R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio

Rico

Are you talking about the site or the actual guy?

The site's down, but he seems to be still alive, but not doing well.

I didn't close the tab yet, here's what it said:

Message from Wendy Dio

Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45am 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away. Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all. We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us. Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss. Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever.

- Wendy Dio

You can leave your condolences on Facebook

and here's the FB link:

http://www.facebook.com/OfficialRonnieJamesDio

I didn't close the tab yet, here's what it said:

Message from Wendy Dio

Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45am 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away. Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all. We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us. Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss. Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever.

- Wendy Dio

You can leave your condolences on Facebook

and here's the FB link:

http://www.facebook.com/OfficialRonnieJamesDio

:doh:

Thanks for the correction.

He will be missed. Loved his time Sabbath.

Heaven and Hell is one of those "must have" albums in your collection if your a big metal head.

This does suck. I cant believe I never got to see him in concert. Drove to one at Darien Lake in the 90s and it was canceled due to the weather. The guy was a rock Icon. Horrible news. The kind of guy that you would think would live to a very old age. Sad day. Rest in Peace Ronnie.

I am so bummed by this - I have been a HUGE Dio fan for years and years....

I remember going to see the Sacred Heart tour at The Aud in Buffalo and being completely blown away. Of the hundreds of shows I've been to that still ranks as one of the best ever. The stage was a giant dragon - Vinny's drum kit actually sat on its back. The wings flapped, the head moved, the eyes shot lasers and yes, it breathed fire (gotta love the early 80's - a show was a SHOW!). Dio came out in a huge crystal ball that was filled with fire - it exploded and the show started. During Sacred Heart Dio killed the dragon with a laser sword. Good times.

As a metal DJ in college I arranged an interview with Dio when he was scheduled to play Darien Lake. Never thought my interview request would be granted, but I can still remember my mother answering the phone and telling me that there was a Wendo Dio who wanted to talk with me. We scheduled the interview but it never happened as the show was cancelled due to weather - one of the biggest disappointments of my life - never getting to meet a hero of mine.

I recall seeing Megadeth open for Dio on their Peace Sells tour - he really knew how to pick an opening act (or maybe he didn't - Rough Cutt was the opener for Sacred Heart).

Through the years I had the great good fortune of seeing Dio solo, with Sabbath and with Heaven and Hell more than a half dozen times. Every time I saw him I grew more confident that he was the best mtal front man ever, bar none - 5 and a half feet of pure fury and intensity.

I realy though Dio might just beat the cancer thing. I was toying with the idea of going to Sonisphere Switzerland next month to see the 4 pillars of thrash on the same bill (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax) and Heaven and Hell was also supposed to play - I was wondering how Ronnie was going to do that and when I read that Heaven and Hell cancelled their tour I felt better about not going to Europe for the show (still hoping the 4 pillars will tour the US - fo now I am settling for Slayer, Megadeth and Testament in August).

I'm glad that some of the new bands know Dio's contributions - Killswitch Engage does a killer cover of Holy Diver as a tribute.

R.I.P., RJD - you fought to kill the dragon and you bargained with the beast \m/ :doh: \m/

Dio was something of a cult figure with my fantasy league, often the league's name would be Dio related from year to year. I just got an email from our commish who recommended that we rename our fantasy football trophy the "Ronnie James Dio Memorial Trophy".

It was approved unanimously.

Watched

3x yesterday after I heard the news. Great camp mixed with awesome cult imagery, plus "Voyagers" star, Meeno Peluce. I can't help but believe that Star Trek got the idea of the Borg from this video.

"We're off to the witch..."

From the late, great RJD himself:

DIE YOUNG (from Heaven and Hell)

Gather the wind

Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Your back's to the wall

Then chain the sun

And then it turns around and face you

As you run, you run, you run!

Behind a smile

There's danger and a promise to be told

You'll never get old

Life's fantasy

To be locked away and still to think you're free

You're free

You're free!

So live for today

Tomorrow never comes

Die young, die young

Can't you see the writing in the air?

Die young, gonna die young

Someone stopped the fair

Gather the wind

Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Your back's to the wall

Then chain the sun

And then it turns around and face you

As you run, you run, you run!

So live for today

Tomorrow never comes

Die young

RIP, Ronnie. :thumbsup:

RIP Dio. A Bills U alumni too. There was a thread here awhile back about who had the best metal vocal. RJD ranked up high. I knew he'd made it when, there on South Park Elementary was RJD singing "Holy Diver".