How did Owens get it and Edwards did not?

Darryl Talley twittered he was both a fan AND a player.

How did Talley get it and Edwards did not?

Christ, he would have been better off NOT answering the question.

Both answers are fine. T.O.'s is a bit more of a crowd-pleaser.

Talley is an ex-player. It's easy to become a fan again as an ex-player. The pressure is off.

Obviously he is always talking about all of the problems which defintely hurt him obviously. When Turk got let go defintely and his throwing Bell under the bus obviously. If you search you'll obviously find few instances where he obviously takes any blame definitely.

He obviously couldn't spare two seconds of his time to definitely put himself in the fans shoes. Either that or his Stanford education didn't obviously include the definition of the word "if" or else he would have definitely understood the question obviously. Or maybe he was just daydreaming about the place where he grew up in.

Don't encourage him...

This thread reminds me, once again, Bills fans, as a whole, are not any more sophisticated than fans anywhere else...this thread separates the adults from the adle minded...there are far more the later than the former...this thread is a perfect example of why it is pointless to post on the football forum...very few here understand the concept of context.

I like that people call for a Jimbo mentality and Trent's comments would be exactly that mentality.

Disclaimer: This statement does reflect support or derision for any Quarterback mentioned and is not a comment on the QB competition.

There are a lot of reasons why this franchise is a joke right now, but at the top of my list is the influence the former players seem to have. Why are Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas introducing Buddy Nix at his introduction press conference? Did Terry Bradshaw and Lynn Swann come out and introduce Tomlin when he was hired in Pittsburgh?

No.

Why is Kelly ALWAYS on the sidelines everytime the Bills play on Monday Night Football? Go sit in the owners box.

I love what they did for the Bills when they played, but since they have retired, I see a bunch of ego maniacs who don't know how to handle not being in the spotlight anymore.

I don't like Trent Edwards, but sticking up for himself vs Jim Kelly is one thing I will support him on.

Excuse me - do you ever watch NFL Network? Michael Irvin takes every opportunity to remind everyone he was on the Cowboys and talks about Romo & crew endlessly....

Don't encourage him...

This thread reminds me, once again, Bills fans, as a whole, are not any more sophisticated than fans anywhere else...this thread separates the adults from the adle minded...there are far more the later than the former...this thread is a perfect example of why it is pointless to post on the football forum...very few here understand the concept of context.

Obviously Trent doesn't even get to the point where he definitely needs to obviously understand the context. He obviously doesn't even understand the basic premise.

First he is asked to put himself in the shoes of a Bills fan obviously. He says "I'm not a Bills fan". If someone asked him what movie he'd like to see would he say "My car is in the shop; so I can't go to the movies."? It is obviously a hypothetical question which they definitely didn't cover in the school in the town where he grew up in. Before you start calling all the posters in here stupid, you might want to look at Trent obviously.

With Kelly, Jimbo's point was kind of weak, but Trent obviously addressed an entirely different point than the one Jim made. Jim obviously said QBs from California could not make it in BUFFALO. I disagree and Trent definitely obviously disagreed too. Fine. Trent's rebuttal has nothing to do with California QBs in Buffalo, but in the league in general. He obviously missed the point again. The broader point that he keeps missing entirely is saying something like "I will prove myself and it will be in Buffalo". John Elway having had a nice career does not help Bills fans in 2010. Trent obviously thinks it does.

I like that people call for a Jimbo mentality and Trent's comments would be exactly that mentality.

Disclaimer: This statement does reflect support or derision for any Quarterback mentioned and is not a comment on the QB competition.

Great. We'll make you the leader of the Council of Trent.

friggin apologists

probably think flutie walks on water too don't you

it's not a big deal really - just two guys voicing their opinions.

on one hand you have jim kelly, a bills fan as he has stated . . .

on the other hand you have trent edwards, not a bills fan as he has stated . . .

just wondering . . . who is the naive one here . . . jim? . . . trent? . . . the espn bills-hating media hacks? . . . you?

imo i agree with jim kelly . . . trent has had 3 years to do something to impress . . . and he has failed. california qb's have not faired well in buffalo . . . we all know this. nothing naive about those statements . . . just the facts.

now if coach gailey can turn trent around into a productive, functional nfl qb then i'll be rooting for him every week, even though he is not a bills fan, but i have fears that trent is damaged goods between the ears . . . certainly he has all the physical attributes one would like in your starting qb . . . but imo he is broke mentally . . . i would love to be wrong about this and see trent turn it around, even though he is not a bills fan.

There are a lot of reasons why this franchise is a joke right now, but at the top of my list is the influence the former players seem to have. Why are Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas introducing Buddy Nix at his introduction press conference? Did Terry Bradshaw and Lynn Swann come out and introduce Tomlin when he was hired in Pittsburgh?

No.

Why is Kelly ALWAYS on the sidelines everytime the Bills play on Monday Night Football? Go sit in the owners box.

I love what they did for the Bills when they played, but since they have retired, I see a bunch of ego maniacs who don't know how to handle not being in the spotlight anymore.

I don't like Trent Edwards, but sticking up for himself vs Jim Kelly is one thing I will support him on.

You my friend, are an idiot.

I agree, Trent actually showed more maturity than Jimbo. On this statement

You are 100% correct. I don't remember Edwards ever acting immature? Maybe he showed poor decisions on the field, but that has nothing to do with his mental maturity, maybe his maturity as a QB but that is different. Really both sides of this discussion are being blown into something more important than they really are.

Jim Kelly can say what he feels. Trent Edwards can say what he feels too, but he hasn't done anything yet to prove Jim Kelly wrong. I'm glad to see TE stand up for himself. But I think everyone said what needed to be said. TE needs to prove his worth on the field, not by getting into a war of words with a HALL OF FAME QB.