TG blog on Byrd

Kevin

I like Byrd as a player and human being, too. But what prompted me to reply was this line in the report by erstwhile TBDer Graham:

Byrd, the Buffalo Bills safety and the NFL's only two-time runner-up for defensive rookie of the year

:wallbash: to Graham

:beer: to the football writers who missed this one

kj

Who in the world has ever said that?

There are people here who've said in one form or another that they are sick of nice guys because they want somebody who's aggressive playing for the Bills. They can't seem to disassociate on field character with off field character.

What a humble, awesome guy.

As I understand - he showed pretty much zilch in run defense in his rookie year. No?

The only BUF game televised here was the TB tilt (btw - after Mitchell's gratuitous forearm into Leftwich's throat late in the game...I remain baffled that he wasn't flagged and tossed... along with Perry's continued blitzing of a beaten club, I made a mental note that Bills' players were going to drop like flies).

Byrd wasn't in the line-up then. So I rely on the impressions of others.

His words are nice, but if he proves to be a cupcake against the run, wave him goodbye - since they seem to be going back to a more traditional placement of safties in the backfield, I guess the jury is still out.

As I understand - he showed pretty much zilch in run defense in his rookie year. No?

The only BUF game televised here was the TB tilt (btw - after Mitchell's gratuitous forearm into Leftwich's throat late in the game...I remain baffled that he wasn't flagged and tossed... along with Perry's continued blitzing of a beaten club, I made a mental note that Bills' players were going to drop like flies).

His words are nice, but if he proves to be a cupcake against the run, wave him goodbye - since they seem to be going back to a more traditional placement of safties in the backfield, I guess the jury is still out.

Hopefully he'll improve, but then Mark Kelso and Tony Greene (both effective safeties) were also not "tough" against the run. Heck, Tony Greene only weighed about 175 lbs. A FS can get by very effectively if they're great in pass defense. Hopefully, what we saw last year was more than numerous breaks coming his way. Your strong safety obviously has to be tough against the run more so than your FS.

Agree. Great to see stuff like this. I also like that he could not care less about the Defensive Rookie of the Year Award -- he's totally focused on this coming season and does not care about personal accolades. Definitely the kind of guy you want on your team. And he's absolutely loaded with talent. Can't really ask for much more from a player.

I see people are a bit concerned about Byrd's run-stopping abilities. I really don't care. The guy is a ball hawk. In my opinion, you really want your safety to be a ball hawk. Interceptions change the momentum of a game instantly and are so crucial. Seriously, if you're depending on your safety that heavily in the run stopping game, then something is wrong. I'm not saying you want a cupcake back there, but for cryin' out loud -- your defensive front and the line backers need to be the primary run stuffers. If Jarius just wants to hang back and ball hawk, that's perfectly fine with me if he maintains the same sort of production there as he did last year. I think he'll improve against the run anyhow -- that's just the kind of guy he is -- he'll put in the work to improve all areas of his game.

I see people are a bit concerned about Byrd's run-stopping abilities. I really don't care. The guy is a ball hawk. In my opinion, you really want your safety to be a ball hawk. Interceptions change the momentum of a game instantly and are so crucial. Seriously, if you're depending on your safety that heavily in the run stopping game, then something is wrong. I'm not saying you want a cupcake back there, but for cryin' out loud -- your defensive front and the line backers need to be the primary run stuffers. If Jarius just wants to hang back and ball hawk, that's perfectly fine with me if he maintains the same sort of production there as he did last year. I think he'll improve against the run anyhow -- that's just the kind of guy he is -- he'll put in the work to improve all areas of his game.

:beer:

I'm not worried about Byrd "just being lucky" or anything else because he wasn't a fluke. He wasn't a guy who came out of nowhere on a good team and did something he'd never done before. He was a ballhawk coming out of college. He wasn't benefiting from a stacked team. He was successful because he is smart and knows where to be. He studies and puts himself in a position to be successful. Maybe he won't have as many INTs next year (who knows?) but he's not going to disappear either.

I wonder what all of the people who think bad character makes a player better have to say about this?

I think the mentality of some fans is its better to have a talented no character guy then a choir boy with no talent. Clearly Byrd has talent and (From what we know) is a good guy off the field. You want both but for some fans given the choice they would take talent over character.

For me its shades of grey for the most part you want a locker room of high caliber self motivated players. However if you have to incorporate a player or two with low character but a lot of talent to put you over the top I think you have to consider doing it. You hope that the one or two guys you get do well on the field and the locker room and the coaching can keep them on the up and up.

Fans want to win and talent more often leads to winning rather then character which is why fans want to get talent over character. Lets just enjoy Byrd a guy that has the rare combo of both.

Cinci.....I agree with a lot of what you say on the board but Christ man......

Runner up for rookie of the year and we are saying "improve in this area or bye"

Byrd was not the reason our run defense was a sieve last year.......we were getting our @ss kicked up front on a regular basis........sure he took some bad angles for a ROOKIE but we have a 1st round pick safety on this team that hasn't had half his production and is still on the team.

I want to see what he can do with this new defense......a defense that generates more QB pressure might even improve Byrds game....personally I LOVE him as a player and he didn't even play the whole year due to injury.

You can't teach the sort of ball skills Byrd has. I completely ignore those who say he was lucky last season -- his instincts have him around the ball and ready to make plays. He's not a shutdown corner, he's a freaking safety. He is SUPPOSED to make the other QB pay for mistakes.