"Suprise" seems to be...

The 225 bench press test is such a silly task to evaluate players on. They should shoot for a 3-5 rep max.

If this team comes together and our schemes all work, I will eat a pound of dog poop.

Preseason should be fun.

I disagree. Most guys on this board would struggle to handle 135lbs (Olympic bar + a 45 on each side) for 34 reps.

Bringing it to 2 45's on each side and 34 reps is not only impressive in terms of strength but more so in terms of

endurance.

... the hope for the optimistic side of the fan base. Here's my take.

I think we are going to struggle offensively, which I think may be my optimistic side talking. I think there's a real possibility that the team may be more challenged than last year. Too many things have to come together for us to put a consistent offensive product on the field capable of performing on a weekly basis. I think we may see games where we look decent. Realistically I think the offense will do little more than serve as an evaluation of what we need going into the next off season, beyond LT and QB.

However defensively is where I feel we have the biggest opportunity to surprise. There are two crucial things that will need to happen in order for the surprise factor to manifest. First, we need to get some semblance of a pass rush from the outside linebackers. Secondly we need for Troup to play solid as a rookie. Obviously domination would be too high of an expectation for Troup, but if he can just plug, that will be significant. If these two things happen we will hover around the top ten in the league defensively.

This doesn't sound like an optimistic post to me...

People need to get some more realistic expectations about Troup, a college "1" technique in the 4-3 defense who is about 318 pounds and was not in a Big 6-conference weights and conditioning program.

Let's just hope we see enough out of him in 2010 to have a reasonable basis for believing he can play at the NFL level.

Troupe was a horrible reach . Why not reach for Clausen? At least Clausen could have stepped when in and given us some hope for the future. Clausen would have been an upgrade to all of our QB on the roster.

our offense is going to pounc the run. Every down, and we will be productive if our O line can hold blocks. I have a feeling Wang is the real deal. He has himself together, and may win the spot by next year. Call me crazy, but spiller runs between tackles the best. He is explosive and can change directions on a dime. I believe if we utilize him the way we should (unlike maybin who we drafted and never started) we can be a solid scoring offense.

I think what your failing to consider is that opposing teams are going to put 6, 7, or 8 guys in the box and stop our running game. Stack the line of scrimmage and force us to beat them with our passing game. They have no fear of our passing game. Do you think we can beat teams with our OL, QB and WR in the passing game. I say no and emphatically NO!

People need to get some more realistic expectations about Troup, a college "1" technique in the 4-3 defense who is about 318 pounds and was not in a Big 6-conference weights and conditioning program.

Let's just hope we see enough out of him in 2010 to have a reasonable basis for believing he can play at the NFL level.

you are one of the lesser posters on this board... just needed to say that mr. northern.

troupe slimmed down for starters, so he has the frame to add weight. he played at an solid non big 6 program, not unlike many other excellent defensive players - see demarcus ware, osi umenyoria, etc, so thats not a huge issue. also a 1 tech can often be double teamed in a 4-3 and many times lines over center or off a center's shoulder, which will happen with regularity in our 3-4 over system....

just needed to get that out

you are one of the lesser posters on this board... just needed to say that mr. northern.

troupe slimmed down for starters, so he has the frame to add weight. he played at an solid non big 6 program, not unlike many other excellent defensive players - see demarcus ware, osi umenyoria, etc, so thats not a huge issue. also a 1 tech can often be double teamed in a 4-3 and many times lines over center or off a center's shoulder, which will happen with regularity in our 3-4 over system....

just needed to get that out

So what is your point? Troupe was a big reach and I don't like the pick. Mt Cody was the true run stuffer picked at 57 by the Ravans and Ossie Newsome. Also, could have gotten Cam Thomas who was picked by the Chargers in the 5th round. Great value.

Why reach when you could have taken Clausen at 41. Not a huge risk at pick 41(unlike pick 9). Instead they reach for Troupe who may not be successful in the NFL either. I don't understand the Bills thinking. Don't even get me started on the Spiller pick?

So what is your point? Troupe was a big reach and I don't like the pick. Mt Cody was the true run stuffer picked at 57 by the Ravans and Ossie Newsome. Also, could have gotten Cam Thomas who was picked by the Chargers in the 5th round. Great value.

Why reach when you could have taken Clausen at 41. Not a huge risk at pick 41(unlike pick 9). Instead they reach for Troupe who may not be successful in the NFL either. I don't understand the Bills thinking. Don't even get me started on the Spiller pick?

What don't you get about this? The FO didn't like Clausen - period. They weren't going to pick him anywhere. They wanted a starting NT and not another question mark at QB.

Cody has bust written all over him. Grossly overweight, unable to stay on the field, reputedly also has poor work habits.