"Suprise" seems to be...

... the hope for the optimistic side of the fan base. Here's my take.

I think we are going to struggle offensively, which I think may be my optimistic side talking. I think there's a real possibility that the team may be more challenged than last year. Too many things have to come together for us to put a consistent offensive product on the field capable of performing on a weekly basis. I think we may see games where we look decent. Realistically I think the offense will do little more than serve as an evaluation of what we need going into the next off season, beyond LT and QB.

However defensively is where I feel we have the biggest opportunity to surprise. There are two crucial things that will need to happen in order for the surprise factor to manifest. First, we need to get some semblance of a pass rush from the outside linebackers. Secondly we need for Troup to play solid as a rookie. Obviously domination would be too high of an expectation for Troup, but if he can just plug, that will be significant. If these two things happen we will hover around the top ten in the league defensively.

People need to get some more realistic expectations about Troup, a college "1" technique in the 4-3 defense who is about 318 pounds and was not in a Big 6-conference weights and conditioning program.

Let's just hope we see enough out of him in 2010 to have a reasonable basis for believing he can play at the NFL level.

People need to get some more realistic expectations about Troup, a college "1" technique in the 4-3 defense who is about 318 pounds and was not in a Big 6-conference weights and conditioning program.

Troup put up 34 reps of 225#. He also lost weight during college to improve his conditioning. Assuming his program wasn't up to Big 6 standards, he should get even bigger, stronger and more conditioned.

Troup put up 34 reps of 225#. He also lost weight during college to improve his conditioning. Assuming his program wasn't up to Big 6 standards, he should get even bigger, stronger and more conditioned.

That he did, he also was as big as 350 at one point so he has shown that he has plenty of room to add mass. I doubt the Bills will want him at that level again, but I could easily see the strength and conditioning coaches bring him to around 330.

The 225 bench press test is such a silly task to evaluate players on. They should shoot for a 3-5 rep max.

If this team comes together and our schemes all work, I will eat a pound of dog poop.

Preseason should be fun.

seems like most everybody thinks that

except meathead

offense will be pretty good, defense will be horrible

so rules judge meathead, so it shall be

I'm with meathead. I think our offense will be greatly improved with our 3 headed monster and RB and offensive coach smart enough to exploit said monster.

Defense is what has me worried right now. New scheme with players playing new positions. Say what you want about Perry's Tampa Too, but the D was able to hold points down in most games. I hope we don't get burned on a lot of big plays this year.

But really, I don't know what's going to happen.

I'm with meathead. I think our offense will be greatly improved with our 3 headed monster and RB and offensive coach smart enough to exploit said monster.

Defense is what has me worried right now. New scheme with players playing new positions. Say what you want about Perry's Tampa Too, but the D was able to hold points down in most games. I hope we don't get burned on a lot of big plays this year.

I think (hope?) you are right about the O...it seems Gailey got better production out of crappy offenses before. Spiller could be a demon and cause defenses fits.

I am also with you concerning the D...it is especially frightening when you change schemes and therefore have to change personnel...but I think while our draft wasn't "sexy" and is getting hammered by the talking heads, we took a solid first step back to being in a playoff hunt.

Sure it's premature to say what the team will look like this time of year, especially when we could still get veteran additions, but what else is there to do here? I ask myself, how could the offense be any worse this year? They were so disorganized last year, had so many three and outs - it looked like they didn't have an offensive coordinator most of the time. So, yeah, the offense should be better, just by having healthy guys start from scratch, and an organized, offensive oriented coach.

And, the defense should be better at stopping the run. We're going to be so much bigger - teams will see our run stuffing package on most first and second downs - which will be a big group. I'd bet our secondary gets challenged more this year on account of the running defense being better. I know, it's just guessing - but I wouldn't be surprised to see those things happen.

our offense is going to pounc the run. Every down, and we will be productive if our O line can hold blocks. I have a feeling Wang is the real deal. He has himself together, and may win the spot by next year. Call me crazy, but spiller runs between tackles the best. He is explosive and can change directions on a dime. I believe if we utilize him the way we should (unlike maybin who we drafted and never started) we can be a solid scoring offense.

Sure it's premature to say what the team will look like this time of year, especially when we could still get veteran additions, but what else is there to do here? I ask myself, how could the offense be any worse this year? They were so disorganized last year, had so many three and outs - it looked like they didn't have an offensive coordinator most of the time. So, yeah, the offense should be better, just by having healthy guys start from scratch, and an organized, offensive oriented coach.

And, the defense should be better at stopping the run. We're going to be so much bigger - teams will see our run stuffing package on most first and second downs - which will be a big group. I'd bet our secondary gets challenged more this year on account of the running defense being better. I know, it's just guessing - but I wouldn't be surprised to see those things happen.

I, too, think the team isn't done adding a couple vets. The offense was an abortion last year. That has been completely changed by an offensive minded coach who brought O-Assistants with him to quickly implement his offense. I also agree we'll be bigger/stouter on D, 1st & 2nd down. Just hope that won't be countered by a no-huddle that traps the big fellas on the field on 3rd and 5..

That he did, he also was as big as 350 at one point so he has shown that he has plenty of room to add mass. I doubt the Bills will want him at that level again, but I could easily see the strength and conditioning coaches bring him to around 330.

This response isn't directed at you, per se, but that just seems ridiculous to me. A difference of 20 pounds when you're over 300 seems minimal. :P

This response isn't directed at you, per se, but that just seems ridiculous to me. A difference of 20 pounds when you're over 300 seems minimal. :beer:

If it's 20 + pounds of muscle, then it's not "minimal".

Perry's D was able to keep the point total down because the other team was gaining 60 yards on the ground per drive and eating up a huge amount of time off the clock. The Tampa 2 sucked monkey balls. The only thing that was decent was the secondary, and that was attributed to the other team running it down out throat.

If it's 20 + pounds of muscle, then it's not "minimal".

Exactly.

Perry's D was able to keep the point total down because the other team was gaining 60 yards on the ground per drive and eating up a huge amount of time off the clock. The Tampa 2 sucked monkey balls. The only thing that was decent was the secondary, and that was attributed to the other team running it down out throat.

Wrong. The secondary was really that good.

Maybe it's just me, but I get excited when I see a young team that arguably had back-to-back cornerstone drafts, and is suddenly heading in the right direction. This season can't get here quick enough for me, and I'd bet if all of you really toned down the doom and gloom factor, and just watched a rebuilding team JELL over the second half of the year, you'd feel exactly the same way I do. Try to put aside the QB situation until one, two or all three of them ( the veterans) prove that they can't get it done and look forward to Buddy Nix and crew getting the next franchise QB in next years draft. Simply put, I will wait and see, and hopefully Brohm or Edwards can right the ship and we can address other needs such as the pass rush or the second reciever etc. in 2010. GO BILLS!!!

our offense is going to pounc the run. Every down, and we will be productive if our O line can hold blocks. I have a feeling Wang is the real deal. He has himself together, and may win the spot by next year. Call me crazy, but spiller runs between tackles the best. He is explosive and can change directions on a dime. I believe if we utilize him the way we should (unlike maybin who we drafted and never started) we can be a solid scoring offense.

Don't take me as being disrespectful or a pessimist, but I disagree with a few of your points. Spiller is absolutely not the best at running between tackles, Jackson is our best runner in that regard. He has shown a propensity to find the correct lane and he gets through it quick. The second best at running between the tackles is Lynch, his ability to move the pile for 3 extra yards is among the leagues best. Spiller (at least this year) will not be asked to run between tackles very much, not in the spread offense.

Wang is a project that is going to take a while to manifest into started LT material in the NFL. I would be shocked, albeit happy if he even resembles a starter next year.

My overall reason for believing we will struggle offensively is there are just too many things that need to come together. We lost our best WR (TO), a guy like Hardy or Johnson will have to step up huge for us to even have 2 receivers that can produce. Most teams need 3 receivers to perform and a 4th to be productive. It's a huge question mark and almost unreasonable to assume one will become a serious producer in what would amount to their first year starting. Our starting RT picked up in free agency is a depth type player that hasn't been very good. We obviously have a LT conundrum. We are switching offensive schemes which is much more difficult to build cohesion than a defensive scheme. If Edwards isn't the starter, it will most likely be because Brohm beat him out. Remember what it's like to watch a relative rookie learn on the job.

I just think its asking a lot from this group to even expect consistency let alone be surprising. Of course I believe our offensive minded coach and his staff are much more competent than the previous regime, but its also a lot to ask them to make this team this year be a cohesive group.